sore or not

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

sore or not

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Why is it when pain is inflicted by another without warning it hurts less?

eg: If you watch the nurse giving you a jag, it hurts like hell....by not watching the needle, most are convinced that is hurts less :confused: why is this?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:05 pm

odd, they rarely bother me at all. oh yeah, except for the battery acid they call demerol....

squeaky watched the nurse put a butterfly into her arm, then change tubes and she didn't say a peep, while her dear aunt needs to be thust up like a turkey and gagged for all the fuss she kicks up.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:15 pm

it probably has to do with the rush of adrenaline and other body chemicals? i'm thinking that when you know it's gonna hurt all those endorphins and stuff are released into your system making you more sensitive.

nothing hurts worse than KNOWING you are going to hurt yourself. like when i fell down stairs. ooooh that hurt like a bitch!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Re: sore or not

Postby ohlia » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Sandra wrote:Why is it when pain is inflicted by another without warning it hurts less?
eg: If you watch the nurse giving you a jag, it hurts like hell....by not watching the needle, most are convinced that is hurts less :confused: why is this?

I think it's all in the mind, and fear of the needle. Even the scent of the doctors office builds up fear, and the dentist office is a bigger fright. :argh:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:38 pm

funny, i'm not at all aware of being concerned in either case. but then, i could be fooling myself?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Re: sore or not

Postby Mads » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:18 am

Sandra wrote:Why is it when pain is inflicted by another without warning it hurts less?

I tried this today, Sandra. At the hospital I needed two different needles in my arms. I watched the first one, and it really hurt! The second one - I looked away and hardly felt anything. My left arm (the one that didn't hurt) is bruised to buggery and the right arm, which hurt like hell, is fine. :confused:
When helping the wicked, twisted and evil, expect no gratitude and be thankful if you escape with your life.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Return to Health