Hourly Comic (Art) Day March 1, 2007 a beginning

Are you a starving artist, a patron of the arts, or merely looking for an outlet for your creative talents? Tell us all about it here.

Hourly Comic (Art) Day March 1, 2007 a beginning

Postby 1da » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:39 am

this is a concept originally set up and intended for one day a year.

Bonnie Clyde (nickname) wanted to do it more often - like once a month.

essentially you draw from your day, at least one panel (or more) every hour you are awake for one day. it can be stick figures or dots - ability isnt the issue.

i decided to give it a try.

the results are being posted in a blog where the originator of The Hourly Comic Day is given credit and you can see what was done on that day (a different site).

this was the first of this "monthly" Hourly Comic Day. some of it is simply life journalling. i clearly have to develop my humor sensibilities. oh. good idea Wrick!

it was fun. and had me thinking along those lines for the next couple of days (including today).

it is sketchbook off the cuff stuff, in between moments of work or life for a lot of people. some of the language people use can get salty and so can the images. so be warned. (my stuff is tame and G Rated compared to some stuff i've seen on the original site)

here's one panel of 22 i did on Wednesday of this week:

you can see the rest here:

http://burpingbabies.blogspot.com/

mine are all the way to the bottom beneath the single panel where i added some color as an after thought test.

you can click images for larger views. i'll make my files smaller next time. oops.

people have just started to post what they did. there may not be many this first time. if you'd like to participate i'm sure you would be welcome to join in the fun.

have fun.
I'm not really a Bad Seed.
I'm just a Bit Seedy at times.
- Zen-like saying mightily modified
1da
Frantic

Postby StVandal » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:01 pm

Wow, that's awesome. That's something I would totally do.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:34 am

cool St V.

wait.

which?

looking in the fridge for pizza, or an Hourly Comic Day?

it'd be cool if you did hourly comic days. i suspect your job probably offers endless potential for subject matter. go for it around the beginning of next month. (some people do little panels at work - a minute here, a minute there. others wait till their next day off). it's not an absolute that it has to be done on the first - i actually did my day, the day before on the 28th of Feb. i may be off island over the 1st of next month but i'm hoping to do mine at some point anyway.
1da
Frantic

Postby ohlia » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 am

You are extremely talented 1da, those are truly awe-inspiring!
That's really cool to see how the mind (your mind ha ha) works/view things on an hourly basis.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:49 pm

1da wrote:looking in the fridge for pizza, or an Hourly Comic Day?

haha.. both, actually.

Yeah, I think my job could offer several laughs (or tears). You wouldn't believe what some of these animals do/say after a few drinks!
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:50 am

hahahaha. thank you ohlia. it's amazing that my mind works at all sometimes *smile*. i think we sometimes forget how different a mind can operate from one person to the next. that's a great observation to make that in seeing a series like this you gain an insight into the artist's mind. cool. i'm delighted that you find them awe-inspiring. i think there is a wide range of possibilities to explore in Comic Art. not all humorous anymore even if you push the edges. ...which can also be fun.

cool, St. V. i'd really like to see you participate in this! i think you'd have a great and unique take on the world around you. the drawings you've shown here (that i saw) were a great exploration. doing things like this hourly comic art day will just add to that. pizza's good too. hahaha. - i suspect a lot of the drinking you see goes on just so some of what happens and is said can be said and happen. laughs and tears both. you probably have a great view of very revealing moments in the human condition - universal to all of us - even if only expressed after a few tips of the hand...
1da
Frantic

Postby ohlia » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:49 pm

... well a story could be established from each sketch and there is no limit to the imagination. What an intellectual challenge it would be for the imagination!
It would be great fun to read the stories of the same sketch by different individuals. My mind is running away lol. :tongue:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:17 pm

aloha ohlia - that's a cool idea. i've participated in "Caption the image" threads where people each give a caption to a photo - most often humorous or clever twists around the image.

i would think create a "Story" around the image might be just as inventive and fun. let's do it. is there a thread on Brainformation where something like this might be best placed? or do you think the Art area is a good place for it? which piece would you suggest for the initial offering on a project like this? better to leave the Comic Day writing off or include it with the image? ...just wonder-thinking out loud on the key board. - cool idea.
1da
Frantic

Postby ohlia » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:33 pm

The art area might me good enough; you could run it by Yogi and see what he thinks. Maybe a sticky in the art section could be used, or you could have a personal journal were you post all your art stuff, and you post each sketch as a separate topic so the stories would remain organized. Someone else might have a different or better idea on how to organize this.

But, the question is, how many will participate in this project? Will it worth the effort? ?
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:04 am

good ideas ohlia - thanks.

i tend to do things that have to survive on their own because i dont usually want to devote a lot of time to making something work. so i'm more likely to put one up and if it gets a few responses or more i'll do another. that way i dont invest a lot of time on something that isnt going to fly. the less people have to do to make it work the better. if it's fun for people they'll play.

the images dont have to be posted sequentially - imo. if it was something that got a lot of response and people wanted it every week or regularly, then i might go sequentially just because that would make it easier for me.

there are some of those i did on that first day that i like a lot and some i feel are a little weak. my inclination would be to start out with one i think is good and see where that goes. i'm sure one you like will be one of the better ones.

it appears to me that you've been on the threads here long enough to have an idea of what might work where so the art area sounds good to me and if Yogi wants to move it i'm sure he'll let us know. he's good about keeping an eye on what is going on. i come and go sometimes. hopefully i'll be here a while - or at least stopping by most days, but i never know. sometimes a project or time will take me away. whoosh. but i come back when i am able to do so because i like it here.

have fun. i'll put something together probably and take into consideration anything you wish to add, then i'll post it later this week. cool. thanks again.
1da
Frantic

Postby Yogi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:22 am

The idea of sharing one's comic art is not new. In the not too distant past I have had some extended talks with one of our less active members on that exact subject. He was interested in using Brainformation as a public introduction media for his comics, but due to technical problems it never happened.

The concept of posting creative works in our forums is a terrific idea and I encourage such offerings from all of our members. We have some outstanding photographers as well as graphic artists in our midst, and sharing their talent would be a most welcome event. Getting the ball rolling is the hardest part. Interest is sure to grow over time if it is not overwhelming in the first place.

At this point in time the best approach would most likely be to do what has been already mentioned. Either dedicate a personal journal to individual projects, or to use the Art forum as a launching platform for the idea. If there is enough interest, a special forum certainly could be created. And yes, Yogi and his co-administrator do try to keep things organized here, so don't worry about misplacing anything. If it's obviously out of place, we can negotiate a home for orphan topics :)

So ... somebody, start a thread in the Art forum, or send me a request for personal journal space. Let's see how creative we can all be.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Makinamess » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Oh, 1da - please go for it ! I would be happy to contribute to a "story" about a sketch, picture, drawing whatever...... I love that idea !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 pm

cool, Makinamess. it's on my agenda. probably tomorrow or late tonight. (my night. hahahaha - which may already be near your tomorrow). i'm behind on about 15 chunky book pages i need to get out, or at least have ready for pick up. i need to get onto those. i've been putting things into place for them but i need to have them closer to a go... yikes... and here i am. hahahaha. nature of the beast of me. at least i know what i think i am doing...

got a panel from that initial Hourly Comic Day set of 22 panels you'd like to toy with, around, on, about... or otherwise? anyone?
1da
Frantic

Postby 1da » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:42 am

update: i've gotten side tracked needing to get some things done. in the mean time i am working on a create a story around this image, image from the 5th panel. i've taken the words off and sized it and loaded it. but i need to get the wordings right... just so all ya'll know.
1da
Frantic

Postby Yogi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:07 am

Waiting patiently ... :anxious:
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:34 pm

How does one go about taking part in the hourly comic art thing?
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:19 am

well heck. stuff keeps coming up but i havnt forgotten this thread...

StVandal - leave a note in the Day's Worth Blog comment area that you'd like to participate. leave it for Victoria (Bonnie) - she'll probably tell you how to up load what you do to the blog.

i wrote an article about the HCD here are some bits of it:

The concept is simple. Once a month on one, twenty-four hour day, draw at least one comic panel for every hour you are awake. The element of comic in this case is a loose and open-ended term. A blog entitled: Day’s Worth was set up where anyone participating can post his or her panels. The blog itself is under the nom de plume of Bonnie Clyde

Around the beginning of each month anyone is welcome to create in any way they wish for the once a month Hourly Comic Day challenge. Fun, connecting and learning is the priority in this event; skill and finished work is of lesser concern. Two dots or stick lines can speak and function as a panel. The event is open to all levels of ability. The work is off the cuff and spontaneous. Work is often in sketchbooks or may be slapped down on napkins in brief moments during coffee breaks or drinking fountain excursions as well as midnight snack raids.

You are welcome to leave appropriate comments in the Day’s Worth blog. If you would like to participate in the next Hourly Comic Day event you can leave a message in the blog as well.

http://burpingbabies.blogspot.com/
Day’s Worth Hourly Comic Day Blog

if you know what name you'll use i can give Bonnie a heads up to look for you. let her know you can be contacted through me too if you want to - i dont know if she'll want an email address or something else or not.

i hope you give it a shot. it's very loose, so no stress. have fun.
1da
Frantic

Postby StVandal » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm definitely interested. I'll make a sticky note and put it on my monitor.
Sense my job is so fast paced, I might just make notes every hour and draw the picture later, if that's ok. If I use a name, it'll most likely be StVandal.
Thanks, 1da!
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby 1da » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:16 am

cool StVandal. i'll give Bonnie a heads up so if you decide you want to you can leave a note for her. her net connection may be off till monday (or next week some time) but that shouldnt be a problem (she might not respond to you as fast is all).

in my opinion your system will be fine. i dont see a problem with it really. i may be off island over or around the 1st of the month. so i may be late, but my intention is to play with it. or... if it really went well... i might commit my comic attempt on my away place. oh. that would be fun!

the originator of HCD (one a year), John Campbell, posted an example of his here:

http://hourly.stereotypist.com/

and prefaced it with: "but it's not an ideal example because i cant draw".

he draws a simple visual and places the humor in his word conversation/thoughts. there is a lot of room for anything you want to do.

have fun with it.
1da
Frantic

Postby Yogi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:07 am

John is an excellent comic artist. I adore that simple style and dry humor. If there really is such a thing, I want a fortune-telling Yoda doll too :biggrin:
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Next

Return to Art