Cerescape - 1 year anniversary of the 'AB/CB Invasion'

Use this bulletin board to post public messages to individual members. This is not a Chat Room nor is it intended to replace Private Messaging.
Legion
Frantic

Cerescape - 1 year anniversary of the 'AB/CB Invasion'

Post by Legion »

Well - I had hoped to post this on C.S. but when I attempted to get into the site earlier it was tres gobbledegooky & then the site appeared to 'crash out' completely.

At about 1300hrs on the 16th December 2005 I joined Cerescape on the reco of someone at Answerbank! Quite a few AB/CBers were already joined & I arrived in the middle of a ding dong of a row that had erupted with the sleepy established members of C.S. Our motley crew had discovered that swearing was allowed on site & were engaged in swapping profanities with outraged C.S.ers.

If you were involved in the 'Invasion' on - or around - that day - then looking back what are your thoughts?

I believe that we acted like drunks gatecrashing a private party but was that because we were provoked by the reception that we received? I have mixed feelings about our behaviour but must confess that the battle that ensued was one of the livliest & most enjoyable times online. I think that the battle raged until Christmas Day when I think that a few on both sides had a football match & sang 'Silent Night' around the trenches - before we 'banged off' again. :biggrin:

Can you remember when you joined & what happened?

:catfight: :good-bad: :catfight:

:pirate2: :dancer:
'There is no point running if you are on the wrong road'
Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Post by bea »

i joined and then got confused and didn't like the layout so i left and didn't return again until febuary. by this time i had totally missed the fighting proper but fully caught up with the gist and was amused. then i found marge was on the site and that made me wet with joy :biggrin: as i thought he had gone completely and he had always amused me on ab. then i found other people who i thought i'd never heard from again and made brand spanking new fabulous friends such as sandra and whiffey and my LF. all the while though i had a sneaking suspicion that i/we would never properly fit in with the old guard. balls to them. i like it here better

yld xx

ps, having read through all the evidence i would summise that cb didn't invade at all. its a public website and if they hadn't been so arsey about their 'rules' (and it was so one for us and one for them) and actually attempted to distinguish the individuals from the rabble that arrived then it would have been ok.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
Legion
Frantic

Post by Legion »

bea wrote:i joined and then got confused and didn't like the layout so i left and didn't return again until febuary. by this time i had totally missed the fighting proper but fully caught up with the gist and was amused. then i found marge was on the site and that made me wet with joy :biggrin: as i thought he had gone completely and he had always amused me on ab. then i found other people who i thought i'd never heard from again and made brand spanking new fabulous friends such as sandra and whiffey and my LF. all the while though i had a sneaking suspicion that i/we would never properly fit in with the old guard. balls to them. i like it here better

yld xx

ps, having read through all the evidence i would summise that cb didn't invade at all. its a public website and if they hadn't been so arsey about their 'rules' (and it was so one for us and one for them) and actually attempted to distinguish the individuals from the rabble that arrived then it would have been ok.
I didn't know many on AB/CB as I was there only as an 'observer' - I didn't meet you all until the 'Invasion' - So I have CS to thank for a LD! I also have met some valued friends from both sides of the trenches.

Who is this 'Joy' - I don't know her - Is she nearer my age - Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :tongue: xx

I'm updating this as I still can't get on to our beloved Cerescape - You don't think that they have closed down temporarily to spoil our celebrations - Hmmmmmmmm!?!

Nah - Even Bob the Slob wouldn't do that ! :lmao1: - Would he? :lmao2:
Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
snapdharlich

Post by snapdharlich »

I try not to remember much about that fateful day! :lol:

I think I didn't help by decking pmace...I like to think I've matured a little since then! :moon: :hugegrin:
Legion
Frantic

Post by Legion »

snapdharlich wrote:I try not to remember much about that fateful day! :lol:

I think I didn't help by decking pmace...I like to think I've matured a little since then! :moon: :hugegrin:
I was 'observing' cyber folk on AB/CB & the invasion was a 'God Send'! I tried to keep quiet & just take notes but like a 'War Correspondent' forced to pick up a rifle - I soon got into the swing of things :biggrin:

I can remember asking 'pmace' if his name was short for 'Pee in my face'! - Clang! :lmao1:

Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
whiffey
Bad Seed

Post by whiffey »

Ah, the revered Friday Question. My goodness I wound a few people up complaining about it......

It appears to have died a death, doesn't it ?
I am reading that it rains a lot in Scotland
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Post by Yogi »

CereScape has gone down several times over the past year. Interestingly enough it has happend most frequently on Thursday. I'm not at all sure why they went down this time, but I fully expect them to be back in business early next week - at least that has been the past pattern.

If anyone cares to message gossy about it, his e-mail addy is: gossy@cerescape.com
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
snapdharlich

Post by snapdharlich »

Nah, you're ok, Yogi! I'm sure it'll keep! :wink:
legend
Holier Than Thou

Post by legend »

ah legion .
the nomad of the internet.
as far as im aware.
correct me if im wrong.
but im not btw.
youre still to be found hopping between here and froggers and cerescape.
using each individual site for what you want,then complaining bout each on other sites.
anyway.
i remember when i joined.
i was mistaken for an alias.
then someone logged in with same name as mine,but starting with a capital L.
that was the end for me.
permabanned and unable to enter cerescape since the end of june.
yes i havent beemn able to return to the site since then.
though someone using my L PSEUDONYM has been there regularly.
cerescape was bad to the extent that it was badly moderated.
gossy couldnt seperate his role as administrator from his friendship with some users.
of the 3 afore mentioned sites bfm is in my opinion the better ,if only because of the moderation of the site.
not that i havent been in trouble with yogi.
on the contrary .
but overall this is the fairer site.
thats why i think most folk ,from each side of the pond ,decide to settle here.
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Post by haysi »

I wasnt one of the ABers who joined on 16/12

I joined and really had a great time on that site - it was a hoot and a half :biggrin: I have been permabanned but no biggy.

I didnt know about someone using 'legend'-crikey!!
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Post by Yogi »

I received this e-mail tonight:
Just managed to reach John:

"Our server's hard drive has died.
They're hooking up the old drive tonight and hopefully I can recover
our database."

Hang in there, we will be back!

Your admins
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Post by legend »

good work yoda.
as ever. :biggrin:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Post by Sandra »

I joined in January after sitting in the wings watching you all squabble with one another and it was great entertainment, then I joined when it quietened down a bit and met your good self who I found very mad :lol: and whiffey, elvis68 and margeb all very interesting people then from there got to be friends with loads of people and then they got banned but in the end I think they were more or less the same person :wink: :lol:
Legion
Frantic

Post by Legion »

sandrajo wrote:I joined in January after sitting in the wings watching you all squabble with one another and it was great entertainment, then I joined when it quietened down a bit and met your good self who I found very mad :lol: and whiffey, elvis68 and margeb all very interesting people then from there got to be friends with loads of people and then they got banned but in the end I think they were more or less the same person :wink: :lol:
I can remember you two joining & - yes it had calmed down a tad by then! Have you still got that sh*t dog called Sue? I never did learn how to spell it's breed name! There were scores of us but off the top of my head - & it is 0230 - I can only think of you - Gill - Pix - Cat - SlowJo - Tel - Bea - ???????? - No my brains not working - I think that's all that still post. When Whiffy, Marge & Josh (Brit) were banned - we lost 200 members! Oh there was one other - a strange Scouse girl - fell madly in love with me! Hmmmmmm - no they come & go - I just can't remember her name. - Flora - Or something like that! :tongue: :teach: :tongue:
Anyone that I have forgotten - please forgive me - I am taking a short break in my office in the middle of the Christmas rush.
Anyone else gonna book in. I know we have some 'oldie' members of CS on this site. Come on - what do you remember about the invasion? I know we were badly behaved - So don't be shy!

Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Post by meadow »

wow, this is a wind-up if i ever saw one.

it was the beginning of the end of a great and wonderful site. i changed my opinion of a few people and become friends with a few. i also realized that some people are hateful, evil and horrible but pretend not to be and are dangerous. i learned that having the site go totally public was the biggest mistake Gossy could have made after the "invasion".

but i don't regret one thing i did or said. most of it was well deserved to those it was directed at. and i got mightily harassed for MONTHS because of it.

that's okay though. i am a firm believer in Karma. what goes around, comes around.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
legend
Holier Than Thou

Post by legend »

well if its coming round you better get ready babe.
cos i think it might be heading your way.
this topic is very educational.
cos if someone came on cs a year ago and was agressive,told existing members how to poist,how to spell ,and what posts they could and couldnt answer.
the cs faithful would have had a public lynching.
which i believe they did in some cases.
im just glad that on bfm we arent as petty or self opinionated.
that is in the main due to the moderation.
which is firm,but fair.
the keystone to a forum ,or a club ,or a community or even a society is the even handed application of rules/laws.
without malice or favouritism.
that is what seperates bfm from the rest.
cs died as i predicted.
it stagnated,.
a forum needs new voices,not always ones that agree.
but as long as the rules are followed it will flourish.
cs didnt allow any new blood ,and thus died a miserable death as was predicted.
even if it returns it will be like elvis in vegas.
fat ,sad past its best and a poor imitation of what it was and what it could have been.
rest in peace cerescape :neutral:
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Post by meadow »

you have no clue what you are actually speaking of there, dude.

CS isn't dead, nitwit. it's not stagnant at all and there are new members and have been.

if someone on CB could have actually spelled their posts properly and used semi-correct punctuation and grammar i would have WELCOMED any criticism. but since they, in fact, didn't and couldn't...i did it for them.

you don't have to like it.

oh, and yes my Karma has come back around. and i'm moving to New York City in a few short weeks for a 6 month paid vacation to help a friend and his daughter. then i'm going back to Japan for several months to visit my best friend. then i'm getting a brand new car. then in 2008 i'm most likely going to get to finally visit the beautiful country of Tanzania.

yeah, my Karma is really coming back!!! :lol:

the "invasion" was a valuable lesson in how people decide to behave in a new forum without taking the time to READ or PAY ATTENTION and what happens to those people. and for the record: i was admonished after the new rules set in. so it's not rules for some and rules for others. i was "punished" just like some other "newer" members. unlike them though, i sucked it up and took my punishment and didn't moan, bitch, whine and act like a big, fat baby over it.

so yeah, educate me some more there, Mr. I Can't Spell, Punctuate or Use Proper Grammar In The Easiest of Manners. i can't wait!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
Legion
Frantic

Post by Legion »

meadow wrote:wow, this is a wind-up if i ever saw one.

it was the beginning of the end of a great and wonderful site. i changed my opinion of a few people and become friends with a few. i also realized that some people are hateful, evil and horrible but pretend not to be and are dangerous. i learned that having the site go totally public was the biggest mistake Gossy could have made after the "invasion".

but i don't regret one thing i did or said. most of it was well deserved to those it was directed at. and i got mightily harassed for MONTHS because of it.

that's okay though. i am a firm believer in Karma. what goes around, comes around.
No meadow - It was not meant to be a wind up!

I wanted to ask people who were actually present - on or around - the actual time - of the 'Invasion - what their thoughts were - one year on. You have replied with yr thoughts & that is fine! I did not ask for 'polite' comments - I genuinely wanted to know exactly what oldies like yrself thought & what they think now! As far as I'm concerned your answer was spot on. There is not one reasonable member involved in the 'Invasion' who will not admit that we were badly behaved!

What I did not expect - or welcome - was for someone - not involved at the time - to use this thread to sneer at you & Cerescape. For that - I apologise! I had intended posting this up at Cerescape but the site is temporarily down & so I put one up here & one up at Froggersworld. It was by no means a 'safe' move - only to get a certain reaction!

I am still a member at Cerescape & believe that - far from competing - the two sites compliment each other. Anyone else ACTUALLY INVOLVED at the time of the 'Invasion' please post yr honest thoughts - that's what the thread is for. Those who just want to slag Cerescape off - go & start yr own vitriolic little 'Fuse' & leave the adults to discuss.

I hope that you - meadow - have not been put off 'Brainformation' by the childish & gloating comments of one who thinks that he co-owns the site. Many have!

Please stay - or at least pop in & out frequently.

Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Post by meadow »

i didn't mean you, directly, but i knew that certain members would do that.

oh honey, it takes more than bad spelling and grammar to "scare" me. i don't roll like that, yo. i might stay because i know that certain members true colors would appear eventually...like they always do.
Legion
Frantic

Post by Legion »

meadow wrote:i didn't mean you, directly, but i knew that certain members would do that.

oh honey, it takes more than bad spelling and grammar to "scare" me. i don't roll like that, yo. i might stay because i know that certain members true colors would appear eventually...like they always do.
Good on you girl - You have more friends on here than I have & I won't be forced off site! I get jumped upon for merely mentioning Cerescape!

Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi