Google Earthing.. pictures from space

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

Postby StVandal » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:35 am

Yogi wrote:What? Are you telling me that photo is not doctored up?
That is hard to believe.

It's not doctored at all, I took the screen capture myself. Finding weird things like this are exactly why I like GE so much.
If you don't have Google Earth, go to [url]maps.google.com[/url] and in the search field, copy/paste these coordinates: 37 39'54.50 N, 116 01'32.07 W
Then click the satellite button in the upper right hand corner to see a live view.
Last edited by StVandal on Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sarah » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:14 pm

That is incredible
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:39 pm

Here's a peacenick's yard in Raleigh, North Carolina.
I thought peace signs were outlawed down there?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Now this is pretty interesting.. I was poking around our nation's capitol and I probably wouldn't have seen it if I didn't have the roads option turned on..

See it? No?

I'm not a conspiracy nut or anything, but why the hell would our founders build a pentegram out of our capitol, with the apex being the White House? Hmm, now that I think of it, weren't most of the founders Masons? Hmm..
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:18 pm

there's a piece missing on the left arm.

i wonder why....?
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:27 pm

ok, here's the north end of holland with that huge dam:

the whole thing looks spooky.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:23 pm

forbidden city, beijing:

looks like they really meant it.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:53 pm

I've looked at the Forbidden City before.. If you turn on the "google earth community" option, you can see that someone's posted the names of all the halls and buildings. They have mystical names like "The hall of Tranquil Longevity" or the "Gate of Obedience And Chastity". Really neat!

I foggily remember this mountain blowing up. I was 4 years old (though at the time I would have informed you that I was, in fact, 4 and a half) when I watched in horror from our back yard in Tacoma the huge mushroom cloud spreading up into the air, darkening everything in the sky, stretching up to the upper atmosphere. I thought the Russians were bombing us.
1,314 feet was removed from the mountain's overall height by the May 18th 1980 eruption, displacing 3.7 billion cubic yards of material. 57 people were killed as a result, many of them geological scientists. Only 21 of them were ever recovered.

Here's a satellite view of the caldera and surrounding area as it is today;
Talk about destruction!
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:51 am

I found some more creepy junk in a desert! This time in Arizona, just south of Lake Havasu City (I lived there for about 9 months back in '97-'98) outside of Blythe, California.

The Blythe Intaglios are huge geoglyphs - ground drawings of humans, animals, and geometric shapes. The largest human figure is 176 feet in length. They were not discovered until the 1930's by airplane because it is difficult to see them from the ground or the nearby hills, unless you know what you are looking for.
The Intaglios were made by scraping darker material away from the lighter material below. Archaeologists can't agree on how old they may be. Perhaps hundreds, perhaps thousands of years. Reportedly, there are over 600 geoglyphs in these deserts, but this one seems to be the largest and most visible.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:31 pm

No one seems to be as into this as I am, but the thread seems to get plenty of views, so I'll take it a few of you are interested? :hugegrin:

Here is the Benedictine cathedral a block from the pub I work at. It's a University District landmark. No matter how drinky I am, I can always direct myself to the right place by looking up in the sky and seeing it's big green steeple.

Not very impressive? Well, here's a picture I took of it from a block east of it.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:26 pm

I find this stuff fascinating. If my computer system were a little better, I would be doing it myself. Keep up the good work.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby pilvikki » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:20 pm

i'm right into it! but my time isn't mine any more. and this blasted aching sinusitis saps my concentration so i can't remember what the hell it is i'm doing!

how do you post your pictures, vandal?

i've always liked churches and visit any that doesn't have a service going on. never did need one for a landmark though. :wink:
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:12 pm

I have lots of time on my hands.. you can kinda tell.
I just take a screen shot (by pressing the "Print Scrn/SysRq" button) and take the screen shot into photoshop and cut out what part of the picture I want, make a jpg file out of it, then I upload it to an image server (photobucket) account I dedicated to the google earth stuff I find. Sounds complicated, but it's super easy.

I love pictures of churches, too. They're easy landmarks, being that they're usually the tallest thing around.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:29 pm

i'm thinking mine's even simpler. but still, lately everything has seemed a lot of work. like maintaining an upright position....

i'll try your way and see how i like it.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:53 am

Here's a view of the Grand Prismatic (lower left) and Excelsior (upper right) geysers in Yellowstone national park. The last time Excelsior erupted regularly was in the late 1800s, though it did erupt for two days straight in 1985. It currently boils out 4,050 gallons of water per minute and is the world's third largest geyser crater.

StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:39 pm

Those pesky Canadians and their.. space needles!
Here's the world's tallest Space Needle.. the CN tower in Toronto.

I guess that's a little hard to figure out.. the tower is pointing down and it's shadow (the massive black shape) is pointing upper-left.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:42 pm

And here's just some random junk I noticed at the Boeing plant in northern Seattle..

Who exactly gave these pilots their licenses?
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby mamasmitty » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:39 pm

Can't figure out how to get the image on here. :(
mamasmitty
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Yogi » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:17 pm

Code: Select all
[img][/img]

Put the URL of your picture between the img tags and voila!
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby mamasmitty » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Thats the thing! There was no ULR!!!
mamasmitty
Trapped Under Ice

PreviousNext

Return to Hobbies