Humour me

Here is a forum for those among us whose mind is cluttered with factoids that border on useless information. It is a place to obtain such information for future reference.

Humour me

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Why do our eyes have colour? I read in a magazine blue is the most common eye colour closely followed by brown then green. Do you think blue eyed people have advantages over brown or green eyed people? (just wondering)
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm

I´ve heard somewhere that blue-eyes let in more light and so they see better in darkness. Brown-eyes is not so easily offended by bright light though, such as the sun, and so has an easier time seeing in bright light.

When talking about genes though, blueeye-gen is "weaker" than browneye-gen, mening the chances of getting brown eyes are bigger. Green-eyes have the same basic gen as brown-eyes, but how that works out I have no idea. Really most common with blue eyes??? I had no idea...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:46 pm

i'm not sure but i'm blue-eyed! so i know that i rock harder than everyone without them! :wink:
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:09 pm

meadow's right-- we blue-eyes rock. Although under stress or any extreme emotion my eyes fade to gray.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:47 pm

mine are so dark that people often don't think they are blue at first. mine get darker the angrier i get. so they're often really indigo!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:13 am

mdkilmer wrote:meadow's right-- we blue-eyes rock. Although under stress or any extreme emotion my eyes fade to gray.

That's funny, so do mine I wonder why that is :confused:

Anyone with brown eyes noticed if their eye colour changes when stressed out or angry.:?:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:50 am

my eyes are every colour. they like hazel round the iris, green in the middle and have a blue rim. They change colour depending on the light. ANd if i cry they look blue.

They freak me out.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:42 am

mine are hazel also, change colour according to mood and light.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 am

bea wrote:my eyes are every colour. they like hazel round the iris, green in the middle and have a blue rim. They change colour depending on the light. ANd if i cry they look blue.

They freak me out.

strange eh :confused:

My daughter Rachael had blue eyes until she was 3 years old then they changed colour to brown and when she gets upset they look blue again, weird huh....
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sarah » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:04 am

Mine used to change between greenish/blue-ish/greyish, but they've been stuck on green for a long time now.
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:24 am

I still don't know why the eyes have colour Confused "anyone, anyone"!!

edit: I asked my optician this morning about the eye colour thingy and she said it would take to long to explain it....just my luck, is there an optician in the house :biggrin:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:36 am

I found this just now - it sort of makes sense :lol: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A734933 but this is a bit more manageable:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6195091.stm. However I can't find out WHY our irises have any colour at all - it must be to do with letting differing amounts of light into the eye.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:49 am

Makinamess wrote:I found this just now - it sort of makes sense :lol: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A734933 but this is a bit more manageable:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6195091.stm. However I can't find out WHY our irises have any colour at all - it must be to do with letting differing amounts of light into the eye.

messy, your a star :love: :love:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:08 pm

you must have missed this part when you were reading those pages:

In a brown eye there is a lot of melanin in the anterior border layer. This absorbs the light and gives a brown velvety appearance.

In a blue eye there is not much melanin in the anterior border layer. The light passes into the stroma where the collagen fibres scatter the light back as blue.

In a green eye (or a hazel one) there is a variable level of melanin, so that some of the light is absorbed by the melanin and some is scattered by the collagen. The brown layer looks yellow as it is thinner, and so the yellow and blue mix to make green.

that was excellent!

thanks you!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:16 pm

my sister has blue eyes with a yellow ring closest to the iris... that is freaky, but my stepsister has a mix of green, gray and brown in such a way as to make them seem reptilish...

My mothers eyes changes from blue to yellow depending on mood, light and clothes, but mostly mood. They get scary when she is angry
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Esoteric Trivia