Messy Surprise

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Postby josh012404 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:06 pm

All of these pictures are making me hungry..
josh012404

Postby ohlia » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:07 pm

Apple Pie

Pie Pastry

21/2 cups unbleached flour
1-teaspoon salt
1-tablespoon sugar
16 tablespoon unsalted butter (2 sticks) cold cut into ½ inch cubes and frozen for 10 minutes
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/3-cup ice water, or more if needed

Apple filling

½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1-teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 pounds tart apples (firm) about 5 medium peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch thick slices
2 ½ pounds sweet apples (firm) about 5 medium peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch thick slices

1. For Pastry: Process flour, salt, and sugar together in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds. Add butter and pulse until butter is size of large peas, about ten 1-second pulses.
2. Using fork, mix sour cream and 1/3-cup ice water in small bowl until combined. Add half of sour cream mixture to flour mixture; pulse for three 1-second pulses. Repeat with remaining sour cream mixture. Pinch dough with fingers; if dough is floury, dry, and does not hold together, add 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water and process until dough forms large clumps and no dry flour remains, three to five 1-second pulses.
3. Turn dough out onto work surface. Divide dough into 2 balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk; wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate until firm but not hard, 1 to 2 hours, before rolling. (Dough can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Let thoroughly chilled dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling.)
4. For Pie: Mix cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, zest, and cinnamon in large bowl; add apples and toss to combine. Transfer apples to Dutch oven (do not wash bowl) and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are tender when poked with fork but still hold their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. (Apples and juices should gently simmer during cooking.) Transfer apples and juices to rimmed baking sheet and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. While apples cool, adjust oven rack to lowest position, place empty rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Remove 1 disk of dough from refrigerator and roll out between 2 large sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap to 12-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. (If dough becomes soft and/or sticky, return to refrigerator until firm.) Remove parchment from one side of dough and flip onto 9-inch pie plate; peel off second layer of parchment. Working around circumference, ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with one hand while pressing into plate bottom with other hand. Leave dough that overhangs plate in place; refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, roll second disk of dough between 2 large sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap to 12-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate, leaving dough between parchment sheets, until firm, about 30 minutes.
7. Set large colander over now-empty bowl; transfer cooled apples to colander. Shake colander to drain off as much juice as possible (cooked apples should measure about 8 cups); discard juice. Transfer apples to dough-lined pie plate; sprinkle with lemon juice.
8. Remove parchment from one side of remaining dough and flip dough onto apples; peel off second piece of parchment. Pinch edges of top and bottom dough rounds firmly together. Trim and seal edges of dough, then cut four 2-inch slits in top of dough. Sprinkle evenly with remaining teaspoon sugar.
9. Set pie on preheated baking sheet; bake until crust is dark golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer pie to wire rack and cool at least 1 1/2 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.
10. Freezing Instructions
Assembled pies keep well for up to two weeks in the freezer; after that, the texture of the crust and apples suffers. To freeze an assembled pie, follow the recipe all the way through sealing the piecrust. Freeze the pie for two to three hours, then wrap it tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, followed by a layer of foil, and return it to the freezer. To bake, remove the pie from the freezer, sprinkle with sugar, cut slits in the top crust, and place directly on the baking sheet in the preheated oven. Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer than normal.

You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:44 pm

messy, do u have a recipe for macaroni cheese (with a crunchy burnt top if possible)

i hate mac cheese but like some brands - M&S, sanisburys - so if you have a recipe and it tastes like any of them please post it and i shall attmept to make it
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:41 pm

Macaroni Cheese

1 pint Béchamel Sauce (page 2 above)
180g grated strong (sharp) cheddar or a mixture of cheeses
150g dried macaroni pasta shapes
1 30g packet ready salted crisps (chips) or 15g fresh breadcrumbs or golden breadcrumbs used to coat rissoles etc

Make up the sauce as described in page 2 above and add 150g of the cheese, reserving 30g. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water until just cooked (al denté), drain and keep warm. Mix the remaining 30g cheese with scrunched up crisps or with the breadcrumbs. Mix the pasta and cheese sauce and pour into an oven-proof dish. Scatter the cheese and crisps/breadcrumbs over the top of the macaroni in sauce and pop under a hot grill to brown. If you want a really crunchy topping, put the dish into a pre-heated oven (200 deg C, Gas Mark 6) for about half an hour.

My secretary told me the secret about using crisps and cheese to get a crunchy topping and so far I've had success with ready salted crisps and those lovely black pepper flavoured ones. I'm going to try paprika or chilli flavoured ones next !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

ValleySailor's Taco Salad

Postby Valleysailor » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:11 pm

Layer in salad bowl in the following order:
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatos & onions with a little basil
meat mix - 1 lb lean ground beef, crumbled, drained and sprinkled with a taco seasoning packet - this makes 4 large salads
grated Cheddar cheese
sliced black olives
a dollop of sour cream next to a dollop of guacamole (this is your dressing)
throw some Frito corn chips on top and ~

Bon Appetite!!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:18 pm

This is a variation of the cauliflower cassarole that Messy posted originally. I added some mushrooms, a red pepper and some cheese crumbles. It was a big hit!

Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:55 am

Lentil Dal

2 cups red lentils
8 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
4 tbsp olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Cook the lentils in the water until they are falling apart (about 45 minutes), stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary - you want to end up with a thick goo ! In a separate pan, fry the garlic and ginger in the oil until lightly browned. Add the salt and turmeric and stir well. Pour the spiced oil into the cooked lentils and stir well. Check the seasoning - you may wish to add more salt. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes and sprinkle the coriander over just before serving.

The more observant of you will notice that I used fresh parsley - no coriander here today :(
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:52 am

Nut Roast

100 g (½ cup) uncooked rice (I like short grain brown rice but any sort will do)
100 g (½ cup) bulgar (cracked) wheat
200 g (1½ cups) mixed chopped nuts
½ tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 level tsp chilli powder (or 1 finely chopped fresh chilli)
1 heaped tsp dried parsley
1 heaped tsp dried oregano
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed (optional)
100 g (about 4 oz) mushrooms, finely chopped (I like a mixture of chestnut and flat caps)
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 400 g (14 oz) can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 large egg, beaten (optional)

Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C, Gas Mark 6.

Cook the rice until tender in unsalted water and drain. Place the bulgar wheat in a heat proof dish or saucepan and pour plenty of boiling water over it (covering it well). Leave the wheat to soak for at least 20 minutes, then drain the excess water off, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove as much water as possible. The wheat grains should have doubled in size.

In a very large bowl, mix together the rice, wheat, nuts, salt, a good shake of freshly ground black pepper, the herbs and spices. Stir in the chopped vegetables, the chick peas and the egg. Pile everything into a large oven-proof baking dish, lightly greased, pressing down well and bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown.

Remove the dish from the oven and leave to stand for about 5-10 minutes before cutting into slices.

If you wish to make this into a vegan dish, omit the egg. The dish will be just as tasty but will be a lot crumblier !

I serve this up with roast potatoes, root mash, Yorkshire puddings and veggie gravy.

Before adding the egg - you could actually serve this as a salad at this point if you wanted

The cooked nut roast, resting after its hard time in the oven !
Last edited by Makinamess on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Guinness Cream Cheese Brownies

Postby meadow » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Guinness Cream Cheese Brownies!

Brownies:
Ingredients:

8 oz. Semisweet or Bittersweet Chocolate, broken into pieces
4 oz. White Chocolate, broken into pieces
1 stick Unsalted Butter
4 Large Eggs
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1 bottle of Guinness stout (or other stout beer of your choice).

Cream Cheese Layer:
Ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bittersweet Ganache Topping
Ingredients:

3/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil or parchment, leaving overhang to lift brownies up once baked and cooled. Butter lightly.

In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolates and the butter over very low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Slowly add cooled chocolate mixture into egg mixture until just combined, then gradually add flour, salt, and cocoa into the chocolate mixture. Finally, add the Guinness and beat the mixture until combined. Pour this mixture into the prepared baking pan.

Next, in clean mixing bowl, begin cheesecake layer. Cream together butter, cream cheese, and cornstarch until fluffy. While beating slowly, gradually add condensed milk, vanilla extract, and egg. Mix thoroughly -- mixture should be slightly runny and easily poured.

Gently pour the cream cheese mixture over the brownies until brownies are completely covered.

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until top layer is lightly browned and a knife or cake tester inserted into the center of brownie comes out almost clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

When the brownies have cooled, prepare ganache: In a medium saucepan, combine the cream and sugar and heat over medium heat just until hot. In a medium bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Add the cream mixture over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour the ganache over the tops of the cooled brownies and refrigerate until the ganache has set completely. Cut into small squares and serve. They are very, very rich so the smaller, the better!!! The texture of the brownies and the cream cheese layer will be the same, not too heavy or thick but very rich.

i've only made this once and i wish i would have taken pictures! it was a big hit and very, very rich. the combination of the Guinness and the chocolate is very interesting and deep.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:03 pm

The Nut Roast looks good, but I'd have to get Mom to fix it, and she is not up with metric. Plus, the name makes me cringe.

ANd you know you're a Brit if you put Guinness in brownies.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:37 pm

i'm not a Brit, i'm an American through and through. i got the recipe from someone online and made it last year for a holiday party. i wanted something different, interesting and without an hydrogenated oils. and i wanted something homemade and delicious!!!

after i move to the Big City i plan on making it again, for sure!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:47 am

Bubble and Squeak

This is a great way of using up leftover mashed potatoes and cabbage (or brussel sprouts !)

1 lb (4 cups) cooked mashed potato
½ - 1 lb (2 - 4 cups) cooked savoy (green) cabbage or sprouts, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 oz butter or 2 tbsp olive oil

Lightly fry the onion in ¼ of the butter or oil until translucent. Mix the potato and cabbage (or sprouts) together well, add the onion and divide the mixture into 8 balls. Press them down to make a patty shape and then fry them in the remaining butter or oil. When they are golden brown on one side, gently turn them over and cook the other side (about 10 minutes each side).

You could also add some cooked leeks if liked, or substitute raw leeks for the onion.

This is one of the few dishes where I prefer the taste of butter to olive oil, somehow it seems to work better with the potato.

Here I have added in some cooked leeks, a little cooked carrot and half a chopped red chilli to half the above quantity - making 4 patties. You could also press the mixture into a buttered oven proof dish and bake in the oven (200 deg C for about half an hour)
Last edited by Makinamess on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:26 pm

MMMMM I love Bubble n Squeak
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:52 am

Cheddar Crisps (makes 24)
by Audrey Simpson

120g (1½ cups) finely grated farmhouse (sharp) Cheddar cheese
4 rounded tsp plain flour
flaked almonds, pistachio nuts or paprika

Pre-heat oven to 230 deg C/Gas Mark 8.

Place a sheet of greaseproof paper on each of two large baking sheets.

Combine the grated cheese with the flour, then spoon circles of the mixture onto the paper – each one about 50mm wide and just 2mm deep. You should be able to fit 12 onto each baking sheet. It is important to keep these really thin or they won't crisp up when they cool.

Bake for five minutes or until the crisps are golden at the edges. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then lift them off the paper carefully with a palette knife.

For variation add a pinch of flaked almonds, chopped pistachios or paprika to the surface before cooking.

In the photo above, I’ve added chopped chilli nuts to some of the crisps, paprika to others and left the remaining ones plain.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:54 pm

I wish Messy was my neighbor. :(
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:04 pm

StVandal - I am sure you can cook just as well as I can - all I am doing is writing down my favourite recipes and taking pictures. My next door neighbour just called on me and I had to give her a load of those cheese crisps otherwise I would have eaten them all instead of my dinner tonight ! Actually, thinking about it, my neighbours are always very happy to accept any *leftovers* I have :lol:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Messy those crackers would surely go good with sautéed mushrooms and onions.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:05 am

Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions

10 medium onions, peeled and sliced (more if you like plenty onions)
1 kg mushrooms, cleaned and coarsely sliced, stems and all
Oil (I use olive oil and butter)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent and just beginning to brown.

Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté until most of the moisture has been absorbed.
Served as a side dish, with crackers, and on toast.

Sometimes I use this sautéed mushrooms to make a tart.

You will need Filo pastry that has been thawed overnight in the refrigerator. Pastry can be found in the frozen section in super market.
Line a pie dish with pastry and add mushroom filling. Bake in a preheated, 375 degrees oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until edge of the piecrust is golden brown. Serve warm.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Bubble & Squeak for dinner tonight -- that sounds SOOOOO YUMMMMMMMMY!!!
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby ohlia » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Chickpeas & Tomato Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced (1/2-inch) onion
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 cups diced (1-inch) tomato
1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
1/2-cup water
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

You can also substitute red or white beans for the chickpeas.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat and add the onion and scallions.
Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes to soften the vegetables, and then add the remaining ingredients, except the parsley.
Return to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook gently for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid and boil for a few minutes longer to reduce the liquid.
Sprinkle parsley on top, and serve.

ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

PreviousNext

Return to Food