Who or What

A forum for pointed and structured discussions of any topic. The rules of engagement are more rigorously enforced here than in the other forums.

Who or What

Postby van » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:52 am

Kia ora

Who or what are we?
The internet with its anonymity allows us to vent, express our thoughts, emotions, prejudices etc
Yet are we anonymous ?
By name and location perhaps, but by nature, far from it
The written word, unable to be erased (I am taking a liberty here) when read is just as relevant in forming an opinion of just who and what we are
I wonder how many would use terminology on the net that they do not use normally? in effect letting the reader form an opinion of them which those under normal? circumstances may not1

Given the power of the net, I guess only a fool would contemplate that should they act outside their normal? behaviour, they will continue to get away with it
What, I wonder ,is the need to hide?

Sure, today what with all the spying done, people tend toward protecting their privacy, but if carried on into their private life, does this not lead to isolation?

Reflecting on the past, not just my own, but even further back, I have been struck (ouch!)(warped humour!) by the sense of community, the assistance offered, the willingness to change things that needed changing
This has only been possible because people knew and respected the strengths and weaknesses of their fellow travellers and united in a common bond

It maybe argued that the net provides this to some extent, yet the very nature of it, in my opinion also defeats it, primarily due to the fact that likeminded individuals live far apart, in different countries under different regimes

I have been fortunate to have met many individuals via the net, and for this I am grateful, for it allows me to see the otherside of the coin, so to speak
It is one of the reasons I use at times an individuals name, for to me it has substance, rather then just another blogger?

Methinks that if we want a better world, we have to know who and what we are dealing with rather then a guessing game, where an individual constantly changes his/her identity from site to site

What say you peasants? (those familiar with "Blackadder" will appreciate) :lol:
Yes I know, a good nite at the club partaking of the "fruit of the vine" , rambling............

Arohanui
shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby bea » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:54 am

would you like to read my dissertation? :biggrin:
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:13 am

i'm the same way in real life as i am here. i'm private to an extent but certain things i don't mind being made public. but i never say anything online that i wouldn't mind someone reading. i know better!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:39 am

i could toy with the idea of creating an identity. oh yes... one of cool sophistication, superior intellect, impeccable taste.

yeah, that'll happen!

:hysterical:

for me there is no point in trying to create anything - for what purpose would that serve? as it is, we all are different people at different times anyway. our ideals and philosophy may change slowly but just light a fire under my tail feathers and you'll see a change in tone real quickly!

ask me something at 9 am and ask me the same thing at 9 pm....
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby haysi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:12 pm

I found your post extremely interesting and it hit a raw nerve with me. When I first came 'online' I enjoyed it immensely - a whole world of people that I could chat to and have a laugh with without leaving my house! I enjoyed the banter and became friendly with a lot of people, it was not uncommon for me to be on a chatsite (cerescape) and have 6 or 7 people on msn messenger at the same time! I used to love 'myspace' too and spent ages on my profile and talking to people.

I loved the community feeling of chatsites but suddenly last May I became close to someone - it was a laugh at first and grew 'serious' pretty quickly and we spent ages communicating via chatsites, (this one included LOL) e-mail, messenger and then by text. I never give my mobi number out and this was a big step for me btw! I didnt chat to anyone else and stopped being flirty with other guys online. Its strange looking back now when I now know that this person lied to me and lots of others. I found out recently that most people knew he was lying and wondered why they didnt tell me - but hey I probably wouldnt have believed them at the time. There were warning signs LOL, I mean if someone appears to be too good to be true, they normally are ;)

I believed him when we chatted about his life, his family, his life threatening health scares, and I feel betrayed as I shared a lot about my life, my mums death and how it affected me and my feelings with him. I know that people can take on a persona online - but to lie about the things that he did is despicable and downright nasty.

I must add that there are quite a lot of people online who are genuine and who I still contact regularly via chatsites, and e-mail. I have had fallings out with people online too, but on the whole I am on good terms with most of them now. Life is too short to hold grudges and too precious to waste on liars isnt it?

Hxx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Kia ora Haysi

. Life is too short to hold grudges and too precious to waste on liars isnt it?

Holding grudges and harbouring resentment only results in stress and its associated ill health

"Live life to the full, but don't be a fool living it"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 pm

it's not just online one runs into cheats and liars, but the net makes it much easier for those so inclined.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby haysi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:54 am

van wrote:Kia ora Haysi

. Life is too short to hold grudges and too precious to waste on liars isnt it?

Holding grudges and harbouring resentment only results in stress and its associated ill health

"Live life to the full, but don't be a fool living it"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill

Thank you Bill, those are wise words indeed.

quote="pilvikki"]it's not just online one runs into cheats and liars, but the net makes it much easier for those so inclined.[/quote]

Pilvikki, I do agree with you and you put your trust in someone and then it turns out to be misplaced. That smarts. I am a firm believer in Karma and 'what goes around comes around'and so those cheats and liars find themselves duped one day too. :biggrin:
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:03 am

'what goes around comes around'and so those cheats and liars find themselves duped one day, too.

one could only hope, but i'm not so sure it works that way...

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:33 am

i've found out that the internet provides a certain type of man an easier time in creating a way to lie and cheat on women though. it's been my experience that every single man i've started any kind of relationship [other than just friendship] with on the internet has ended in cheating, lying about the cheating and just lying in general about who they really are.

the best is when you move to live with that person and THEN discover what a liar and a cheater they are! then you are stuck in a shitty town you didn't really want to be in the first place and your heart broken.

life's too short to just let go of bad hurts. sometimes you should revel in it so you properly learn the lesson that men on the internet are a bad, bad idea. just forgiving that is total stupidity and allows you to be doormat again in the future. i'll never, ever again trust another man...especially the ones on the internets! they aren't worth the energy. i'll continue to remain hateful and bitter about it, thanks. at least i know i'll never get duped into something stupid again!

if more people didn't just try to be better people...i think that would make them a better person. i firmly believe in what goes around, comes around. Karma is a big, fat, hateful mean bitch. and those people will always get what's coming to them.

and it's okay for me to hurry that along a little bit. and wish for their downfall with all my heart. and laugh when it happens!!!!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:26 pm

I always hate when people say things like "i'm nothing like my online persona, in real life i'm really mellow." Why be something you're not? I'm the same online as i am off, like me or loathe me, i refuse to pretend to be someone or something else.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:35 pm

i believe that some people don't think their own personalities are enough, so they alter it to become more like they think they ought to be. ought to be, for whatever reason...

i was friends with someone who had built an entire online life for herself, complete with extra kids, b/f, cottage, career etc. i worked with a guy who'd leave the house in a suit and tie, had his lunch in his briefcase and pushed a broom [slowly] all day.

same difference?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby haysi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:37 pm

meadow wrote:i've found out that the internet provides a certain type of man an easier time in creating a way to lie and cheat on women though. it's been my experience that every single man i've started any kind of relationship [other than just friendship] with on the internet has ended in cheating, lying about the cheating and just lying in general about who they really are.

This has been my experience recently. It was a total shock to me, but I there were a lot of signs that he was lying. Its easy to look back and see that now. :roll: I know that he is still lying about himself, about me and doing his best to discredit me - whilst he was still keeping in touch with me!!

life's too short to just let go of bad hurts. sometimes you should revel in it so you properly learn the lesson that men on the internet are a bad, bad idea. just forgiving that is total stupidity and allows you to be doormat again in the future. i'll never, ever again trust another man...especially the ones on the internets! they aren't worth the energy. i'll continue to remain hateful and bitter about it, thanks. at least i know i'll never get duped into something stupid again!

I feel betrayed more than anything. I havent really let myself think about what he has lied about. I was well and truly duped. However I will not resort to 'hating' him as that attaches an importance to him that he is not worth.
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:49 pm

haysi wrote:I feel betrayed more than anything. I havent really let myself think about what he has lied about. I was well and truly duped. However I will not resort to 'hating' him as that attaches an importance to him that he is not worth.

That is my experience also.

I won´t say forgiven, I won´t say forgotten. I do say not worth dwelling on becuase of the energy spent the person is not deserving of. Not worth it.

No, I´m the same online as offline- or as close to as I can get; through no fault of my own. I say what I mean bothplaces, but I may not be as good at get it across online. Why? I´m too dependent on bodylanguage to know what words to use! A biproduct of beeing raised within deaf-culture - I´m sure. I still state what I mean, say what I think when it needs saying; but the responding part? It is so difficult when I have no inkling of what peolple mean by what they say; that is most often written in facial expressions and body-posture. Perhaps I just expect too much.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:16 pm

AJRC_CS wrote:I always hate when people say things like "i'm nothing like my online persona, in real life i'm really mellow." Why be something you're not? I'm the same online as i am off, like me or loathe me, i refuse to pretend to be someone or something else.

My sentiments exactly.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Debate and Discussion