Travel sickness

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

Travel sickness

Postby Sandra » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Does anyone have a good remedy for travel sickness?

I've got a bus journey ahead and not to good with long journeys :(
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:29 pm

There are pills to take. I also recommend taking lots of ginger. Naps also do well. :teach:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:08 pm

what do you mean by travel sickness?

if it's a queasy stomach, get gravol, which also may knock you out and does double duty.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Makinamess » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:46 am

"Travel, or motion, sickness occurs when repetitive small movements mean the brain is sent mixed messages. The eyes say one thing about the position of the body, while the delicate inner ear balance mechanisms are reporting something different"

I get this if I try to read a book or newspaper on a bus or in a car, so don't even bother trying to concentrate on written material. Don't have a large meal before the journey and try to avoid any alcohol. I find listening to music (headphones) quite good at stopping the sickness and I usually indulge in some (for me sugar free) hard boiled sweets - the sucking seems to help. There are some really good tablets you can get from the chemist but make sure you take them well before you start off.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Rusty » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:58 am

When we were small our mum gave us barley sugar sweets to suck on when we travelled and they always worked for us.
Nowadays,apart from the pills you can buy you can also buy wrist bands and they are very good too.
It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby pilvikki » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:26 pm

oh, and sit in the front of the bus, as far up as you can get a seat. makes a big difference.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:34 am

Thanks very much everyone for the good advice :D

Trips been posponed for a bit :( but I've noted your suggestions down and will use them at a later date :D
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Health