DVD burner

Software and hardware questions and advice for the novice and the professional.

DVD burner

Postby mdkilmer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:47 am

My CD burner died, so I replaced it with a DVD burner.

It works fine as a CD burner, but locks my computer up completely when I try to make a backup of a movie. I have to shut the computer off to unfreeze it. It happens with both DVD-R and DVD+R discs.

Using
Win XP Pro
Nero 7
DVD Shrink

I have 512 MG RAM and 120 GB of empty hard disk space.

Is there some setting that I should reset?
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:34 am

Can you check out the system event viewer and verify what is causing the lock up? Nero worked fine for me on Vista and I'd be surprised if it can't work on XP as well.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby angel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:31 am

it *might* be nero 7. i used that as well and had all sorts of troubles with it. i went back to 6, and everything works like a charm now.

adding a sh*tload of ram won't hurt you either. it is not that expensive! write down the motherboard details, visit the nearest computer center and add as much as possible. you will love the results.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Update:

I got it working.

1. I use DVDshrink to break the copy codes.
2. Nero 7 (as I found out) certainly is part of the problem. Nothing later than version 6.6.0.18 works well (or at all) with what i'm trying to do.
3. Shutting down extra applications, processes, and "protection" programs seemed like a great idea, but didn't help.
4. It makes a huge difference in which you install programs.
5. Nero keeps dialing out to look for updates. You have to configure it after installation so it'll stop interrupting the burn process.

6. I took a new, blank hard drive on an old Pentium III machine that I had laying around. I installed XP and then put the DVD burner in there. Added Nero 6.6.0.18 and then DVDshrink 3.2.15. (DVDshrink is freeware. There's a "DVDshrink 2007" that isn't the same program and which costs money. Don't get it.)

7. I have a reason for this, and it's not for making money. My sister has a brain tumor and loves watching movies. I often loan movies to her. However, her two youngest children have taken full advantage of her progressing incapacities and get away with absolutely anything. Consequently, I often get my DVDs back badly scratched, unplayable, or not at all. I've found a system that lets me loan her movies and still keep my originals pristine. When she gives them back I'll just put the copies in a box in the basement (or maybe put the originals in a box in the basement-- I haven't decided).

Thanks for everyone's comments, suggestions, and help.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby angel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:57 am

sorry to hear about your sister... hope she gets well.

glad to hear you solved the problem. nero 7 isn't the best thing ever... to me it was more a serious downgrade...
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Return to Computers