Google Earthing.. pictures from space

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 pm

looks like i found penguins:

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Yogi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby StVandal » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:00 am

Awesome..
I've actually been sufficiently busy enough lately to not have enough time to find weird or interesting things on the Google Earth.
One of the easy ways to find the weird stuff is to zoom out quite a ways and look for small high-resolution areas in the middle of large low-resolution areas. There's usually a good reason that they cleared out an area for high resolution imaging, and it's usually because there's something interesting there.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Ok, I feel guilty for not having kept up on this. Using the technique I explained above, I found some stuff in the northwestern New Mexico desert.
I find the most interesting things in deserts. Maybe because I'm so attracted to them (nevermind the fact that I hate being too hot).

Chaco Canyon is filled with all kinds of Anasazi ruins. The first picture is Chetro Ketl. Here's an excerpt I found about it:
"Chetro Ketl is one of the largest pueblos in Chaco Canyon located about one-quarter mile southeast of Pueblo Bonito. It contained over 500 rooms and 12 kivas including a great kiva within the central courtyard. In the cliffs behind the ruin are ancient stairways that lead to prehistoric roadways to Pueblo Alto and other outlying communities. The rear wall was nearly 500 feet long and supported five stories of rooms."

This second one is Pueblo Bonito. Another excerpt:
"Pueblo Bonito, or 'pretty village' in Spanish, is the largest and most famous ruin in Chaco Canyon. Its Navajo name, tse biyaa anii'ahi , means 'leaning rock gap' and refers to a sheet of rock that separated from the cliff wall behind it. In 1941 the rock, known as Threatening Rock in English, fell and crushed the northeast portion of the pueblo. Pueblo Bonito reached five stories in height along its back wall and may have contained as many as 800 rooms. The pueblo was built in stages beginning around 919 AD. During later constuction some of the lower level rooms were filled with trash to better support the upper levels. At its peak in the late [1000s] as many as 600 rooms may have been in use."

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:32 am

i just love the stuff you come up with!

:banana:
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:44 am

Is it just me, or does everyone like a little history lesson?
Maybe that's just me.
I'm still gunna do the history lessons, though! :hmm:
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:15 pm

i love history lessons! bring them on!

tower of london. i don't think it needs a history lesson. woudn't fit here anyway....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:11 pm

Wow, neat!
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:53 am

I was casually just looking up ghost towns of the old west, and lo and behold.. something I never knew.. Dodge City is actually not a ghost town. People still live there!
Ok, maybe most of you already knew this, but I didn't.

Downtown Dodge City, Front Street (Dodge's main street) is near the center. Gunsmoke Street is to the north.

Excerpt from a history site: "Dodge City is a pure definition of the West ... a gateway to history that began with the opening of the Santa Fe Trail by William Becknell in 1821 and became a great commercial route between Franklin, Missouri and Santa Fe, New Mexico until 1880. Thousands of wagons traveled the Mountain Branch of the trail which went west from Dodge City along the north bank of the Arkansas River into Colorado. For those willing to risk the dangers of waterless sand hills, a shorter route called the Cimarron Cutoff crossed the river near Dodge City and went southwest to the Cimarron River."

An image of Front Street, circa 1876.

"...during those early years, Dodge City also acquired its infamous stamp of lawlessness and gun-slinging. There was no local law enforcement and the military had no jurisdiction over the town. Buffalo hunters, railroad workers, drifters and soldiers scrapped and fought, leading to the shootings where men died with their boots on. And that created a hasty need for a local burial place - Boot Hill Cemetery. The cemetery is now a part of downtown Dodge City. It was used until 1878. For six years before Boot Hill, Dodge City had no official cemetery. Persons dying who had friends, enough money or sufficient standing in the community were buried in the post cemetery at Fort Dodge. Others, penniless or unknown, were buried where it was convenient to dig a hole."

Another picture of Front Street.

Here is where Boot Hill Cemetery used to be, now the Boot Hill Museum resides there. It's the green area in the middle. Front Street can be seen to the south.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:42 pm

Wow - there are some awesome pictures here - thank you, I'm off to Google Earth to find some more !!!
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:19 pm

If you need to know more about American places, you should ask the guy who's done all the coursework for a PhD in Geography: me. :teach:

I've been to Deadwood. It's pretty nice.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:26 pm

Makinamess wrote:Wow - there are some awesome pictures here - thank you, I'm off to Google Earth to find some more !!!

Feel free to post them here. If you need help, I posted a pretty extensive tutorial somewhere within this post. Happy hunting!
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:41 pm

This is just one very small area up in the northern Northwest Territories, Canada. The place is completely riddled with lakes, the geography is actually quite stunning. I wonder if all these lakes have names?

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:05 pm

And look at all those icebergs!

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Kanthume » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:36 am

These are interesting. I used to live near the Winchester Mystery House.
But just to the West of the House and a bit to the North are some strange mysterious space ships.

Actually these are dome theaters. They are years old now but they had full stereo sound and stadium seating way back in the 70s. They were used for many test screenings.
Kanthume

Lake Berryessa

Postby Kanthume » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:45 am

This lake is 15 miles from my house. It is a controversial place. It was once a valley with a town (the town ruins are under water and visited by divers). During the Bear Flag Revolt in California, many of the revolutionaries rode through this valley from the Sacramento Valley to get to Sonoma where the revolt took place. While the Lake is in Napa County and Napa County built it, all the water goes to Solano County. The Zodiac killer once killed two people (people from my town who I knew) on the south western shore. The first stunt sequence (airplane and parachute jumping) from the James Bond movie Moonraker was filmed over this lake and nearby Pope Valley. The Lake can be seen in the movie.
Kanthume

Postby Kanthume » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:48 am

Here is another interesting place near my house. This is the home and winery of Francis Ford Coppola. He does give tours of the place but he is removing movie props for a more winery oriented tour.

Kanthume

Postby Kanthume » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:51 am

And a little further away in a secret location is this place: Skywalker Ranch.

That lake is called Ewok Lake and the main house is up from it, where that circle road is. This is only a section of the entire ranch and movie studio.
Kanthume

Postby Kanthume » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:53 am

Can someone show me the Matterhorn on Google Earth. I've looked in the right location but don't see anything that looks like it.
Kanthume

Postby StVandal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:48 pm

It's at approximately 45.966667° 7.65°.

It's dead center in this picture:

It's hard to see from above, especially since it's in such a low resolution area.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

PreviousNext

Return to Hobbies