What do you find different

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

What do you find different

Postby haysi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:03 pm

when you have 'fast food' in different countries. What I mean is do McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken taste the same in Gt Britain as they do in their place of origin i.e. America? If not are they better or worse?

What other indigenous foods have you tasted abroad and what do you think of them? Fish and Chips is typically British, do you eat Fish and Chips when on holiday?

Hx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:13 pm

I noticed a real difference in Mountain Dew when I was in Nassau.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdkilmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Canadian food tastes the same.

The Mountain Dew difference is probably sugar. In the US, almost all soft drinks have slowly changed to "high fructuse corn syrup" as a sweetener 'cause it saves a tiny amount on each container. Outside the US, most bottlers still use sugar.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 pm

That's because, thanks to Louisiana, we have to pay more for sugar than the rest of the world. It's to "protect" sugar beet farmers, such as this push for ethanol is help gain favor in Iowa, but both screw the rest of America.

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:56 am

yeah, that's why they use HFCS. it's not as a way for the corn farmers to make their billions in subsidies from our government every year? as a way for Big Food to make even more billions off the bodies of the American people?

in Japan McD's is just as crappy as here. it's disgusting! but Coke and soft drinks taste better because like Marv said, they use actual "white sugar" instead of the more deadly cheap HFCS [High Fructose Corn Syrup. read up on it. you'll be HORRIFIED!] in their soft drinks. but because us Americans let our government be bent over by Big Food in regards to our health...well that's what you get!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby haysi » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:52 am

I have had McDonalds and KFC in Spain, Paris, Amsterdam and 'Pizza Hut' in Brussells. I think that the basic food is the same but the dressings or condiments that they give you are different. I would NEVER think of giving mayonnaise with fries but that is something that is quite common in the European countries I have visited.
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:51 am

My mother likes horseradish sauce with fries, and I've used Ranch dressing for fries before.

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:42 pm

The fast food we get here in the UK tastes totally different to the fast food you get in the U.S. There's a lot more transfat content in McDonald's burgers for instance, except in New York where i've read they've banned transfat. Not sure if they've banned it in fast food joints or just restaurants. Transfat gives the burger a totally artificial taste, i'm not saying it's unpleasant but it certainly doesn't taste of real beef. If burgers ever do that is.

KFC tastes so different if you didn't know it was KFC you wouldn't know what the hell it was. The fat content is high in the UK, so it's astronomical in the U.S.

I wouldn't say either were better or worse, they are both junk food. It's like chocolate in America, it's not better it just tastes different, again because the ingredient measures are different. American chocolate contains a lot more cocoa that it's UK equivalent, where as UK chocolate contains a lot more milk.

In Holland they put mayonnaise of fish & chips!!! That's just plain wrong.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:30 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15474488/

I think there has been a lot more attention to the trans fat issue un the US in the last year..
more and more places re reducing or banning it altogether....

This is also happening with off the shelf food as well.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:45 am

That's good to hear, solana. Transfat is incredibly bad for you, it clogs arteries and causes heart disease. The more restaurants that ban this stuff the better the nations health will be.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 pm

the problem with the whole trans-fat issue is that our government is completely colluding with the Big Food lobbyists. certain gains have been made but there is a large, evil backlash starting to occur. you can still have partially hydrogeanated oils in a products and label it "Zero Grams Trans Fat!" with little letters saying "per serving". which means as long as it's less than 1 gram per serving you can put that on your packaging. of course, most people don't actually EAT what a real serving is...so they have found the loophole that helps trick the American public into believing they have their interests at heart.

they don't. Big Food doesn't care about anything but addicting you to their products and making billions and billions off of you, your children and your children's children!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to Food