no more oil

Here is a forum for those among us whose mind is cluttered with factoids that border on useless information. It is a place to obtain such information for future reference.

no more oil

Postby Sandra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:38 am

What will happen when all the world's oil is gone?

Will we be able to survive without it?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:50 am

It would be different, but we still have many many years before that happens.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:44 am

many, many? i guess we shouldn't care since we probably won't be here to see it, right?
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:02 am

Right. By that time, we'll find something else. No need to stunt growth by being phobic.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 am

oh, right. cause there is no such thing as any kind of global climate change.

cause our government always has our best interests at heart. and they are definitely all about making sure we have oil/petroleum alternatives in place before a complete oil crisis, right?

wow...being this deluded is fun! it's like every day is a sunshiney day full of possibilities and joy. i mean, i might even want to get married or have kids next!

thank you, George W. Bush! you mighty, mighty man of heart who loves us all so much.

/end sarcasm.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby MargeC » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:41 am

meadow wrote:
wow...being this deluded is fun! it's like every day is a sunshiney day full of possibilities and joy.

/end sarcasm.

lol, I'll steal that quote for future use.

It's not totally a question yet of how much oil there is left, but how recoverable it is. If the oil is beneath the sea and the sea is very deep (say, mid atlantic), how would you ever plan to recover that oil. This is the major problem at the moment: it has to be cost effective.

All in all, probably really about 25 years left, give or take. The problem is not just in finding new power sources for cars and planes, but in doing all the other stuff that oil provides for: plastics, drugs, for example.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 am

MargeC wrote:
All in all, probably really about 25 years left, give or take. The problem is not just in finding new power sources for cars and planes, but in doing all the other stuff that oil provides for: plastics, drugs, for example.

:shock: 25 years, is that all, that's rather frightening is it not. With our technology could we not use water for our energy supply?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am

Sandra wrote:
MargeC wrote:

:shock: 25 years, is that all, that's rather frightening is it not. With our technology could we not use water for our energy supply?

Yes, 10 years maybe, from hydrogen. Maybe fusion.

Oil gives things other than energy, these may be hard to replace. In 25 years oil will be like $30000/bbl
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:22 am

MargeC wrote:

Oil gives things other than energy, these may be hard to replace. In 25 years oil will be like $30000/bbl

I think of these things and have to ask, I'm quite worried now.

so the sh*t will hit the fan so to speak in about 25 years then, if they can't replace oil :(
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:32 am

Sandra wrote:
MargeC wrote:

I think of these things and have to ask, I'm quite worried now.

so the sh*t will hit the fan so to speak in about 25 years then, if they can't replace oil :(

so long as the fan is not run on oil or other fossil fuels!!

Seriously, I try not to worry too much about these things. I do what I can to help the environment by driving a fuel efficient vehicle, recycling plastics and paper, conserving water and electricity, composting garbage, etc. My worrying about the amount of oil left in the world will not make there be any more there. If it would, maybe I would worry more.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:25 pm

well, there are many wind farms and more people are using solar power, which not only reduces greenhouse gasses, but saves on the oil as well. the only thing is that the hybric cars, solar panels, windmills etc are too damn expensive with no government incentives.

like wtf?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:47 am

Valleysailor wrote: My worrying about the amount of oil left in the world will not make there be any more there. If it would, maybe I would worry more.

I know your right VS, but when you've got as much spare time as I have you worry about everything, believe me being this bored has had me worrying about the most stupidiest things ever :lol:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Then I declare it time for you to take up a non-worry hobby!! Have you tried one? I started quilting when my last husband and I divorced and it was SOOOOO therapeudic. I also enjoy cross-stitching but my eyes are shot now and can't see to do it anymore. I love my garden, even on a small scale; it is so encouraging to plant seeds and know that something will spring forth!
STOP WORRYING!!!!! :D
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Return to Esoteric Trivia