Google Earthing.. pictures from space

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

Postby Kanthume » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:03 pm

Yes, that is what I thought it was. Too bad there is not a clearer picture.

MS version of this sat mapping has coverage of areas that Google earth doesn't, but they are black and white pictures.
Kanthume

Postby StVandal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:28 pm

I just noticed something really weird..
In the North Atlantic, just east of New Jersey and South of Nova Scotia, there's a small blue square in the middle of the ocean. It's at approximately 39 47'37.59 N 66 14'39.14 W (you can copy and paste that into GE)
It looks like this when you're zoomed out:

Ok, so there's a little blue square in the middle of what would normally be the topography of the bottom of the ocean.
Until you zoom in on it (this is at an altitude of about 3,000 ft).. then you see it actually looks like this:

Why would they randomly fill in a small square in the middle of the ocean with high definition satellite imagery? I scoured the area and couldn't find anything interesting.. WTF?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 pm

weeeird, maybe you're onto something scandalous.

could you post a picture of Madrid?
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:31 pm

Sure.. Madrid's a pretty big city, but here's a part of the central urban area, with the royal palace off to the west (and the opera house just east of that).

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:42 pm

I was just checking out parts of Alaska. There's an amazing amount of satellite activity that's been going on in the last few months.. many of the low resolution areas that I had checked out a few months ago are now high resolution.. including the Mendenhall Glacier just outside of Juneau, Alaska..
Here's the whole thing:

An here's the end of Mendenhall zoomed in close, cracking apart and falling into the bay. Look at that detail!

If inyone's interested, that's at about 58 26'04.90 N, 134 32'53.25 W.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:19 pm

thanks.

that first picture of the glacier looks like a woman's long, flowing hair.
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Those are some fast cameras!
How fast? Well, here's an F14 Tomcat in flight off a beach in North Carolina..

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby kg5uc » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:58 pm

StVandal: "Here's a high altitude shot, from about 183.56 Miles above the surface of mid-eastern Quebec. I saw this the other day and thought "This had to have been a meteor impact." Imagine the force of the blast this must have caused! It covers an area about the size of Rhode Island."

Either a gigantic meteor crater, or an ancient Caldera Volcano. I don't know which would create the greater blast. I wonder if there is any information on it?
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby kg5uc » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:36 pm

Apparently, that particular photograph is of the Kirkland Lake area of Quebec, near Gagnon, Ontario. apparently, mining is it's chief economy, though whether of material left behind by a meteor impact or a Calderic eruption doesn't seem to be known.

One of the Ontario legislators described it as such: "The thing is, my understanding of the north, and I was brought up in a mining town myself, is that in some of these mining towns the environment has been devastated tremendously and I do not know how much greater harm you can do in such areas. I do not know about Kirkland Lake specifically, but I know where I came from with Gagnon, Quebec, as a kid, and you can see that on a satellite photograph as a crater."

I could find no information on the cause of this crater, though it is clearly visible on the map in Delorme Street Atlas. It covers quite a large area of Quebec and is easily the most visible topographical phenomenon in Quebec.

It seems to me it would have been a devastating meteoric impact site, as well as a devastating calderic eruption, if that was the cause.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby pilvikki » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:42 am

well, how do you like this open diamond mine in siberia? it's built like a corkscrew, goes 1/2 km down and is 1.5 or so wide:

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:16 am

You know that famous statue of a hippy on that hill looking over Rio De Janeiro? Well, I finally found it!

History: This statue was built in the late 1960s to remind Rio's citizens to work hard for their own futures and not to just sit around and bum smokes off each other and complain about The Man, man.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Hey, it's Mt. Rushmore!

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby skin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:25 am

Montserrat south coast
CLICK on the thumbnail above to see the full sized picture
Don't you hate it being in an utter good mood?
skin
Bad Seed

Postby skin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:17 am

I'd say it's a boy playing with a very strong maglite.

(CLICK on the thumbnail above to see the full sized picture)
Don't you hate it being in an utter good mood?
skin
Bad Seed

Postby StVandal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:47 am

You know all those windmills in the Netherlands? Well, I just found one!

Here's a closeup of the windmill, from about a 200ft altitude:

And here's the farmer in his John Deere from about 100ft. It's amazing how high resolution these are getting:
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:47 am

I was just taking a look at the main Google campus in Mt. View, California, when I spotted that someone lost their ladder on the roof.

I guess they could always do a search for it. :tongue:
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Previous

Return to Hobbies