Messy Surprise - put your comments here

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Messy Surprise - put your comments here

Postby Makinamess » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:11 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments about my recipes and pictures - it's nice to know that they are appreciated and that you all want to come and live next door to me :biggrin:

I would really like to keep the recipe thread for just that - recipes and pictures - so how about putting comments on here instead ?

Also, surely more of you have *favourite* recipes that you know work for you - even if they are just a snack or a neat way of preparing a certain food item. There must be a wealth of knowledge out there, just waiting to be tapped into :)
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:20 am

Oh, just to let you know as well, I've been gradually adding pictures to the recipes, just to whet your appetites !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Deseeding Chillies

Postby Makinamess » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:51 pm

I meant to add this ages ago:-

To save having the scrape all the wee chilli seeds out of a chilli pepper and getting your hands covered in chilli oil, simply hold the chilli between the palms of your hands and rub backwards and forwards, pressing quite firmly until you can hear all the little seeds rattle about inside the chilli. Then simply slice off the top stem and shake the seeds out ! Thank you Chris Evans (BBC Radio 2) :)
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Messy, immediately after seeing your Butternut Squash Bread here last night, I went and make one. Since it was late I didn’t want to wait for the squash to roast so I put it in a steam basket and in five minutes I had cooked squash. The bread was so good; I ate almost half with Brie cheese. I see myself making this very often. The next time, for variety I will substitute sweet potatoes in place of squash. This is too good to be so easy to make, it’s a winner and a keeper. Thanks for sharing it.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks Ohlia - it's nice to get a bit of feedback as well ! I did think that sweet potato would make a good ingredient as well, but I didn't have any to hand or I would probably have used a bit of both. Another root vegetable that would work well would be ordinary potato - left over mashed potato for example. You've got me thinking of all sorts of varieties now !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:43 pm

I have actually used potato dough before to make pizza crust; it was really good. An interesting flavour would be celeriac; turnips might also work for this bread.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:42 am

Last night I made Ohlia's Red Pepper, Broccoli and Almond Couscous and absolutely gorgeous it was too. So nice in fact, that I took some pictures and Ohlia has kindly posted these along with her recipe. I highly recommend that you guys try this really simple to make dish. I just had to add a finely chopped red chilli (I think I'm getting a bit addicted to them :lol: ) Don't forget the lemon juice - it really lifts the whole dish. I didn't have any whole almonds, only almond flakes, so I dry roasted these until they were golden brown and then sprinkled them over the top of the finished dish.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:31 pm

I was so taken with Ohlia's couscous recipe that I made a different one (from scratch) tonight - finely chopped spring onions, sliced chestnut mushrooms, sliced celery, broccoli florets, chopped yellow peppers, garlic, half a finely chopped red chilli, lemon juice and parsley as well as roasted almond flakes and it was absolutely gorgeous. This recipe is definitely a keeper ! I ate a bowlfull but wanted more - the sign of a good recipe ! I'm going to try adding some red kidney beans for extra protein and see how that comes out....
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:29 pm

I'm really glad you like it Messy. Just about anything can be added to couscous to make a delicious meal. Chickpeas, spinach, corn kernels and black beans are just a few other ingredients I've experimented with and had great success.

I've also stuffed peppers with prepared couscous and sprinkle with a combination of mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top, and then bake them in a 350 degrees oven for 30/35 minutes.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:20 am

Oh wow! I have just checked my fridge and I do have some parmesan and mozzarella (I was going to make a pizza this weekend) but I think I need to go buy some peppers for stuffing...... Would the couscous I made last night be ok to stuff the peppers with, given it's got lemon juice in it ?
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:33 am

Makinamess wrote:Oh wow! I have just checked my fridge and I do have some parmesan and mozzarella (I was going to make a pizza this weekend) but I think I need to go buy some peppers for stuffing...... Would the couscous I made last night be ok to stuff the peppers with, given it's got lemon juice in it ?

Absolutely, it would be just as great. Green peas will also be a nice addition.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:15 pm

omg.. that quiche looks so good!

*dies*
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:59 am

Hehe - it was ! I'll post a picture of the empty dish in a minute :lol:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Those dishes you just posted here look so good, I instantly felt hungry when I saw them.
I love rice salads, and bulgur I make it often.
I'm not in the habit of using black mustard seeds, but I will make "Messy's Yummy Potatoes". Onions and potatoes always mmmmmmm.

Why do you torture us like that? :biggrin:
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:37 pm

messy

when sassie saw your posts in this forum... she was thrilled and that is
one of the reasons she joine... i htink the biggest reason...lol
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Return to Food