Help! I think my cat is starting to mark!

If they swim, slither, prance, fly or just sleep on the couch with you, this is where you can tell us about your pets.

Help! I think my cat is starting to mark!

Postby Avatar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:03 pm

About 6 months ago, my wife and I acquired another male cat. we previously had one male (spooky) and one female (Puma), both neutered and spayed, respectively. This new male cat (Merlin) was kitten at the time, we estimate he is about 7 months old now. He has been with the other cats for the majority of his life, he plays all day long with Spooky, and a little bit with Puma (who we found a new home for just last weekend). Still, he played well with both cats and our Lab.
Just yesterday, I noticed him stop in the middle of a room, squat, and pee. Then he walked off. Now he it didn't appear that he peed to relieve himself, he only peed a very little bit and moved on. Again this morning twice I watched him do this. The first time he did it I thought maybe the litter box was messy (as Puma would pee all over the place if the litter box was not clean to her satisfaction, Spooky just doesn't care what condition the litter box is in, he'll use it anyway), so I changed the litter, and the next day is when he went twice more (that we caught him). I assume he's starting to mark, and I understand that neutering can help curb this, but I can't afford it. Is there anything we can do so we don't have to surrender him before he causes too much damage?

Postby ohlia » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Avatar I think your cat might be nervous and/or excited. Try petting her and paying more attention to her.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:31 pm

this is what i found on the subject:

Urinating on the rug, floor, in a tub etc. are not usually territory markers, they are signs of inappropriate elimination, that is urinating where the cat is not supposed to. The first thing to rule out is any type of urinary or bladder infection which may have formed due to crystals in the cat's urine. This is a very common reason cats urinate in strange places. Straining and making strange/painful sounds while urinating is common to this problem and a good indicator that it is time to see a veterinarian today.

Once you have ruled out medical problems, urinating in strange places is also often due to litterbox problems. Cats like a really clean box with litter scooped daily and changed completely once a week. They like private quiet areas for their litter boxes. They also like an extra litterbox in a different area. (if 2 cats, 3 or more litter boxes) Some cats have certain preferences when it comes to the type of litter. Have you changed the brand of litter lately, have you moved the location of the litterbox, has another pet recently been introduced?

Once you figure out WHY the cat is spraying or urinating in a strange place only then can you deal with the problem. It should be noted that there are commercial sprays that can help some cats stop from spraying. Before using the spray, you should have figured out why the cat sprayed where it did.

good luck!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdlvettechie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 pm

ok, marking is when a cat backs up to something and sprays on a vertical surface.

it sounds like he may be urinating inappropriatly, and for a male cat this may indicate real trouble, they can get urinary obstructions, urineary tract infections/bladder infections, or have cystitis (a disease of cats that is chronic and causes the urge to urinate when they dont really have to go, so they pee small amounts- sort of like if they have an infection).

BOTTOM LINE!:
you have to take your cat to the vet, he could be sick, and if its the start of a blockage-it could be fatal!
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-- Immanuel Kant

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
mdlvettechie
Frantic

Postby Avatar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:25 am

well he isn't in pain or anything, as he usually does it right in front of me, and there are no special properties to his urine (other than that distinct HORRIBLE ammonia scent). We haven't changed the litter brand, I haven't changed the location of the litterbox in almost a month and a half. Maybe a good cleaning of the litterbox (again) is what he needs. I'll also move it back to where it used to be upstairs, rather than in the basement. I'll try a few of these things, and see what happens.

Postby mdlvettechie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:42 pm

just because you dont see or smell anything in the urine does not mean its not there!

look, I am not going to yell at you but, as a vet tech, I have seen many cats that have an underlying infection that once treated stops the accidents.

another good hint, you should have 1 litter box for each cat plus an extra, (IE: 2 cats=3boxes)

also cats are very texture oriented, so he may like carpet, try putting a rug under the litter box ect....
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-- Immanuel Kant

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
mdlvettechie
Frantic

Postby pilvikki » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 pm

10 year old sweetpea has had piddle problems for ever; he's had an operation to correct the crystals problem, been on medication for numerous infections ; he started peeing all over the house and drove me nuts trying to keep up. there are not many more odours more disgusting than that smell to greet you at the door...

changed the litter, brought it upstairs, scooped twice a day, kept it deep, nothing!

took him to the vets, he's got another infection. got meds.

now to get it down his gullet. eeep.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Pets