I like tearing down walls ...

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

I like tearing down walls ...

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:07 am

Tearing down walls is the BESTEST home improvement ever! My husband and I tore out a two-foot section of wall between our kitchen and the dining room and it makes both rooms look SOOOOO much bigger. It really is amazing what is involved in the simple removal of a small wall when that wall is a load-bearing wall. Thank everything holy my husband spent most of his life in the construction industry - in that we are able to do most home improvement projects ourselves, but this little thing we did Sunday was no small project. Russ had to build a trussing system to hold up the wall/ceiling until we could get a 2x12 header up there so that end of the house wouldn't just fall in. ANYway, electricity has been re-routed and the wall is down and now all that's left to be finished is the wood threshold that Russ will make from a nice piece of aged oak to transitition from the wood flooring in the dining room to the porcelain tile in the kitchen. It looks GOOD!! Pictures to follow.
So what home improvement thingys have you embarked on lately?
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:17 pm

i'm merely an observer now, but i used to love to get right into it. and that reminds me of the time i ripped down a wall between two small bedrooms to make space for a decent sized one, and found burnt wires in the wall.

hello.... we had to check the whole house to see what else wasn't connecting.

my s-i-l is a contractor and does beautiful work and i do love watching him at it.

:biggrin:
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Yogi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 pm

See my post in Bear Tracks about the newly remodeled Command and Control Center I recently put together. The project started as merely replacing some carpeting, but grew into redoing the whole room and the floors in the hallway as well. I love working with my hands as well as with noisy tools. You should hear the shredder/chipper I have when it comes time to prune my forest. :biggrin:
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Makinamess » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:14 pm

Hehe - nice one VS! Now you know how it feels to watch an ugly, abandoned, derelict building be knocked down by a wrecking ball (I've seen a fair few of them in my time) or even to "push" the switch to (remotely) demolish a tower being removed by careful placings of explosive charges :lol:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:18 pm

I hope this works this time - this is the mid-point before the electricity for the dining room and the kitchen had been moved. Everything is pretty much back together today. I'll post some "after" pictures later.[/img]
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:26 pm

sadly i haven't been able to do anything remotely DIY in a few years. *sigh* i even own my own sander! but i'll be moving in with my dad by the end of the year to Dallas so we'll have lots of projects!

nothing is more fun to me now that i'm older than helping my dad do some dorky home improvement project around the house! my dad is extremely handy and is awesome at DIY type projects. he once tiled by hand a 20'x20' room. his knees were shot but the tile was beautiful and perfect. :)
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to Hobbies