Lily Pad Harvest

Post your self-portraits, family pictures, pet photographs, or any of your creative shots that would be of general interest.

Lily Pad Harvest

Postby brandtrn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:17 pm

After working throughout the weekend, I've not had the ambition to do much of anything today, except to rescue a few of the blossoms from the flower bed which I like to call my "lily pad" from the relentless heat and dryness outdoors. Go figure...while the folks in England are being flooded, we've had so little rain that our grass is brown and my poor little blossoms are drooping their heads, despite frequent watering! In any case, I still have some "survivors" who look rather pretty in spite of the heat. My stargazer lilies are still beautiful beyond belief, and I harvested the best of them today, so I can enjoy them for a few more days in the comfort of my nice, cool, air-conditioned house. They're sitting on my kitchen table at the moment, filling the room with their lovely scent, and can be seen in the pic below:

"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:39 pm

mine ended up bug snacks... i'm so peeved for the aphids etc are nasty this year!

gorgeous flowers, just beautiful!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:58 pm

hee hee Lily Pad is a GREAT name! pretty flowers!

i have a black thumb and kill everything i try to grow. i get it from my mother...she killed a rubber tree! and a cactus! *LOL*
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby brandtrn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:16 pm

Well, then, your mother and I have something in common...I, too, recently killed my rubber tree plant. How it happened, I still have no clue. I raised that plant from a seedling that my Dad gave to me almost eight years ago, and this year, in spite of all the care it received, the poor thing died...Yury hauled the poor thing's carcass out of the pot this morning, as a matter of fact. :(
"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby meadow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 pm

yeah, she was excellent at plant murder. *LOL* she would buy us those little potted plants at the store and they would die in a matter of weeks. so yeah...she just didn't have the talent for plants.

i'm not a big plant person. i don't enjoy gardening, being outdoors digging in the dirt or any of that crap.

now, my Aunt Elena can literally make ANYTHING grow! and her flower garden is just HUGE with so many flowers it's crazy! she even grew a Sativa plant. she didn't know it was a "pot plant" because someone gave her a seedling so she just planted it and watered it for a few weeks. my cousin told her what it was. *LOL* nothing is funnier than the idea of my Spanish Aunt Elena growing the Sativa in her garden!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby brandtrn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Well, I do love my gardening, but the whole thing is still pretty much "hit or miss" with me. I do exceedingly well with my bulb plants: i.e., lilies, irises, peonies, daffodils, etc., and middling-well with my rosebushes. As far as annuals go, I just don't seem to have the knack for them, although I still try each and every year...and my petunias and impatiens are dying as I speak :(
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:39 pm

miracle grow, works like nobody's business. i have no idea what's in it and i don't even want to know, but my annuals are having a great time.

not so much the bulbs...
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby ohlia » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:41 pm

What a beautiful reward from your garden, Cindy!.

I have lots of house plants, no flowers though. And I have great success raring them.

pilvikki wrote:miracle grow, works like nobody's business. i have no idea what's in it
It contains miracles Vikki! :biggrin:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Photo Gallery