Messy Surprise

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Postby ohlia » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:33 am

Citrus Asparagus

1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
1 lemon
2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 T. garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 T. freshly chopped parsley

Slice each of the asparagus stalks diagonally into 1/2-inch thick pieces, but leave the tips 2-3 inches long, and set aside. Cut the lemon in half. Cut one half of the lemon into wedges, place them in a small dish, and reserve for service. From the other half, remove the zest, reserve the lemon half for use in the cooking process, and set it and the zest aside. In a non-stick skillet, saute the asparagus in the olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, the reserved lemon zest, season the mixture with a little salt and pepper, and saute an additional 2-3 minutes or until the asparagus is tender. Add the chopped parsley, squeeze some juice from the zested lemon half, and toss well to combine. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the reserved lemon wedges along with the asparagus.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:36 am

Sweet Potato Fries Baked

2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled
2-4 T. toasted sesame oil
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. chili powder
1 t. paprika
1 t. salt

Lightly oil (or spray with oil) two non-stick cookie sheets and set aside. Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into "french fries" or pieces 1/2-inch wide and 3-4-inches long. Transfer the cut sweet potato fries to the prepared cookie sheets, dividing them evenly between the two sheets, and spread them to a single layer. For each cookie sheet: drizzle the sweet potatoes with 1-2 T. toasted sesame oil, then sprinkle with 1 t. ground cumin, 1 t. chili powder, 1/2 t. paprika, and 1/2 t. salt (or to taste). Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven, stir the sweet potatoes, and spread to a single layer again. Switch the placement of the cookie sheets on the racks of the oven and bake the sweet potatoes an additional 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 am

Parsnip, Butternut, Potato Pancakes

4 cups butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and grated
4 cups red skin potatoes, well scrubbed, and grated
2 cups parsnips, peeled, and grated
1 cup shallot, grated
2 t. salt, divided
1/3 cup unbleached flour
2 T. freshly snipped chives
2 T. freshly chopped parsley
2 T. water
1 T. tahini
1 T. garlic, minced
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. white pepper
safflower oil for frying
Garnishes: tofu sour cream, applesauce, maple syrup

In a colander, toss together the grated butternut, red skin potatoes, parsnips, shallots, and 1 t. salt, and place the colander over a large bowl to drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze the grated vegetables with your fingers to help remove any excess moisture in the vegetables. Drain off the watery liquid from the vegetables but reserve the starch from the vegetables that has settled to the bottom of the bowl. Add the grated vegetables to the vegetable starch, along with the remaining ingredients, toss well to combine, and set aside for 5 minutes. Cover the bottom of a large non-stick skillet with safflower oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, using a 1/4 cups measuring cup, drop 4 portions into the skillet, and flatten them slightly with the back of a spatula to ensure even cooking. Cook the pancakes over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Carefully flip over the vegetable pancakes and cook an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown on the other side. Transfer the browned vegetable pancakes to a cookie sheet and place them in a 200 degree oven to keep them warm while cooking the remainder of the vegetable pancakes. Serve them with your choice of tofu sour cream, applesauce, or maple syrup.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:42 am

Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic

12-14 garlic cloves (to taste), unpeeled
4 lbs. potatoes (preferably yukon golds), peeled, and cut into cubes
2/3 cup soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice
salt and white pepper, to taste
2 T. freshly snipped chives
paprika, for garnish

Place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a pie pan and bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cloves are soft. Remove the pie pan from the oven and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a large pot, place the cubed potatoes, cover them with water, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes, saving the cooking liquid for use in the mashed potatoes, and the remaining cooking liquid can be used in soups or sauces. Transfer the drained potatoes to a mixer (or return to the large pot if using a hand mixer or potato masher) and set aside for 5 minutes to dry. Using your fingers, squeeze the cloves of garlic from their skins, and place them in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the cloves of garlic to form a paste. Add the mashed garlic, soy milk, sprinkle with a little salt and white pepper, and whip the potatoes until smooth. Add a little of the reserved potato cooking liquid, if needed, to achieve a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a large bowl, sprinkle with the snipped chives and a little paprika before serving.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:53 am

PIZZA

Base:-

½ tsp dried fast acting yeast
300 g (3 cups) strong white flour
½ tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
180 ml water (approx)

Topping:-

Small jar of pasta sauce
Mushrooms, thickly sliced
Onion, thickly sliced
Garlic, chopped
Pepper, chopped
Mozzarella cheese, thickly sliced

Place all the dry ingredients for the base in a large mixing bowl and blend with a fork. Mix in the olive oil and gradually add enough water so you have a soft dough. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead well until the dough is springy and elastic. Pop the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or cling film (saran wrap) and leave in a warm (not hot) place until it has doubled in size.

(Or do what I do and put all the base ingredients in my bread machine and set for pizza dough – about 45 minutes).

Take about one third of the dough and roll it out on a floured surface to a 25 cm circle. Spread a further tablespoon of olive oil around a 25 cm baking dish, place the dough on the tray and then turn the dough over, thus spreading the oil over both surfaces. Leave to rise – about half an hour (no need to cover) . Meanwhile heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220 deg C, 425 deg F.

Spread about 3 tablespoons of the pasta sauce over the dough base and add your favourite toppings – I like mushrooms, garlic, onion, red peppers and mozzarella cheese, plus some fine herbes. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.

In case you were wondering what to do with the rest of the pizza dough - well, either make another couple of pizzas or use the dough to make up some really nice crusty breadrolls - shape large walnut size lumps of dough into balls and place on a greased baking tray, leaving them to rise for about half an hour until doubled in size, then bake in the oven Gas Mark 6, 200 deg C for 15 or so minutes until golden brown.

Last edited by Makinamess on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby mahtilda » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:23 pm

:( my pizza didn't look like that one
mahtilda

Postby ohlia » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:27 am

Habaneros Hot Sauce (especially for Whiffey)

15 to 20 mixed habaneros cut in half or pieces; makes blending easier
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 bulb garlic, peeled (yes a whole bulb)
2 tablespoons mustard (optional)

First pulse ingredients in blender, then blend on low speed until reached desired consistency, or for about a minute. Transfer into clean glass jars and store in refrigerator. This can stay for a long time in refrigerator. I have some for two years and it's just like new.

Make sure the blender is properly closed before turning on.

This is my basic recipe, you can be creative and add carrots, green papaya, onion (cook for 2 minutes first), green mango etc. Another great ingredient that adds a unique flavour is culantro leaves, for this recipe add about 4 or 5 leaves. Remember to trim the edges off of these leaves because they are sharp and prickly.

Hereis some information on culantro. It can be found in Asian or West Indian shops.
Last edited by ohlia on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:31 am

Béchamel Sauce

570 ml (1 pint) milk (I use semi-skimmed)
1 bay leaf
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
5 whole black peppercorns
40g butter
40g plain flour (I prefer wholemeal but you can use plain white)

In a small saucepan, place the milk, bay leaf, carrot, onion, celery and peppercorns and bring it up to the boil very gently. Turn off the heat and allow the ingredients to infuse for at least 5 minutes. Strain the milk into a separate pan or jug and discard the vegetables.

Melt the butter gently in a saucepan and when it's turned to liquid, add the flour and stir continuously with a wooden spoon or balloon whisk - it should turn into a smooth paste. Keeping it on low heat, keep stirring for a few minutes. Add a small quantity of the infused milk and stir well, adding more milk as it thickens up. Whisk the thickening sauce with a whisk, gradually adding more milk, a little at a time. As the sauce heats up, it will start to thicken. (Do not stop whisking or stirring, or the sauce may turn lumpy - if it does, then pass it through a sieve and heat up gently again). Continue adding more milk and stirring with the whisk until all the milk has been added and it has thickened up. Let the sauce cook for a few minutes on a very low heat, stirring occasionally.

Stirring the flour into the melted butter to form a "roux" - I'm using white flour in this example

I've just added a little milk and will continue to add it slowly as the sauce thickens

Now we definitely have a sauce - notice the colour change
Last edited by Makinamess on Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:47 am

Cheese Sauce

1 pint of Béchamel Sauce
150g strong (sharp) cheddar cheese or a mixture of cheeses (Smoked Applewood, Red Leicester, Gruyere, White Stilton etc)

Whilst the Béchamel Sauce is still hot, add the grated cheese(s) and stir well with a balloon whisk until the cheeses have melted.

Parsley Sauce

1 pint of Béchamel Sauce
6 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley (flat leaved or curly)
1 tbsp single cream (if liked)
1 tsp lemon juice

Whilst the Béchamel Sauce is still hot (but not boiling), add the parsley, cream and lemon juice and stir well.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:03 am

Chocolate Chip Cookies

100 g dark chocolate
125 g unsalted butter
75 g granulated sugar
75 g soft brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
150 g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 190 deg C, 375 deg F, Gas Mark 5.

Chop the chocolate into little pieces
Cream the butter and sugars, then add the egg and vanilla extract
Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt
Mix in the chocolate pieces

Drop pudding-spoonfuls of the batter onto greased baking trays (allow lots of room, they really spread out) - makes about 18 cookies.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove trays from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the trays before carefully transferring them to a wire cooling rack to crisp up.

Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:45 pm

I wish Messy was my next door neighbor.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin and Walnut Brownies

2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups brown sugar
1 T. orange zest
1 T. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
2/3 cup butter
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 1/2 t. vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips or carob chips
safflower oil, for oiling pan
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add pumpkin puree, and vanilla to the flour mixture, and stir well to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips. Using a little safflower oil, lightly oil (or mist with oil) a 9x13-inch baking pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread it out evenly, and then sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for several minutes and then cut into small squares. Store in an airtight container.

*1 egg can be added together with the pumpkin puree.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Shredded Pumpkin Thai-Style

3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
1 T. sugar
1 T. tamari or soy sauce
2 t. toasted sesame oil
2 T. peanut oil
1 cup green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
1 1/2 T. ginger, minced
4 cups pumpkin, peeled, and coarsely shredded
3 T. freshly chopped cilantro
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a small bowl, place the vegetable broth, sugar, tamari, and toasted sesame oil. Whisk well to dissolve the Sugar, and set aside. In a wok or non-stick skillet, heat the peanut oil. When hot, add the green onions and ginger, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes to soften the green onions. Add the pumpkin and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the reserved broth mixture, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Stir in the chopped cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl or platter.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:56 pm

And now for something completely different (and thank you Whiffs !)

Whiffey's Spaghetti Bolognaise
Yes, an old favourite, but this one is supreme, though I say it myself.

2 large Spanish onions
1 kg leanest steak mince
1 bottle Italian or Spanish red wine, cheapo will do
1 jar tomato puree
2 tins chopped tomatoes
12 medium mushrooms
Basil
Oregano
Onion and Garlic salts
Black Pepper
Cayenne pepper
Paprika
Ground cinnamon
Ground cloves
Chopped garlic (from a jar - lazy! - I use English Provender Lazy Garlic)

I use a huge saucepan for this, it will make about 5 very large servings.

Finely chop the onions and brown in sunflower oil with 2 teaspoons (or more) of garlic and an arbitrary amount of red wine. Add the mince gradually and cook through. Continue to add red wine. Add the tomato puree and the chopped tomatoes. Rinse the jar and tins with red wine. Stir throughout, make sure all LUMPS of mince are broken up. Lumps in bolognaise are a big no-no.

Add liberal quantities of basil and oregano, loads of black pepper, onion and garlic salt to taste, more and more red wine. About a half teaspoon each of cinnamon and cloves (these are the key secret, but be prepared for vivid dreams). Paprika, cayenne pepper, a shake here and there. Fundamentally I add most of the stuff on my spice rack.

Leave this to bubble away, it will be quite liquid not least because of the whole bottle of red wine.

Finely chop the mushrooms, not big slices, but thin sliced then cross-chopped into pieces about 1/4 inch square. Stir in and after 10 minutes it's done. The flavour improves after freezing.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Lore » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:28 am

StVandal wrote:I wish Messy was my next door neighbor.

I wish I WAS messy - Im not a pizza fan but I could just dive straight into that one!!

Does anyone have a recipe for pot sticker dumplings? please, please, please xx
Lore
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 am

StVandal wrote:I wish Messy was my next door neighbor.

After seeing some of her recipes and the pictures, I'm thinking about becoming her next door neighbor!!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 am

Roasted Sprouts with Dijon Creme Sauce

1 lb Brussels sprouts
2 c. red onion, cut into wedges
8 oz. Kielbasi, 1/2 " thick sliced
2 T. olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
1 T. honey
1 t. apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 450
Toss sprouts, onions & Kielbasi OUT THE DOOR. NAH MAN TOSS em a bowl with oil, salt and pepper.
spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast 20 minutes until sprouts are tender (or they are singing songs) but still crisp.
Simmer cream, mustard, honey and vinegar in saucepan over low heat for 10 min until slightly thickened (this is a good thing )
To serve, spoon sauce over roasted sprout ola's yes...

This is the recipe I fixed for Thanksgiving last year and a young man named Gene, aged 15, was overheard saying: "Man, I don't even LIKE brussel sprouts, but this stuff is GOOD!!" Yes, I will be making it again this year!
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:11 am

Streuseled Sweet Potatoes & Dried Fruit

2 c. mixed dried fruit, coarsely chopped (apricots, apples, raisins, dates)
2/3 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. orange marmalade
1 t. vanilla extract
2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4 " thick slices
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
6 T. cold unsalted butter, cubed
pinch of salt
1 c. pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 375
Blend Fruit, syrup, marmalade, vanilla in a bowl
Simmer potatoes in water to cover for 15 min or just tender
Drain, add to fruit mixture and stir, crushing potatoes slightly.
Transfer to Jamaica .. no sorry .. wrong receipe .. transfer to a 1 1/2 qt baking dish
Pulse flour, both sugars, butter and salt in food processor until crumbly. Toss with pecans and sprinkle over potatoes
Bake for 20 minutes until browned and bubbly .. EAT and DO NOT Share with others

My silly sister added the commentary when I had to get her to email my recipes back to me after the holidays last year.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:12 am

Taco Beef Soup

1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups water
1 16-oz can kidney beans (I use light)
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 16-oz can stewed tomatoes, cut-up (Contadino)
1/2 envelope (2 Tbsp) taco sauce
1 small avocado, peeled, seeded & chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese
Corn Chips
Dairy Sour cream

In large saucepan, cook ground beef and onion
til meat is brown; drain off excess fat. Add
water, undrained tomatoes, undrained kidney
beans, tomato sauce and taco season. Simmer,
uncovered , 15 minutes. Add avocado before serving..
Pass cheese, corn chips and sour cream to top
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Bolognaise Sauce (Veggie version)

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped (optional)
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
¼ lb mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
Olive oil
1 450 g can plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
½ tsp chilli powder (more if your name begins with Whif.. or if you like a good kick)
1 tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 450g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Large handful of fresh basil, shredded
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 glasses of red wine (optional)

Fry the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms and peppers in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the chilli powder and mustard seeds and stir well for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes plus a canful of water, the salt and sugar and bring up to the boil. Let the mixture talk to itself, (ie simmering away) for about half an hour, adding more water if it gets too thick. Add the kidney beans, fresh herbs and wine and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Serve with pasta (spaghetti, tagiatelle, whatever you like) or tortillas (or both !). The sauce will taste even better the day afterwards, so make plenty :D

Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

PreviousNext

Return to Food