Close to fraud, or just business?

What fries your fritters? Almost anything goes here. Rant, rave, and get it off your chest. Topics may be controversial and contain adult content. THIS FORUM MAY CONTAIN PROFANITY

Close to fraud, or just business?

Postby Skinjob » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:24 pm

I bought a very nice camera last spring, about $200.00. It's a Sony DSC-S600. I can't begin to tell you all the nice features and the superb quality of this inexpensive camera. Basically it has a German "Zeiss" lens, that focus from a good wide angle to telephoto, while at the same time having a flash that shoots twice as far or more in a dark room than most digital cameras. It is very sensitive to light and will take pictures without a flash that other cameras can't do well. It is so small that it fits in the palm of your hand. You usually have to pay over 400 dollars to equal a camera like this. Sony quit selling them soon after they were announced.

I couldn't figure out why they would do such a stupid thing when the camera is so good. That's the problem, it was too good. The one they replaced it with is a DSC-S500, a piece of crap by comparison. It was a marketing decision because it was cutting into the sale of their more expensive models.

I thought that before the supply evaporates, that I would try to get another one for back-up in case mine fails for some reason. Sony didn't have any more, but I found a place that seemed almost too good to be true. They actually still had some, and they were selling them for an unbelievable sum of a 139 dollars. Cool. http://www.thenewconnection.com/vi-2477 ... -0MP-.html

Hah, when I went to order it, the game changed from the quoted price. They said that it has no factory warranty, and that they get them direct from Japan, and everything is in Japanese, including the software and the manual. But, of course, "We will sell you the American one with the full Sony warranty, but that costs more money." Then the obnoxious bastard proceeded to try to hard-sell me all sorts of stuff, and when I said, "No, just sell me the camera for 139 dollars.", he wouldn't stop, and he offered me lower prices for an extended warranty. His foot in the door didn't make me buy anything else, and it pissed me off.

I was pissed enough that I called back and found his supervisor, and complained. (There is a cultural difference between the far west and the north east, and I nearly made an ethnic slur, but I restrained myself.)

The supervisor spoke like a sh--t salesman with a mouth full of samples, too. But, when I gave him the same kind of "Jive Talk", that you expect from those in that part of the world, he was okay, and even threw in some extra goodies and quicker shipping without any additional charge. But, living up to his ethnic heritage, he did get another 20 bucks from me. :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm supposed to be getting the U.S. version with the full Sony warranty. (He had told me that the term "USA Warranty", in their ad is not the 1 year Sony warranty; I can only suppose that it was their own company's warranty that is mentioned in their ad.

He didn't say it, but I can only suppose that the company's free bogus warranty is like the Red Neck Okie warranty, "If it breaks in half, you own both pieces." :lol:
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:33 pm

I should have read the company ratings first.

http://www0.epinions.com/Foto_Connectio ... s_Services
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm wondering if those cameras are refurbished :confused:

I saw some pretty good deals here but I noticed quite a few of them are refurbished :roll:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi ... UB_CAT=999
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:44 pm

I think the tactic is called "Bait and Switch"
I'd have nothing to do with such a company regardless of how good the bargain.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby legend » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:41 pm

there are very few "real" bargains im afraid
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby ohlia » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Yogi wrote:I think the tactic is called "Bait and Switch"
I'd have nothing to do with such a company regardless of how good the bargain.

You might be right :woot:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Skinjob » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:20 pm

I got the camera in record time, 3 days. It is new. The package didn't look good though. The factory seal was missing and the box was torn. The batteries were bad, but no big deal, those were alkaline batteries, crap.

The Camera is perfect, and I feel good about the deal. Only, Only, Only, there was a camera just like it for 50 dollars less money, on sale, and just 60 miles from here in a Radio Shack store. :(

So much for that deal. But, most places sell the camera for 30 dollars more than I paid. :lol:
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:35 pm

All is well that ends well. :D
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Return to Flame Throwers