Cars

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

Cars

Postby Mads » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:06 am

Can buying cars and enjoying driving/racing them be classed as a hobby? How many cars is too many to own?
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Bridget » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:16 am

I don't see why buying and racing cars can't be classed as a hobby. I enjoy driving, but I have never been to a proper race track before, though I would love to have a go.

As for your question about how many cars is too many cars, if it's race cars then I guess it would be limitless?, but everyday cars? One for you, one for your partner and maybe stretch to one more if you want an impracticle one just for kicks. Personally, one car is fine for me :)
Bridget

Postby Mads » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:23 am

I love racing cars on track days. Speed is just exhilarating!

One car eh? Oh dear! :oops:
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Bridget » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:40 am

I love speed too. The best bit about flying is pelting along the runway before takeoff :oops:

How many cars (non racing type) do you have?
Bridget

Re: Cars

Postby haysi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Mads wrote:Can buying cars and enjoying driving/racing them be classed as a hobby? How many cars is too many to own?

:biggrin:
No Mr Mads, everyone should have a hobby that they enjoy. I dont drive, but if I did I would want something sporty, or a jaguar

Hx
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:03 pm

Mads I think collecting cars is a wonderful hobby, and you can own as many as you want too, as long as you can afford them. I myself am a car and truck collector. In total I own 39 different models (some antique) of various colours and I enjoy them all. It’s one of my prized possessions, but soon I would have to part with them because my niece shares a passion for them as well. In the mean time I enjoy looking at them, showing them off and even playing with them. And by the way, unlike yours, my own are toy models. :biggrin:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:15 am

That sounds like an interesting hobby Ohlia

I have a hobby, its seeing how many times Mr Mads rolls his eyes at me :roll: :roll: its practically a full time hobby :biggrin:

He knows I am kidding :tongue:
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:56 am

Up until recently, I thought two cars was too many to own. Now that I own a practical (yet completely unhighwayworthy) truck for hauling things around in, I'm finding myself in need of something for commuting in. Sure, the truck is great for helping people move, grabbing wood for the stove and general hauling, but it smokes more than I do, but it backfires really loud, handles badly, the windsheild wipers don't work (yes, I know how to replace the motors, I just don't care to) and one of the cylinders keeps fouling it's plug. And it's not exactly what you would call fast.

One of my friends is giving me his 1980 Fiat Spider as soon as he gets back from Porto Rico and the weather is decent enough to work on it. It needs a new starter and a hell of a cleaning job. It's just like this one only yellow and not shiney:

So now I think three cars are too many to own (for one person anyway). :neutral:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:04 am

haysi wrote:That sounds like an interesting hobby Ohlia

I have a hobby, its seeing how many times Mr Mads rolls his eyes at me :roll: :roll: its practically a full time hobby :biggrin:

I got my first piece when I was two, a beautiful fire truck. Since then I seem to show an interest in automobiles so my parents always got them for me; I have quite a few collectors edition pieces. Some day to come I know they will be worth quite a fortune.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:38 am

ohlia wrote:
haysi wrote:That sounds like an interesting hobby Ohlia

I got my first piece when I was two, a beautiful fire truck. Since then I seem to show an interest in automobiles so my parents always got them for me; I have quite a few collectors edition pieces. Some day to come I know they will be worth quite a fortune.

That seems like a good investment then, but I bet they mean more to you in a sentimental value.
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:52 am

StVandal wrote:One of my friends is giving me his 1980 Fiat Spider as soon as he gets back from Porto Rico and the weather is decent enough to work on it. It needs a new starter and a hell of a cleaning job.

You might wish to join in on this forum - http://www.fiatspider.com/forum/

I've also got a Fiat but not a Spider :(
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 am

i've also got a fiat. it goes by the name of big tony (or cunto depending if its working or not)
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Mads » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:06 pm

:lol: @ Bea

Mine are all named, which is sad! :oops: I have 5, having bought another today. It's a replacement for one that was written off a while back.

Haysi, your answers just make me :roll: :lol:
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby haysi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 pm

Mads wrote::lol: @ Bea

Mine are all named, which is sad! :oops: I have 5, having bought another today. It's a replacement for one that was written off a while back.

Haysi, your answers just make me :roll: :lol:

what type did you buy Mr Mads, make, model and colour??

Aww, and thank you, I know how much you like my answers LOL

Hx
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:46 pm

Fix It Again, Tony! ;) i had a good friend who was given a lovely maroon colored Fiat Spider. we had a lot of good times in that car! it was so nice in the summer to ride in a convertible!

my car is currently a POS but i'm selling her off before i leave for NYC. when i return from Japan later this year i'm going to finally own a nice, new, shiny, gorgeous new car. i can't fricking wait. it's probably going to be a convertible VW Beetle since i like foo-foo girlie cars that are cute but get good gas mileage. plus, i've always wanted one! :D
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby RobertD » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:40 pm

Cars can be a hobby. Own as many as you like, Mads. Racing them must be awesome. :cool:
RobertD

Postby spithray » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:45 pm

As soon as I've got the cash I'm gonna buy a low mileage Porsche 964 Turbo and take it to the Nordschliefe at the Nurburgring and spend all day going round and round very quickly.
Rose: If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the north?
Doctor: Lots of planets have a north.
spithray
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm

spithray wrote:As soon as I've got the cash I'm gonna buy a low mileage Porsche 964 Turbo and take it to the Nordschliefe at the Nurburgring and spend all day going round and round very quickly.

Methinks that whiffs and I will be joining you Spithray ! Brmmmm Brmmmmm !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:13 pm

I would still like to know the names Mr Mads has given to his cars. :)
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:54 pm

snoooooooooooooooore shall I name the cars for Mr Mads?
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Hobbies