Influenza

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

Influenza

Postby StVandal » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 am

I'm just getting over the flu. Man, this sucks. I almost never get sick, and I thought this one was going to pass be by, like it usually does. People have been getting sick for the last two months, but no such luck. I got sick on tuesday, had a crazy fever tuesday night, but started feeling better on wednesday. Now the only leftovers I have are a couple slightly stiff joints. But that's probably from laying in bed for the last couple days watching TV on my computer.
Did you get this thing? If so, how long were you out? What made you feel better?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Aww you should have called for 'nurse Haysi' :wink:

I had the flu a few weeks ago and was laid up in bed for about 5 days! I have been feeling bad this week too, but its just a mild cold. Germs seem to be going around and around and people are taking ages to get over a bout of the flu or colds.

Drink plenty of fluids, take a painkiller and take care of yourself

Hxx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:58 pm

Hehe - I am sure that the Nurse Haysi remedy would have perked you up Vandalman! :lmao2:

Lots of sleep and really good quality foods are important - I always find cooked red lentils and lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables really help. If you've got the ingredients, try my lentil dahl and put loads of garlic in it, easy to make and seriously tasty food. If you don't have too much energy, try to make a big pot of vegetable stew and add some split red lentils, yellow peas or chickpeas. It'll be easy to digest, taste better as time goes on and be good for you !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:15 am

Aw poor you, the flu is horrid, all those aches and pains, take plenty hot lemon drinks and some painkillers and have plenty of sleep, you'll feel back to your normal cheerie self in a few days :love:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:20 pm

ugh!

i rarely get the flu or colds but when i do, they're good ones... this one had me sleeping for 3 days, which was great in a way as that seems to be the best way to spend time while sick. took me a good 2 weeks to feel my abnormal self though.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Valleysailor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:21 pm

I have not yet had the experience and would prefer to keep it that way. Actually, I have not been sick in several years and I honestly believe not smoking has helped in that regard. When I was still smoking, I would get sick every season.
Glad you are on the recovery road ... hopefully the aches will go away soon, too.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby StVandal » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:23 pm

Yeah, smoking definitely breaks down your immune system, among other things. But seeing as alcohol kills germs, I've been trying to take as much of that as possible. It doesn't seem to be working very well, though..
Last week I had the flu, this week I caught a cold. It's pretty minor though, nothing more than an annoyance.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:26 pm

StVandal wrote:......But seeing as alcohol kills germs.....

Errr, and too much of the (alcoholly) stuff apparently also knocks out your immune system..... so you just can't win :(
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:11 pm

I'll just have to drink more alcohol! :eh:
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Well, my head cold has developed into a chest cold, and I can't seem to stop coughing. I've been getting about 2 hours of broken, cough-addled sleep a night. I think I might be getting bronchitis, but I don't know. I don't have insurance, so I can't go to the hospital. Does bronchitis go away without medication?
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Rusty » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:31 pm

StVandal wrote:Does bronchitis go away without medication?

Yes it can and I found this for your perusal:
Just when you thought you were finally over a cold, your chest starts to feel sore and you develop an irritating cough. Later, you might get the chills or a slight fever.

If these signs and symptoms sound familiar, you might have acute bronchitis, a condition that occurs when the inner walls that line the main air passageways of your lungs become infected and inflamed. Bronchitis often follows a respiratory infection such as a cold. And just as most people get occasional colds, virtually everyone has bronchitis at least once.

Most cases of acute bronchitis disappear within a few days without lasting effects, although coughs may linger three weeks or more. But if you have repeated bouts of bronchitis, see your doctor. You may have a more serious health problem — such as asthma, chronic bronchitis or emphysema — that needs attention.
It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks a lot, Rusty! That opening statement is me to a T.
Glad to know I'll eventually stop coughing. :tongue:
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Rusty » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:49 pm

I recently had the flu and ended up with bronchitis but I was determined not to take anything for it because I wanted my resistance to build up on its own so I didn`t take anything and I`m fine now.

I think the most annoying part of it is trying to sleep with that rattling wheezing sound in the throat and no amount of coughing will clear it.
It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby StVandal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm not wheezing at all, I just have this terrible cough that sounds like a seal. haha..
(here's what a seal sounds like):
http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2007-03-01_62925527301054/animals/seal2.wav
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:03 am

get echinacea!

check to make sure it is the good kind and not just fillers. i'd look them up but am too flipping tired.

it boosts you immune system.

you need to be careful that you don't get pnaemonia. it's been going around.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Health