Derby Pie

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Derby Pie

Postby Bedford » Wed May 02, 2007 11:38 am

This being Derby Week, I thought I would bring up the recipe for the signature dessert of the week, Derby Pie

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 c. light corn syrup
* 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
* 1 c. chopped pecans
* 1/4 t. salt
* 1/2 t. vanilla
* 6 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
* 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell, unbaked

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all ingrediaents and pour into pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees for 35 minutes more. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Other typical foods are a Kentucky Hot Brown:

8 slices of bacon
4 slices of turkey breast
4 slices of toast
4 slices of tomato
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup millk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
directions

Cook the bacon until crisp.

To make the sauce, in a saucepan, melt butter and add flour to make a paste. Add milk and stir constantly over medium high heat until sauce thickens. Add cheese and stir until well blended.

Place toast in a baking pan placing a slice of turkey on each piece of toast. Pour cheese sauce over turkey and place a tomato slice in the center of each sandwich. Then put a piece of bacon on either side of the tomato. Place under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and begin to turn slightly brown.

Of course, the typical drink is the Mint Julep:

2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water (branch water is ideal)
Fresh Mint
Crushed Ice
Kentucky Bourbon (2 ounces per serving)

Make a simple mint syrup* by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes; cool. Place in a covered container with 6 or 8 bruised mint sprigs. Refrigerate overnight.
Make a julep by filling a julep cup* or glass with crushed ice, then adding 1 tablespoon of mint syrup and 2 ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost outside of cup or glass. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig..

*This makes enough syrup for about 44 juleps.

Extra Tips:
# Always use a premium Kentucky bourbon
# Use crushed or shaved ice and pack in cup.
# To bruise mint, place in a cup and gently pass the back of a spoon between cup and the leaves a time or two. You want the mint to release some of the fragrant oils.
# Add a straw cut to protrude just above the rim of the cup and serve. You should be able to get a faint whiff of the mint sprig when you're sipping.
# Keep the covered syrup in the refrigerator (after removing the mint leaves) if you don't plan on drinking all the servings.. Enjoy later....

I don't like alcohol, so I have only had it once or twice (I had free tickets for one). I wonder if Vandal has ever had to serve one?
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Valleysailor » Fri May 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Yummy, Bedford. I'm off to the store for necessary ingredients. I know what we're having this weekend!!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Return to Food