Americxan mental health

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

Americxan mental health

Postby bea » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:37 pm

I'm totally dumb when it comes to the workings of the american health care system. As i see it, you have to have insurance or you don't get treated. So i wonder.. if a person becomes severly metally ill and have no insurance, what steps are taken to get them back to health.

Do u have state run psych wards in which people can go and get better? do they then receive follow up care from teams of mental heath professionals? This has been on my mind since the shootings at VT. Cho had been institutinalised a couple of years back and i wonder, if he was clearly so mental, why did he not have a psych team behind him, helping him with choices, monitoring him and his medication etc. (assuming of course he didn't have such a team)

For example, in the uk we have the marvellous NHS. I have required their services in regards to mental health on many occasions and i have been dealt with by local psychiatric nurses who liase with my dr and myh psych team . I get follow up appointments, they look after my meds and generally keep tabs on me so they can see if i'm slipping or going a bit mental. Does this happen in the states if you can't afford it?
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:23 pm

In an emergency, everyone MUST be treated; that's the law. Of course, if you can afford better, you get better. Charity hospitals are no worse than British NHS places, according to several authors I have read who have seen both.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:43 pm

As far as I know, there's only state funded care for the mentally ill who are a danger to themselves or others. Even then, it's way underfunded and most of them end up on the street, homeless.
If you go to the emergency room, you'll get treated even if you don't have insurance.. but you'll end up owing the hospital several thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands. The American medical system is barbaric.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:26 pm

then what happens if you can't pay the hospital?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdkilmer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:50 pm

If you don't pay, they harass you for a while then give up. They just write it off.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Health