Hourly Comic (Art) Day March 1, 2007 a beginning

Are you a starving artist, a patron of the arts, or merely looking for an outlet for your creative talents? Tell us all about it here.

Postby StVandal » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:19 am

I used to do my own comic book up in Anchorage.. my comic style is nowhere near the realism I do. It's more practical.. in that it's more easy to draw.. haha.. and I guess more comical. It's easy, and that's all I care about. It gets my point across, and people can identify with it. Simple.
I could do more realism if the job calls for it though.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 am

i think the pieces i drew were too complex. simple is the better way to go. i had no idea what i would do. that's why i did it a day early. i wanted to find out if i could do it. the drawings took too much time to be practical imo. but i like that too. quick and easy, is a better way to go for the purpose i think. i'm probably not a practical comicer. the process and the out come was fun for me tho. it's not really about achieving a finished product so much as just doing it and connecting. i think it's probably a good way to develop resource material for later that can be worked into a good panel. humor can be gotten at in a number of ways - as Yogi says dry is good too. i think you could probably use two dots and make them talk too if you had the conversation as you humor.

no big deal see what happens. have fun. i'm sure Bonnie will clue you in to the uploading process when she gets back on line.
I'm not really a Bad Seed.
I'm just a Bit Seedy at times.
- Zen-like saying mightily modified
1da
Frantic

Postby StVandal » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:16 am

Dammit.. I had an interesting night tonight where some broad asked for two shots of Goldschlager, gave me one, then stuffed two bucks down my shirt. What do you do there? That actually doesn't happen that often. She was pretty cute, too..
I guess I gotta write this shit down.
Oh, I think the best parts will be when I get home.
Oh hell yeah.. let the beast loose!
RAWR!
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 pm

hey StV. like i said, i agree with you, i think you have a ready made gold mine for subject matter there. and you've almost already entitled your comic series: Animal Tears, Fears and Laughter.

get a little sketch pad (i used a Canson field sketch book, 6x6 inches, for my panels - they come in a lot of sizes and are wire bound so they can lay flat while working. they have hard covers so you can carry them around - the UW bookstore might even carry them if you are near there). then on work breaks do a little simple sketch and the dialog just so you have a quick notation of the idea down - a couple of peope dots a couple of shots on the bar and a couple of words... may be you'll get one? two? 10 a night?

if you start doing that regularly you'll build a resource gold mine even if it is only 1 a night, that you can flesh out in another sketchbook of more finished work.

on Hourly Comic Day may be you'll get a couple at work too, but you can add the rest of your day hours that you are awake into the sketch book as well and post the day to Day's Worth. cool yes. oh. yes. give it a shot.

what? ya waitin' for me to tuck a coupla bills in yo' pocket o' sumptin'? hahahaha. for the look on your face when she did that. probably why she did it. right? why else??!. hahahahahaha.

hey. was she cute before or after the shot?
1da
Frantic

Postby StVandal » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:51 pm

haha..

Well, I might attempt St Paddy's Day. It's a hectic enough night, and I'm working. :wink:
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 am

yikes. cool StV. altho... may be getting your process in place on a slow night first time... well... heck with it. go for it the way you want to. cool.

i know Bonnie is in the process of moving, her net connection is still off but i left a heads up that a strange and humoristic bar tending character might be interested in playing. no big deal if you dont. go with it if you want to. personally i hope you go for it. but i know life has it's own ideas of what we should do and what we are gonna have to do too.
1da
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 pm

1da wrote:........a strange and humoristic bar tending character might be interested......

:lmao1:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 am

haha - Makinamess - erm... what can i say... i was trying to give Bonnie a little heads-up shock insulation before StV RAoRREd in with cute chicks swinging from both arms to join the partey fray... now that i think about it... may be i better have one of those shots as well...
1da
Frantic

Postby 1da » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:26 am

aloha all and a bump. just to let you all know you are all welcome to play in Hourly Comic Day on April 1. or there abouts. i will be away and back about that time. my plan is to do my day after i get back. you can always leave a message for Bonnie (Victoria) in her comment areas on Day's Worth. the link is:

http://burpingbabies.blogspot.com/

click it and take a look if you want to. you can click on individual panels to see a larger verson of that panel. (now that i know it works this way, i'll make my files a little smaller next time. yikes.)

Bonnie will help you upload your day or do it for you. i will too. just let her know you'd like to play and have some things for the blog. she and i will be checking the blog and email there a lot that following week most likely. we check periodically through out the month too. cool.

i expect to upload my day sometime late in that first week of April. be laughing. and have fun. it's a good day to have fun, yes.
1da
Frantic

Previous

Return to Art