Messy Surprise

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Messy Surprise

Postby Makinamess » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:16 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:34 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:36 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:40 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:34 pm

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:09 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Time for a Dessert

Postby Makinamess » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:12 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:16 am

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:06 am

Vegetable & Lentil Stew

1 large baking potato, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 small sweet potato, cubed
100 g mushrooms, thickly sliced
100 g white cabbage, chopped
1 courgette, thickly sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 large leek, sliced
1 pepper, thickly chopped (any colours)
Other veg you like (aubergine, swede, parsnip etc)
3 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
3 tbsp oil (olive, groundnut or vegetable)
1 can lentil dahl (or chickpea dahl) (400g)
1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
Spices – chilli powder, mustard seeds, black pepper, salt
Fresh herbs (parsley, chives etc) – a good handful or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs

Saute the onion and garlic (optional) in the oil in a large saucepan until translucent, then add all the hard veg (potatoes, leek, carrots, cabbage, parsnip, swede etc) and put lid on saucepan and allow to steam away for about 15 minutes, stirring now and then. Add spices (say ¼ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp mustard seeds (optional) and lots of black pepper, stir well, lid off. After about 5 mins, add mushrooms and peppers and any other soft veg (aubergine, courgette etc), and toss in the oil and spices for about 5 mins. Add chopped tomatoes and lentil dahl and 2 cans water and stir well. Add some salt and the herbs and bring back to the boil. Allow to simmer, with lid on, for ½ - ¾ hour or until the veg are cooked. Check the seasoning. Should be thick with the potatoes starting to fall apart.

Great with doorsteps of fresh white bread, tortillas or even plain naan breads.

Note – don’t worry if you can’t get all these veg – any combination will do.

Last edited by Makinamess on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 pm

Carrot Cake

1 cup sugar
1 tbls lemon juice
11/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, i use 2 sticks
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnut (optional) but it does make the cake delish
a splash of vanilla extract, cinnamon, mace (optional)

cream butter or margarine and sugar. add grated carrots and lemon juice. mix, add flour, b powder, b soda and spices.
mix. bake in a well greased tin.
bake for 1hour 15 mins @ 350 degrees. use a skewer or toothpick to test for doneness.

you can substitute 4 ripe mashed bananas instead of carrots. or if you like coconut use 2 cups grated coconut, it delicious. also you can use cupcake or muffin tins instead of a loaf or cake tin. i don't eat eggs but if you do you can add 2 eggs.

Picture courtesy Makinamess ~ she made the Banana Cake recipe and said it was delicious.

Last edited by ohlia on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:09 pm

Almond Flax Granola

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw wheat germ
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup safflower oil
1 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract

Line two cookie sheets with pieces of parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, place the rolled oats, wheat germ, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, and toss well to combine. In a small bowl, place the remaining ingredients, and stir well to combine. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir well to thoroughly moisten the dry ingredients. Transfer the granola mixture to the prepared cookie sheets, evenly dividing it between the two pans, and spreading it to form a single layer. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

Remove the cookie sheets from the oven, stir the granola mixture, spread it out to form a single layer again, and bake the granola mixture an additional 20 minutes. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven, stir the granola mixture, spread it out to form a single layer again, switch the placement of the cookie sheets on the racks, and bake the granola mixture an additional 20 minutes. Repeat the stirring and spreading procedure, as needed, until the granola mixture is dry and golden brown. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and set the granola aside to cool completely. Transfer the granola to an airtight container and can store at room temperature for 4-6 weeks.

**Note: for a wheat-free variation, oat bran can be substituted for the wheat germ in the recipe. Also dried fruits of choice may be added to cooled granola before storing.

Yield: 2 Quarts
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:13 pm

Apple, Oatmeal, Raisin & Walnut cookies

1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 2/3 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cups oat bran
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 1/2 cups apples of choice, peeled, sliced, and divided
1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup safflower oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, place the flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, baking powder, and nutmeg, and stir well to combine. Finely dice 1/2 cups of the sliced apples and set aside. Place the remaining sliced apples in a blender or food processor, and puree. Add the apple juice concentrate, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, and almond extract, and blend for 1 minute. Add the apple puree mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold in the reserved apple, raisins, and walnuts. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls on to two non-stick cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and on the bottom. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: 2 Dozen

Picture courtesy Makinamess. Those cookies sure do look delicious Messy!

Last edited by ohlia on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Chocolate, Hazelnut Biscotti

1 cup hazelnuts
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2/3 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup safflower oil, divided
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
2 cups vegan chocolate chips

Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until fragrant. Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and increase the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees. Allow the hazelnuts to cool slightly, then place them on a towel, enclose them with the towel, and rub the hazelnuts with the towel to loosen their skin. Transfer the hazelnuts to a cutting board, roughly chop them, and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together both types of flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, place the maple syrup, 1/2 cups safflower oil, vanilla, and almond extract, and whisk well to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold the chopped hazelnuts into the dough.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set one aside for later use. On the remaining cookie sheet, shape the dough into two logs that are 2 1/2 inches wide. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown and feel firm and dry. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, transfer the logs to a cutting board, and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Divide the slices between the two cookie sheets, standing them upright, and spacing them an inch apart. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until dry and crisp. Allow cookies to cool.

While the cookies are cooling, prepare the chocolate coating. In the top of a double boiler, place the chocolate chips and remaining safflower oil, and cook over low heat until chocolate chips have melted. Stir the melted chocolate chip mixture until smooth. Dip one of the cut sides of each biscotti into the melted chocolate and then place them chocolate side up on a rack. When you have finished coating all of the biscotti, place the rack in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate coating to harden fully. Store the biscotti in an airtight container.
Last edited by ohlia on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:09 pm

Crusty Fried Chicken

1 broiler-fryer, cut into serving pieces
2 tsp. accent
1 1/2 c. flour
2 eggs or 1 c. buttermilk
Crisco or oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Wash and season chicken with accent, salt and pepper. Roll in
flour, then dip in beaten eggs or buttermilk. Then roll in flour
again. Fry in deep fat, until brown, about 25 minutes. Uncover for
last 10 minutes of cooking. Drain well on absorbent paper.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:28 pm

ohlia wrote:Crusty Fried Chicken

2 tsp. accent

WHat kind? Southern? Irish? Aussie? :biggrin:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby ohlia » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:54 pm

Bedford wrote:
ohlia wrote:Crusty Fried Chicken

2 tsp. accent

WHat kind? Southern? Irish? Aussie? :biggrin:

:lmao1: i recommend which ever nationality eating fried chicken on that day it's being made, use that accent. i'll be sorry for you if you have people with different accents on the same day :lol: :lol: :omg: :juggle:
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:35 pm

What is Granola?

Granola is a breakfast food and snack food consisting of rolled oats, nuts, and mixed with honey, or other ingredients. The mixture is baked until crispy. During the baking process the mixture is stirred to maintain a loose, breakfast cereal type consistency. Dried fruit, particularly raisins or dates, are sometimes also added.

See here

What is Accent?

Accent is an all natural food flavor enhancer called glutamate. Accent has the remarkable ability to bring out and enhance the flavors of other foods. When you add Accent to meats, poultry, fish, salads, vegetables, sauces, casseroles, soups and stews, you’ll find they all taste more flavorful – in a word – they taste better.

Glutamate is a natural product that’s found in our bodies and in many pure foods including beets, tomatoes and cheese. The glutamate in Accent is made from corn.

See here

This can also be used in place of accent.

Here is a bit more information. Hope this helps :)
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:30 am

Red Pepper, Broccoli and Almond Couscous

1 cup onion, diced
1 T. olive oil
4 cups broccoli, half small florets and half chopped stems, divided
1 1/2 cups red pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and diced
1 T. garlic, minced
2 cups water or vegetable stock
3 T. lemon juice
1 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups couscous
3/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup freshly chopped dill
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley

In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the olive oil for 3 minutes to soften. Add the broccoli stems and continue to saute the mixture an additional 3 minutes. Add the broccoli florets, red pepper, and garlic, and continue to saute an additional 4 minutes while stirring often. Add the water, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the couscous, stir, cover, remove the saucepan from the heat, and set aside for 5 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the couscous while stirring in the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature as a side dish or salad.

Pictures courtesy Makinamess

Last edited by ohlia on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Food