The tactics of some people...

What fries your fritters? Almost anything goes here. Rant, rave, and get it off your chest. Topics may be controversial and contain adult content. THIS FORUM MAY CONTAIN PROFANITY

The tactics of some people...

Postby brandtrn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Well, now I've seen it all! It isn't enough that charitable organizations see fit to knock on your door, call you on your telephone, or send you tons of junk mail demanding your contributions...now, they'll stop you in traffic, too!

Earlier today, while stopped at a traffic light, I was accosted by a young man who came up to my car, asking me to contribute a "few dollars" to one of our local charities. I noticed that there were several others, all dressed in the same orange safety vests, accosting other drivers. Good grief! There ought to be a law against this...people should not have to worry about being accosted by folks asking for $$$, essentially being "held hostage" by these people until the traffic signal changes. And no, I DIDN'T contribute to their charity...in the first place, I rarely, if ever, carry cash with me, and in the second place, I resented their tactics. Those of us who are charitably inclined already HAVE our favorite charities to which we regularly contribute. Unfortunately, my resources are NOT infinite, and I have no intention of directing any portion of them towards an organization whose tactics are so abominably obnoxious. Grrrr...
Last edited by brandtrn on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby Yogi » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 pm

They do the exact same thing at the downtown intersection of my community several times a month, so it seems. These people are a traffic hazard not to mention obnoxious. They need a permit to do it, and I guess that's why the village allows it. It's a source of revenue for them. But, I never give those kind of solicitors as much as an evil glance. I'm with you in not appreciating their tactics one bit.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby ohlia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:20 pm

How does one know those charity-collectors are not pocketing a portion of the money? Give me a break … there ought to be a law against this.

Another thing I dislike is the guys who comes up unexpectedly and starts washing your windshield when you are waiting at the stop light for it to change to green.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby chicklin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:23 am

I totally agree with whats been said so far...I absolutely hate being held to ransom by people like these.

They are completely wasting their time with me though - I just refuse to play ball.

My attitude is...if they want to wash my windscreen - they can go ahead by all means - but I'm not paying them as I didn't ask them to do it in the first place!........at no time did I enter into any contract with them - verbal or otherwise - which states that they will clean my winscreen and I will pay them for the service......so they can peesh off!!!!

.......And as for charities soliciting like that......totally wrong too.

I've done my bit standing for hours with a collecting tin trying to raise much needed funds for a local charity and we are not even allowed to shake the tin at people nowadays......we are only allowed to hold the tin and look hopeful! :roll: ....and smile nicely! :biggrin:
Karma will always come back and get you so be nice to everyone
chicklin
Trapped Under Ice

Postby meadow » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:09 pm

it's people like those that make most good people not care about the plight of the poverty stricken and those worse off then themselves. *sigh*

GRRRRR!!!! and how much do you want to bet it was some sort of Christian based organization?? i see more and more that the ones that rub me the wrong way have a religious based intention to them. and i resent that. hrmph.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Flawless » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:32 pm

I ran over one guys foot once when he was trying to get me to donate money. I said, if you're not away from my car when I count to 3 I will go. He then put his foot under the tire and so I counted to 3 and it wasn't removed. Also, the light had just turned green when he came up to me.
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:58 pm

We have a couple of legit ones around here, but they always piss me off as they screw up traffic badly. Traffic is bad enough with Kentucky drivers and those of Indiana with "feel good" license plates. I just want to go on with my life, and I so want to GTA when somebody on foot does something to screw over my driving progress.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:37 pm

I am currently very glad that A) I don't have a car and B) We don't have these kinds of things over here.

Alright, so these people are annoying and a hazard to the traffic... But, doesn't the people who hired them in the first place think about how dangerous it is for them? I mean, walking around on a highly trafficated road doesn't sound sensible to me...

Sounds more like they're suicidal than anything else...
"Homophobia - the irrational fear that homosexuals will move in and rearrange your furniture against your will."
Nathaniel
Hero Of The Day

Return to Flame Throwers