Indian Cousine

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Indian Cousine

Postby Yogi » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:26 am

Last night my wife and I went to an Indian restaurant for dinner. We have never tasted Indian food before, so it was quite an experience learning what to eat and how to do it. The wait staff was very helpful and we had a great time.

I ordered Chili Prawn while my wife chose Dosti Chicken. Hers was mildly spicy and mine turned out to be hot. Water or lemonade did not seem to cool the fire for me, and to my surprise when I sampled some of the Dosti Chicken it only enhanced the flames. When we finished eating they gave us a complimentary dish of mango icecream. To my utter surprise the first taste of it put out the spicy flames almost immediately. Is mango icecream a known antidote for spicy food, or was it just a fluke that it worked for us the way it did?
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Makinamess » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Yogi, it's a well known (hehe, here in the UK anyway) phenomenon - milk and dairy products do cool the effects of chilli ! The *hot* ingredient in a curry or chilli is capsaicin which is not water-soluble, which is why reaching for water or lager won't cool your mouth down. Capsaicin is, however, soluble in oil, butter and ghee. Therefore you can compensate for the problem to a certain extent by eating more rice or flatbread. Even plain dry bread or crackers readily absorb the oils or fats, carrying away the capsaicin. However, milk and dairy products contain casein, a protein that breaks down the capsaicin dissolved in the oil, so drinking milk or yoghurt (Raita or Lassi or even your mango icecream) should sort the problem out....
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:54 pm

it's awesome yogi, huh? i love the event of going for an indian meal, it is the most popular type of dining out in the UK (Raj and all that imperial history). The history of the Raj, in a nutshell, is that Messy and whiffey went to India in victorian times and shipped them all here.

I kind of wonder sometimes why I go for them, I pay some dude to put me in horrendous mouth pain, lol.

You're right though, anything without casseineites basically just washes away all the basic defences your mouth has against the chili. Milk/yoghurt the best way. There are dishes that are nice and spicey but not too painful.
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Bedford » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:49 pm

I've been meaning to go to a Buffet they have over in Louisville, but I'd hate to go by myself. Maybe sometime.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby ohlia » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:20 pm

You ordered Chili Prawns Yogi :wink: it suppose to be hot and spicy :tongue: . Was it too spicy for you to enjoy, and will you be trying Indian food again? Maybe the next time you order if you request your meal be prepared less spicy the chef or cook might be more than happy to oblige.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:20 am

ohlia wrote:You ordered Chili Prawns Yogi :wink: it suppose to be hot and spicy :tongue: . Was it too spicy for you to enjoy, and will you be trying Indian food again? Maybe the next time you order if you request your meal be prepared less spicy the chef or cook might be more than happy to oblige.

when i ask this they make it spicier just to wind me up. i went with some friends to an indian restaurant recently and was refused entry by management until i 'coughed up', I had to leave and purchase 3 chocolate items for one of the waiting staff, apparently months earlier after one too many cobra beers I had challenged him to a green chili eating contest right there in the restaurant, by all accounts he won 12-7.

I don't recommend eating 7 chilis in a row. Least of all scotch bonnets.
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Yogi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:45 am

Indian food is definitely on the agenda in the future. I expected some heat but not as much as I got. It was an enjoyable meal nonetheless. Unfortunately they did not mention the real reason for offering Lassi as a compliment to our meal. The next time I will know better. And I agree with MargeC to not ask for special preparation of my food. They are a friendly people, but I am not about to tempt the humor of the cook nonetheless :biggrin:
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Makinamess » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 am

MargeC wrote:..... I don't recommend eating 7 chilis in a row. Least of all scotch bonnets.

Not unless your name begins with the letters whi...... :biggrin:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Food