2 sketchbook drawings

Are you a starving artist, a patron of the arts, or merely looking for an outlet for your creative talents? Tell us all about it here.

2 sketchbook drawings

Postby 1da » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:35 am

playing with colored ink in a sketchbook while i was uploading music.

these are extensions of a Blanket Series i did ten years ago that never got beyond the sketchbook stage. i'm considering this kind of thing for an Altered Book i prepared last year but have not started working it yet.

Cover Me
©07 Daddario

Dancing Cover
©07 Daddario
I'm not really a Bad Seed.
I'm just a Bit Seedy at times.
- Zen-like saying mightily modified
1da
Frantic

Postby Bedford » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:01 pm

I'd love to see the first one as a real life rug.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby 1da » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:51 am

cool, thanks Bedford, i like the way these create an imagining sense in the viewer. i'm still exploring how these work. they sparked similar response on some other sites from being wrapped in them to creating them out of materials but on this smaller scale.
1da
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 am

My first reaction on seeing them was, "now I wonder if I could transcribe them into a lace pattern" .....

This is a piece of geometric lace that a friend of mine has just completed - imagine it without the pinheads in....

Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:46 am

that's beautiful with or without the imagining of the pinheads makinamess. way cool. i like it stretched on the backing, i've never seen the process of making lace. way cool cool. you could make small lace patterns that could be stretched on baseball trading size cards (which is 2.5 x 3.5 inches) and swap them as ATCs with almost anyone. i dont know the kind of time involved tho so it may not be worth it time wise. that is an interesting thought process that brought you to that wondering. cool.
1da
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 pm

Hehe - the "backing" is actually the pricking (pattern) which has been drawn on and the position of the pin holes marked. Most torchon lace patterns are created on 45 or 60 degree grids but this geometric pattern has, as you rightly observed, been "stretched" into a logarithmic grid (it's 7.5" x 2.5"). My friend had only just finished the piece of lace when I took the photo, which is why the pins were still in situ (one does half a stitch, puts a very fine lace pin in the pin hole already marked and then repeats the stitch around the pin before progressing to the next pin hole......) - I'll stop on the technical explanation at that point, cos I can see your eyes starting to glaze over......

My friend would then have removed the pins and lifted the piece of completed lace off the pricking and probably mounted it onto a piece of fabric or card to display it. If it had been a strip of lace, then it could have been sewn onto a garment (collar or cuff for example). There are some more examples in the Hobbies section here on BF (in the Crafting post) .

For the past few years members of the Lace Guild have all been creating little pieces of lace and mounting them on address labels, along with their name and location/address for our Lacemakers Census - 1400 completely different ones so far and still going strong ! These would be the equivalent of your ATC's but as they probably take many hours to complete each one, most of our members only ever make one - just for the Census ! I will try to take some pics of good examples for you.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:42 pm

my eyes hadnt quite glazed over, makingamess. this is the kind of thing i often try to pick up enough on to work out how i could adapt it in some way to something i'll do. so i was thinking about that process step by step and following it altho i did not always understand completely. the half stitch would "tie" the shape and then the pin would hold it so the wrapping could be caught on the half stitch was what i was thinking. i dont understand if that is right or how the lace "holds in place" altho i do understand the pins control the shape and spacing. cool.

i suspected it took a lot of time. so i can fully understand why only one address label is the common practice and why ATCs might not be practical at all.

i'll look for the other shots in the craft area. and yes when it's convenient i'd enjoy looking at more work of this nature. even tho i may not take the exact process into my work, it may give me ideas that i might try because i have a little understanding of how it actually works. cool on that. thank you.
1da
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:15 am

You have understood quite correctly ! I am so impressed, given that I didn't describe it that well :lol: I only started on this great adventure by accident. I had just bought this Victorian house and the front door was half glazed with a fleur-de-lis pattern etched onto the glass. I thought it would be quite nice to have lace curtains in the same fleur-de-lis pattern but none of the curtain manufacturers did that pattern. I then saw Lace Classes advertised at my local adult education centre (evening classes) and thought, hey, I could make them myself....... little did I know that if I had started to make them by hand, I would still be making them 26 years later :lol: It would take me ages to describe properly how to make lace, so I've found an on-line site for you to peruse at your leisure <a href="http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/make.htm">here</a>.

Here's a photograph of some of the census cards
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:30 pm

ty makinamess. i've marked the making lace site. it and the census labels are fascinating. spin off ideas abound. i can understand why hand made lace would be a premium time consumer. once you get into understanding like that, the appreciation of the process makes the end product so much richer, yes. the census labels are cool. i'm wondering about a spider web lace design. i bet there are plenty already but may be i can work our something simple of my own, which is always the way for me, then i know. cool.
1da
Frantic

Postby pilvikki » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:41 pm

i just get bewildered looking at your lace making progress, although i can now see that it's, well, doable. i'm way too ADD to get one ever finished.

still, i'd love to...
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Art