Google Earthing.. pictures from space

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

Google Earthing.. pictures from space

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Well, I thought I'd start a new topic here for some of the interesting things in Google Earth we can find. If you have Google Earth, look up places of interest, get a screenshot, and post it here.
There's probably an easier way to export a screenshot from the program, but seeing as I haven't fooled around with it too much, I haven't found it yet. I just hit the "Print Screen" button, go to photoshop (probably use any image-altering program) and open a new file and paste it into there, editing the shot before I save it.

Rules:
Places of interest could be anything. It could be anything from a place of historical interest, something eccentric, something that just looks cool from space, or something you saw that you just can't explain. There's a whole Earth out there, so there's lots of things to look at. Most importantly, have fun! Google Earth can be downloaded for free here: http://earth.google.com/downloads.html
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:21 pm

Here's the Winchester Mansion.. the house the crazy heiress to the Winchester fortune built in order to satisfy the spirits of all the people killed by Winchester Rifles.
The roofs sure are colorful.

Here's the website: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 pm

I've got nothing else to do today.. so..
Here's the USS Abraham Lincoln with some Perry, Spruance and other various class warships parked just outside of Seattle. This thing is massive when you're driving along near it.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Here's a high altitude shot, from about 183.56 Miles above the surface of mid-eastern Quebec. I saw this the other day and thought "This had to have been a meteor impact." Imagine the force of the blast this must have caused! It covers an area about the size of Rhode Island.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:09 pm

Here's one I just found. I like searching for eccentrics like this.
Sometimes when a satellite is passing over, it'll take two pictures of the same spot seconds apart.. when there's cars driving in the area, you end up with half cars.. or something that looks like a ghost car. This is the first time I've seen double cars, especially with an extreme high resolution photo. There's the work truck following the red car on the left, then again on the right.. it looks like the truck's gaining on him. This is in Boston, MA.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:37 pm

cool!

think those warships are parked there in case canada get out of hand? hehehe.

the round formation in QC could be an old vulcano perhaps?

ok, let's see if i can work this out....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:48 pm

pilvikki wrote:cool!

think those warships are parked there in case canada get out of hand? hehehe.

the round formation in QC could be an old vulcano perhaps?

You can never be too careful with those wiley Canadians!
The formation is way too big to be a volcano, it's hundreds of kilometers across. I did a little research and found out it is, in fact, a meteor impact. I would have loved to see something like that.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Well, here's an item of interest to conspiracy nuts.. it's Area 51! (Sorry about the size, it's a big area)..

Last edited by StVandal on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:49 pm

ok, we have new orleans. but what am i looking at? the buildings look like shoe boxes.

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:57 pm

You have the 3d buildings option turned on. It's pretty cool, it shows you the exact shape and height of buildings in the urban area of a city but doesn't let you see a lot of the detail.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:59 pm

i always thought that the north pole was sitting pretty in a sea of ice from hammerfest to vladivostoc and back again. boy, was i wrong!

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:24 am

Here's another one of Seattle. It's Paul Allen of Microsoft fame's E.M.P. (Experience Music Project) on the right, and part of the Seattle Fun Forest (year round carnival) on the left. Recognize the shadow of the building looming over the Fun Forest?

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:38 am

sure do!

we've got one of them in To.

but i have to look for that later... i don't know what the blazes i've done now...

bah!
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:18 am

Here we have the world's smallest country, S.M.O.M., or The Sovereign Military Order of Malta. It's located in Rome, just like the world's second smallest country, The Vatican.

Last edited by StVandal on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:17 pm

well, i'll be...

here's Breda, a dutch city. the bright spot in the middle is flowers. thousands of them!

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:23 pm

i always thought the neatherlands somewhat flat and boring. i thinx i was wrong, here is a shot over the dam. that's a hell of dam!

ok, i'm an idiot. i forgot to recopy!

later...
Last edited by pilvikki on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:14 am

This is a nuclear testing site in the Nevada desert. The largest crater to the north is the Sedan Crater created in 1962 by a 104 kiloton bomb. It displaced 12 million tons of earth, creating a crater 1,280 feet in diameter and 320 feet deep.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:26 pm

i find it begs the question: was that really necessary????
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:04 pm

pilvikki wrote:i find it begs the question: was that really necessary????

Apparently. There's thousands of craters in that area.. the Sedan is the largest. Farther south you can see discolored bits in the bottom of the craters from the nuclear blast melting the sand into glass.

Here's something incredibly interesting I saw while combing the desert north of Area 51. Notice how straight the lines are? This is a hilly region, so the lines don't follow the topography.. very mysterious.
I don't believe in aliens or any of that crap, though this is pretty interesting. I'm guessing it's a missle target? What's with the 3 up top? Just weird..
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:05 am

What? Are you telling me that photo is not doctored up?
That is hard to believe.
Last edited by Yogi on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Next

Return to Hobbies