Grrrr!!!

Software and hardware questions and advice for the novice and the professional.

Grrrr!!!

Postby bermbits » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:58 pm

A fellow teacher gave me a CD of pictures he had taken this weekend. I opened it on my school computer, and it was fine, but when I got home, nothing! I tried everything I could think of to open it, but my machine doesn't recognize the disk. I even looked for "appropriate programs" on the net, but again nothing.

Am I overlooking something obvious, or am I doomed? Thanks.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby mdkilmer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Is it a CD or a DVD disk? If it was written in DVD, you need new codecs to view the pix.

"Search" your disk on volume (whatever your drive letter is). Your machine defaults to hard drives, so you'll have to change that to your optical drive before searching. You should see the files come up. Click on them.

Windows Media will probably be your player. If it's not working, d/l and install it again. If it still doesn't work, d/l a program like Irfanview and use that to view the files (pictures).
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:16 pm

The school program was Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I don't have that at home. Others haven't worked yet.
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:58 pm

Irfanview didn't work? As far as I know, it supports every picture format ever devised.

Have you tried downloading Windows Picture & Fax Viewer from the Microsoft website? Or reinstalling it from your Windows XP disk?
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:33 am

In Irfanview, I still get a message saying the drive is not accessible - Incorrect fuction.

Oh, well...

Thanks for trying.

(I will try ms site later).
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby kg5uc » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 pm

If the disk <i>is</i> a DVD and you have a cd-r/w drive, all the codecs in the world won't help you. A cd-r/w drive is <i>physically incapable</i> of reading a DVD. However, if you have a DVD+-R/W drive, they usually will read cd r's or r/w's.

Have you used Windows Explorer to try and view the file names on the drive? What it sounds like to me is your drive isn't even able to read the disk itself (i.e., the "drive is not accessible - Incorrect function" message). This could be because they use different software for formatting and recording cd-r's and r/w's (I've had problems with this recently). For instance, if the school uses Roxio software to format and record their cds and you use Nero, these two software use different driver software which is incompatible with each other. Roxio uses DirectCD and Nero uses InCD.

You can try to view the files on the cd with Windows explorer and, if you can view them and they look right (i.e., they don't have a file size of 1 kb, for instance), try copying them to your hard drive and viewing them from your hard drive.

I don't know why else they would work on your school computer but not on your home computer. The only other thing I could tell you to try is if you have a flash drive, then take it to school, transfer the pictures from his cd to your flashdrive there, then bring it home and view it and/or transfer it from the flash drive to a cd/r formatted on your computer, if that's the idea.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Cats eye » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Late in reading/responding to this.

Common problem, it seems. I read an article recently, about having a CD burned with one program on a PC, and not recognized in another PC. In addition to the other pesky problem of not having the CD, itself recognized.
No promises, but I'll try to find that information and post it. As it happens I need it, too!
Cats eye
Trapped Under Ice

Postby bermbits » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks, all, but it's all history now.
I do appreciate the suggestions and information.
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Computers