Transfer HD info

Software and hardware questions and advice for the novice and the professional.

Transfer HD info

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:21 pm

Is there a way to transfer the data to a new had drive?

I've got all my stuff on a 20G HD that I've finally outgrown. I want to transfer everything EXACTLY to my new 160G hard drive. I want to be able to just swap the drives and have it boot up and run-- I don't want to have to reinstall and/or reconfigure the programs all over again. I've finally got every perfectly the way I want it on the 20G drive, and i don't want to start over.

I've used an old "DataLife Tools" diskette to partition and format the new one. I bought the new drive as an OEM product. It came with no "Install" disk.

I just want to keep everything exactly the way it is now, with minimal effort.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:39 pm

Install the new drive into the old computer as a slave.
Then you will just have to copy everything from one drive to the other
After you do that, reinstall the new drive into the new machine as the master boot drive
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby lagzilla » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:54 am

Well one way you can do it is make a 20 gig partition on your 120 gig then clone it and restore it to the main NTFS partition
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/
Note: I have not used this tool myself but it looks good, Oh and dont forget to remove your SID's I am assuming you use Windows
"The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do." - Joseph Stalin
lagzilla
Helpless

Postby kg5uc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Yogi's method will not work. I know...I've tried, and you can't copy the files to make it a bootable disk (actually, the disk boot sector is a separate "partition" that is separate from the actual "C:" drive).

Lagzilla's method won't work, either...especially since, according to the web page at the link he provided it states:

<i>"Project Admins: steven_shiau
<b><u>Operating System: All POSIX (Linux/BSD/UNIX-like OSes), Linux</u></b>
License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
Category: Installation/Setup, Backup, Systems Administration"</i>

Seems it doesn't run under Windows.

Since you only have a 20 GB HD, you might have some luck with a disk cloning software, such as Ghost (which I use), but when <a href="http://www.brainformation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6932"><u>I recently changed hard drives,</u></a> I wasn't willing to go through the major problems with cloning the huge drive that I was replacing. As you can see by my previous posting, I went through quite a row, but short of using cloning software, here is how you can do it in a nutshell:

First, put your new drive into your computer as a slave (the manual should show you how to set the jumpers to make it a slave, or it will be printed somewhere on the drive, showing you the jumper positions). You will then need to format at least two partitions (Partition Magic is very handy for this, or any other software, including the DOS format command). The first should be at the beginning of the disk (your new C: partition), and the other behind it (It will be lettered D:, eventually, though when you create them, they will be labeled D: and E: respectively).

Now, you will need to change the jumpers on the new drive to the Master position and the jumpers on the old drive to slave. You will need to break out your Windows installation disk and install Windows to the C: partition on your new disk. You won't need to worry about registering it or updating it or anything...just do the complete installation. This will establish the boot sector on the new disk.

When you are done installing your version of Windows in the C: drive, you are then ready to copy or transfer the files from the C: partition on the old disk into the new C: partition in which you've just installed Windows. You will need to switch both the disks back over (old one to Master, new one to Slave), boot onto the old disk, erase everything in the new "C:" drive (which now should be back to "D:"...check to make sure you're erasing the info off the partition that you just installed the new Windows installation into), and then copy everything off of the old C: drive onto the new C: drive. This should put everything that was on the old drive on to the new one. Then when you make the final switchback (new drive to Master, old drive to slave) you should be able to easily boot up to your old operating system on the new drive.

You can click on the link I gave you at the start of this and see what I went through switching drives and what I learned in the process. Of course, the absolute easiest way that you can switch drives is with disk cloning software. If I'm not mistaken, if you clone the whole hard drive to a new one, it will copy it partition(s), boot sector, and all.

No matter how you decide to do it, be sure to clean up the disk before you transfer it...Run Disk Cleanup (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools) to get rid of unnecessary and temporary files; launch your browser(s) and get rid of Temporary internet files, browsing history, etc. The less "junk" you need to copy over, the less time it will take, and depending on how you keep up with these tasks, it might make your computer noticeably faster and smoother, to "boot" (sorry about the pun, son!).

I notice that the post and the other answers were several days ago, so if you've already done it, I hope it went smoothly for you.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby mdkilmer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:43 pm

Actually, I tried both methods mentioned and found that neither worked.

I guess I'll have to get cloning software (Partition Magic?).

However, for some reason my whole computer has stopped working. I'm using an old desktop that my son gave me when he bought his new laptop. I've got my newer computer on a table and I'm trying to figure out how to unseat the CPU so I can start completely over. Unfortunately this is one that I bought with the MB installed so I put in everything EXCEPT the CPU and the memory.

I'll probably leave things alone until my cataract surgery, when I'll be able to actually see what I'm doing.

Thanks.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby kg5uc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 pm

No, Partition Magic is partitioning software. You should be able to find quite a few free cloning software. One I found is <a href="http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html"><u>HDClone.</u></a> The way the website reads, this should be just the ticket for you to migrate to the new Hard Drive.

Hey, good luck on unseating the CPU. I can't even figure out how to unseat the cooling fan off of mine, should I want or need to change it, without damaging the MB in the process. I'm sure there's a way...I just don't know how.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Yogi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:32 am

I have made bootable disks using the DOS format command. I admit that I don't know what it would do on a hard drive. Be that as it may, your old drive should already have a boot sector on it. All you need to do is change the jumpers to make it the master disk and the same on your new drive to make it the slave. Again, I've never done it personally, but have read about other people who have.

Is it possible for you to burn the data to a CD image of your drive? I know that using images is one way to deploy systems on a large scale. It should work on a single machine as well.

My cpu is mounted in a ZIF socket and would be easy to remove if necessary, but I understand that not all machines are built that way. You could try resetting the BIOS, I suppose. Not sure if it would help, but all it involves is lifting the battery out if its socket for a few seconds. Your PC will reboot clean then.

I also know that you can run various flavors of LINUX from a CD. That makes it possible to boot up in LINUX and you may be able to transfer files from one drive to another that way. Of course you will not be able to run any Windows programs in LINUX, but if all you need to do is copy things over, that may be a way to go.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Return to Computers