mmmmmmmm bread maker

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

mmmmmmmm bread maker

Postby MargeC » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:24 am

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVkrbyrpyk

waaaaaaaaaaa. so easy. so fresh. so delicious.

I use 5050 Allinson seeded/Allinson malted granary. If someone comes over the loaf lasts about 1 hour. You wake up every morning to the smell of fresh bread. mmmmmmmmmmm

Next: home icecream maker.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:53 am

Nice one Marge !

OK, as promised, here's my cheese bread recipe for the breadmaker:-

2 tsp dried fast acting yeast
500g strong white flour
150g + 25g strong cheddar, grated
2 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard powder
300 ml water

I keep back 25g of the cheddar and sprinkle this over the loaf about half an hour before the end of the cycle - the basic white bread one. A nice twist is just to make up the dough in the machine, separate it out into three portions and roll each portion out into a long *sausage* shape. Then plait the portions, tucking the ends under to keep it tidy, place on a greased baking tray and cover with a damp teatowel until it has doubled in size. Turn on the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200 deg C. Sprinkle the 25g of cheddar over the plait and bake for about half an hour or until the loaf is golden brown and the underside sounds hollow.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:13 am

mmmmmmmm cheesy bread.
nice one maki

I love my breadmaker mmmmmmmmm
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 am

MargeC wrote:
I love my breadmaker mmmmmmmmm

I get that you love your breadmaker. Sounds amazing.

I have a question. Do you still buy normal bread at the supermarket, or do you only make bread now? Are breadmakers expensive to buy and is it not cheaper to buy bread than to make?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:45 pm

My Panasonic cost under £80 Sandra - prices have really dropped and you could probably buy it for cheaper. I've never costed out a loaf of bread so I can't compare with the supermarket prices but since the taste is so flipping fantastic, once you had one, you'd never want to eat Mother's Pride again !! I do occasionally buy a loaf of *quality* bread (like a farmhouse loaf from a private bakery) which sort of reminds me of my home made bread but since even the independent bakeries use the Chorleywood process (a rapid, steam driven method), I really do prefer my own crumbs.....
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:33 pm

thanks maki. yumi

this don't last long. so so delicious. mmmmmmmmmmm
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby ohlia » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Your bread looks yummy but where's the butter? :) Lilly Allen is eyeing the bread and in position to take a bite :biggrin:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:03 am

MargeC wrote:thanks maki. yumi

this don't last long. so so delicious. mmmmmmmmmmm

Did you just make that? Looks scrummy

Does the bread thingy do everything for you, you just toss in the ingredients close the lid ( how long do you bake it for) and voila it's made?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:14 am

As the YouTube video described, one just puts all the ingredients in the pan, turn the machine on and leave it for a few hours to produce a freshly cooked loaf of bread. My machine needs the dry ingredients first with the liquid last - it depends on the manufacturer. My white loaf takes 4 hours, wholewheat ones take 5 hours. Dough for pizza only takes 45 minutes and dough for cooking the bread in the oven 2 hrs 20 mins. The pan only needs a quick wash (not a soaking btw) - easy peasy.

I find that fresh bread straight out of the machine doesn't really need any butter - it's moist enough to eat *as is*.

There is one serious disadvantage to all this bread trickery stuff, as Marge has intimated..... the bread doesn't last very long in this household.... especially when I use the timer and wake up to freshly cooked bread for breakfast ...... hehe
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:32 am

Makinamess wrote:As the YouTube video described

sori mess I wasn't listening :oops:

Makinamess wrote:There is one serious disadvantage to all this bread trickery stuff, as Marge has intimated..... the bread doesn't last very long in this household.... especially when I use the timer and wake up to freshly cooked bread for breakfast ...... hehe

so that photo is actually Marge's creation, well done you sir

Let me get this straight, you can put the ingredients in the night before and set it to cook for you fresh in the morning, 'WoW', I'm impressed
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:51 am

Sandra wrote:
Makinamess wrote:As the YouTube video described

sori mess I wasn't listening :oops:

Makinamess wrote:There is one serious disadvantage to all this bread trickery stuff, as Marge has intimated..... the bread doesn't last very long in this household.... especially when I use the timer and wake up to freshly cooked bread for breakfast ...... hehe

so that photo is actually Marge's creation, well done you sir

Let me get this straight, you can put the ingredients in the night before and set it to cook for you fresh in the morning, 'WoW', I'm impressed

Yes, but you need to get up at 5 am for the yeast belanching process, that's all. Apart from that, it's cool.

I made one large 1 1/2 loaf on timer, and half of it has gone. Mostly thanks to my ahem visitor than me. A bastardization of spelt, wholemeal, granary, white, and muesli. A little moist, but delicious. Crust is almost like panatone. Butter melts on it cos it's hot bread. It's amazing.
You could probably get one on ebay delivered for about 35 quid, and that's a good one. 60 delivered for a top of the range like messys.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:57 am

MargeC wrote:You could probably get one on ebay delivered for about 35 quid, and that's a good one. 60 delivered for a top of the range like messys.

5am is no bother, I'm usually awake then anyway :roll: you just make it sound so delicious.

I can't do e-bay, it just doesn't like me. Where else is there relevently cheap to get one.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:00 am

Sandra wrote:
MargeC wrote:You could probably get one on ebay delivered for about 35 quid, and that's a good one. 60 delivered for a top of the range like messys.

5am is no bother, I'm usually awake then anyway :roll: you just make it sound so delicious.

I can't do e-bay, it just doesn't like me. Where else is there relevently cheap to get one.

argos aspose
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby MargeC » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:01 am

the 5 am bit is a lie, i'm in one of my mischievous moods. going trolling for a day
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:04 am

right argos it is then, thanks

MargeC wrote:the 5 am bit is a lie, i'm in one of my mischievous moods. going trolling for a day

enjoying your trolling, I know you'll have a ball :lol:

(maybe messy will send me some bread to try if I ask her nicely)
Last edited by Sandra on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:08 am

Yes, you can put the ingredients in the night before, press the Timer Button to set the delay required and press the Start button. The recipes given in the booklet have been adapted so they are suitable for using with a timer delay (like using milk powder instead of fresh milk etc), or they will state that using the timer is not suitable for that particular recipe.

PS You get what you pay for - there are some cheap machines around but often they only make one size of loaf and have no timer delay. Mine cost a bit more but since it can make three different sizes, delay from 4 to 13 hours, add ingredients half way if necessary (like nuts or fruit), can do dough or bake separately and make cakes, it was definitely worth the extra.

Here's a list of the recipes included:-

Loaves - basic white, milk, wheat germ, bran, herby, rye & caraway, orange, 5 seeds, tomato foccacia, pizza, spicy fruit, raisin & hazlenut, apricot & walnut, basic brown, ploughmans, malted, anchovy & sundried tomato, curry & mango (!), cheese & bacon, wholemeal, granary, onion, rosemary & garlic, malted brown, cheese & oat, honey & sunflower, pesto & pinenut, olive, maple & pecan nut, cumin seed, banana & muesli, salami & peppercorn, french basic, rustic french, ciabatta, onion & garlic, olive & passata, mushroom & pancetta, oregano & olive, three cheeses, sundried tomato & parmesan, sandwich, gluten free (a whole range of recipes there too).

Dough - white & brown rolls, chelsea buns, doughnuts, stollen, bath buns, danish pastries, hot cross buns, french sticks, sally lunn, cheese brioche, muffins, lardy bread, pizza, pittas, naan, pesto pin wheels, picnic plait, panettone, croissants, focaccia.

Cakes & Teabreads - Fruity cake, parkin, buttermilk loaf, marmalade cake, gingerbread, chocolate & vanilla cake, banana tea loaf, boozy cake.

Messy giggles as she watches Sandra rushing down to Argos posthaste.....

PPS Don't forget to buy some strong bread flour and fast acting yeast while you are out ! I'm sure you've got the rest of any necessary ingredients (:lol:) in your cupboard .....
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:13 am

mine has stripes so there :p

everyone should have a breadmaker. I think it pays for itself in about 1 month. But the quality of bread is so outstanding that you would never want to buy that store garbage again. It's a chore to eat. Breadmaker stuff, you can't stop eating. You control what you add, also, no additives, preservatives.
making the stuff is a piece of p*s*, put it in, press a button.
Dont forget to get up at 5 am though, to check the befurmargication process, this is critical. Without this, no bread. Or poisonous, radioactive bread. Which is not good.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:17 am

MargeC wrote:

Dont forget to get up at 5 am though, to check the befurmargication process, this is critical. Without this, no bread. Or poisonous, radioactive bread. Which is not good.

lolol, I'm not falling for that again :shame:

I bought a smoothie maker last week, I've been having so much fun with that :biggrin:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:19 am

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 223979.htm

BAR

GIN

I like the drop down paddle idea.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:24 am

That looks a great deal - half price and I also love the drop down paddle feature! I want one of them now :biggrin:

(PS Sandra - take no notice of the 5 am yeastie boy radiation notices above - they only apply west of Cork)
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Food