Asphalt burn

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

Asphalt burn

Postby Stacko » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:25 pm

So I walked on hot asphalt with no shoes, and while I was doing it it was not that bad. Then once I got off the asphalt and walked around a water park for an hour my feet were absolutely killing me. I can already see the blisters coming in. Any suggestions aside from aloe? I'm suppose to work 10+ horus tomorrow all on my feet.
Stacko

Postby StVandal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:20 pm

I remember when I used to have to work with that stuff. The stuff we used was nothing you wanted to touch. You really shouldn't walk on it barefoot, even if it's cold, but especially when it's hot.. You probably want to call a hospital or a clinic and get some advice on what to do for a chemical asphalt reaction that you might be having, especially if it gets worse.
I think they use silver sulfadiazine to treat asphalt burns.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Stacko » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:28 pm

Is it really some sort of serious chemical reaction? I just assumed it was hot asphalt + feet = cooking of the feet.
Stacko

Postby angel » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:46 am

i sometimes work for a company that moves it from one ship (oceanliner) into another (coaster), in its raw form (small marbles). we are only allowed to enter the hull in airtight suits, we can only do it at night with a certain air humidity and with at least 3 people so we can all check on each other continuously.

after we are done cleaning the hull (basically scooping out the last bits the cranes cannot reach that easily and sweeping the floor) we have to take a shower immediately, and litterally scrub our skin with a hard brush. if we do not do that our skin will burn off, blisters all over, accompanied by extreme pains.

go to the hospital as soon as possible. this will not stop by itself.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby Stacko » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:26 am

But asphalt cannot seriously be that dangerous once it has been put down on roads and such. Little kids play on asphalt with bare skin all the time.
Stacko

Postby angel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:22 am

welcome to reality...

it is. it's dangerous stuff.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby Makinamess » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:30 am

Asphalt is normally quite stable at ambient temperatures - it's when it become really hot that problems arise - fumes and burns etc. Here's a hazard data sheet that explains further

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wc/informati ... sphalt.pdf

Lots of materials are ok at room temperature but dangerous at high temperatures - cooking oil, coal, metals, even water !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:58 pm

ok, that was a cheerful read....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Health