Is that one cup or two...

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Is that one cup or two...

Postby ashes13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:59 am

Today I am planning to make some cupcakes/muffins.
On closer inspection of the recipe I noticed some measurements I am confused about. Here are the two recipes:

Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes (depending on the size of your cupcake papers and muffin tins)

CUPCAKES:

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs, at room temperature

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

ICING:

Makes enough for one 2-layer 9-inch cake or 2 dozen cupcakes*

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar

1/2 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

My question:
How much is a 'cup'?
It is an American recipe and I am told there is an exact measurement but being Elglish I am not 100% sure what that is.
Could anyone shed some light for me please?
Is there also an exact measurment for 'sticks of butter'?

I figured it would be quicker to ask here than try hunt the info down online myself.
<i>I don't understand you. You don't understand me. What else do we have in common? </i>

~Ashleigh Brilliant~
ashes13
Frantic

Postby ohlia » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:08 am

http://www.brainformation.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3931

...1 cup...........8 oz.............16 tbsp...............48 tsp............250 ml

A stick of butter is 8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup = 125 ml
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ashes13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:17 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
That makes life so much easier :D
<i>I don't understand you. You don't understand me. What else do we have in common? </i>

~Ashleigh Brilliant~
ashes13
Frantic

Postby meadow » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:34 am

can i just say to you..... :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

i feel the same way when i watch Nigella! i'm like WTF is she on about?

hee hee!!!! at least here we've got both on our measuring cups, spoons and other utensils. ahahahahaa!!!

oh, this just cracks me up. :hysterical:
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Ashes - 1 cup of plain white flour will not weigh the same as 1 cup of sugar - weight is NOT the same as volume and those *equivalent measures* are just liquid measures! What I had to do in order to use American recipes was actually buy some *cups* - you can get a set of stainless steel ones from Tesco's for a few quid (in the kitchen department). When I am trying out a new recipe where the measures are given in volume, I usually make a note of the weight of the ingredients as well and vice versa.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ashes13 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:04 am

Makinamess wrote:Ashes - 1 cup of plain white flour will not weigh the same as 1 cup of sugar - weight is NOT the same as volume and those *equivalent measures* are just liquid measures! What I had to do in order to use American recipes was actually buy some *cups* - you can get a set of stainless steel ones from Tesco's for a few quid (in the kitchen department). When I am trying out a new recipe where the measures are given in volume, I usually make a note of the weight of the ingredients as well and vice versa.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually got home to realise that out measuring jug had cups marked so the recipe worked well with not major disasters. I now have tons of cupcakes at home to feed guests with :)

~Ashleigh Brilliant~
ashes13
Frantic

Postby meadow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:06 am

a "cup" of dry ingredients like sugar, flour or brown sugar is totally different than a "cup" of wet ingredient like water, milk, oil or vanilla extract.

in this country you have a wet measuring cup [usually Pyrex and it's a big, glass cup that pours easily] and then sets of plastic, nesting dry ingredient measuring cups. also, for small amount there are little plastic measuring spoons for a teaspoon, tablespoon, etc.

you use them separately. they have nothing to do with weight because you have a separate set of measuring for wet or dry. that's just more confusing to someone who doesn't use the same system. just buy a good set of cups/tablespoon measuring spoons.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to Food