Growing strawberrys any keen gardeners out there??

Be it photography, gardening, stamp collecting, or arts and crafts. Tell us about it here.

Growing strawberrys any keen gardeners out there??

Postby cbw » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 am

I recieved in the mail yesterday ten alpine strawberry plants, now i did as it said and planted them straight out i put them in a couple of tubs so they can get established before i plant them in out rockery.
Now what im wondering is what is the likely hood of this plants actually sprouting and coming on into big strong decent plants im starting to wonder if i have waisted my money and should have just bought established plants in the first place.
Have any of you grown wild strawberrys?? I only bought them as i remember them fondly from my childhood those tiny little berrys that were so full of flavour sigh i want nice strawberrys not dam imported trash lol.
cbw

Postby Makinamess » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:06 am

I grew strawberries a few years ago in the open ground but the slugs got most of the fruit, so you may wish to keep the plants in containers that you can put barriers around (vaseline, eggshells etc), also the containers can either be brought indoors or wrapped up in fleece or bubble wrap if there's a sharp frost. If you do decide to leave them in pots, add some water retaining crystals to the compost to help prevent it drying out in the hot weather. You will need to ensure that the compost remains moist (but not waterlogged), so you may have to water twice a day in the summer. If you do plant them in your rockery, put a little straw under the fruit to keep it off the ground (this may help deter those dastardly slugs as well). Feed with a balanced liquid feed (so that Nitrogen N : Phosphorous P : Potassium K = 7:7:7 say) until the fruit appears, then use a tomato feed (ie one with a high potassium content) for the duration of the fruiting time (don't overfeed before the fruits come though - all you will end up with are a load of delightful leaves :lol:). If we have a very dry summer then you may get an infestation of red spider mite - just wash these off (they don't like water). You may have to cover the fruit with netting or put up a bird scarer (hang a cd off a cane in the ground) or the birds will be feeding on your efforts instead of you !

I now have the occasional strawberry plant pop up in my garden - but I don't know whether these come from runners or seeds off the original ones I grew or if the local birdies have dropped the seeds (via their digestive systems) after they've been feeding on other plants in the area !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby cbw » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 am

Superb thankyou, i do have a feeling i might have made the soil a little to wet when i planted them in to be honest, how long do you wreken it will take for them to start looking a little less droppy??
cbw

Postby Makinamess » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 pm

I doubt if they are looking droopy because of the soil being wet, more like shock at being transplanted from their own comfy little pots into the big new strange world out there :lol: They are quite sensitive critters but should pick up in day or so. I don't know where you are based but I am assuming it's in the UK, so just watch out for a late frost.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby cbw » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Im on the south coast, i have them in a two tear hanging basket thing that is free standing poor things do look kinda shocked i have to admit lol thankyou for your help xx
cbw

Return to Hobbies