Heaven or Hell

Here is a forum for those among us whose mind is cluttered with factoids that border on useless information. It is a place to obtain such information for future reference.

Heaven or Hell

Postby Sandra » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:58 pm

I think you all know me by now that I'm a born worrier, I seen this on another site I frequent and it got me wondering.

When a person's body stops functioning it is reported that it takes their brain six to twelve minutes to stop functioning (ie. brain death). In theory it is in this six to twelve minutes that a person experiences the state of heaven or hell. (flashes of their life). Do you think this is true? Could you still be thinking when they are pronouncing you dead, or have I got it all mixed up?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:56 pm

I don't think you will get an honest answer unless it's from a dead person who came back, and that is if they can remember. In reality, everyone alive would speculate that this or that might happen. I imagine when one is dying their breath is fading or diminishing, and when they can no longer breathe they are dead?

I have been around people just before the passed, and from my experiences I believe people know when they are going to die, or as some might say St. Peter is waiting at the pearly gates for them.

This raises another question, what about people in a coma. In what condition are their brains? I believe its in a different state of mind, it has to be because it still sends signals to the organs to function or partially function.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:08 pm

a pair of twin men were in a bad car accident, they both were sitting in the back seat, when they got hit.

when everything stood still after the collision, one of them said: "i don't feel so good." and he died without showing any sign of trauma. his neck was broken and he had enough blood left in his brain to just say that.

when they pronounce you dead in the hospital, that means no more brain activity, so you won't be overhearing anyone tell you that you're dead. just as well, i would be so annoyed, as in "no! i bloody well ain't!"

when i was younger, i thought that the best way to depart is not knowing what hit you, but now i realize that would be really tough on your family who'd be left sitting there thinking "well, that was rude, now what are we going to do with all this turkey?"
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:26 am

ohlia wrote:
This raises another question, what about people in a coma. In what condition are their brains? I believe its in a different state of mind, it has to be because it still sends signals to the organs to function or partially function.

My nephew was in a coma for 8 weeks, the docs were talking of switching off the machines when he started to come round.

What about the stories you hear and read of people that wake up a few hours later after being pronounced dead :confused: Your proably right Ohlia, no one really will know unless they have experienced such a thing.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sarah » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:17 am

A few years ago, my grandma went into a coma and we didn't think she was going to come out. When she did, she said she had gone to hell, and that God sent her back, telling her she didn't belong... kinda interesting.

of course, she also said she saw Queen Latifah! :tongue:
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:08 pm

as in most aspects of life, I think it differs. Situation to situation, person to person.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Esoteric Trivia