Are soap operas true to life?

A forum for pointed and structured discussions of any topic. The rules of engagement are more rigorously enforced here than in the other forums.

Are soap operas true to life?

Postby haysi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Do you think that soap operas are true to life? I watched an episode of Coronation Street tonight and there was blackmail, infidelity, prostitution, two mates (one gay) having a baby, a psycho trying to burn a house down, etc etc etc

Would you let yourself be blackmailed? I bloody wouldnt and didnt :biggrin:

What makes us watch these soap operas - are American 'soaps' more glamourous than ours? HELL YEAH, I used to love DALLAS, FALCONS CREST (Jane Wyman was the best bitch EVER), KNOTS LANDING, oh and SUNSET BEACH - TERRIFIC!

What do you think?

Hays xxx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Kia ora haysi

The only soap I have ever watched on a regular basis was in fact Coronation St, but many,many yrs ago, when Ena Sharples was still in it
After that I feel they lost the plot

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:20 pm

apart from certain workplaces where people seem to switch spouses on a regular basis, i'd guess that soaps are sort of condenced life? they take out all the everyday living, like doing groceries, giving kids a bath, mowing the lawn...

i've never watched them because they're toooooo slow moving.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdkilmer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:15 pm

You mean like Friends? Where one part-time waitress manages to pay for a 1500-sq-foot apartment in downtown New York City?
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:18 pm

you mean a p/t waitress in NY can't?

:tongue:

most shows, like frasier, boston legal, house etc are something like soaps, it just depends on how they're served.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:04 am

Marv: Monica's grandmother was on the lease, officially. they lived in a rent controlled apartment. which is how they could both afford to live in such a kick ass apartment. it was really her grandma's who chose to move to Florida and retire. :)

soap operas are absolutely NOTHING like real life. i would never wear those clothes or do my hair up like that all the time. who the hell has time for all that?? or money? and if you do...why would you want to?

it's meant to be a nice, escapist piece of entertainment. cause no matter how bad you got it...at least your Evil Twin sister didn't marry your dad who is now also your uncle and cousin! and your dead son coming back from the dead to marry your mother! :P
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby haysi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:31 pm

:lol: yes Meadow they are entertaining! I used to LOVE Sunset Beach it was outrageous!

We dont tend to get all the really outrageous American Soaps, British soaps are meant to be gritty and true to life. However I think that it is more of an exaggeration of real life.

If you get the chance watch 'Emmerdale', that is dramatic and funny in equal measures. :D
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 pm

God, imagine if soaps were like real life? No one would ever stay faithful, as everyone in your street or neighbourhood would be sleeping with each other.

Hollyoaks is my favourite, perfect hangover TV on a Sunday morning. Thankfully life is nothing like Hollyoaks, but who cares when it has Roxanne Mckee. :love: :D
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby haysi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:52 pm

AJRC, I watched Hollyoaks today for the first time in ages and it was hilarious. The best line ever in a soap opera was "If you are going to live with my daughter, take her husband as well" as the skanky mum brought the fake marriage husband around to Tonys flat! I was in fits. :lol:
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:29 pm

I used to watch "Dark Shadows," a Gothic soap. I rarely missed an episode.
Then through my wife, I watched "General Hospital." No, very little resembles real life.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby threenorns » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 pm

um.... speaking from my life, HELL YEAH!

lessee: various forms of abuses (physical, emotional, financial, and substance - not me, thankfully, too stubborn)... check; infidelities.... check; smothering brilliant talent under a barrel.... check; children born out of wedlock.... check; child born to the non-husband.... check; attempt to kidnap child.... check; psycho hubbie.... check; child manifestig wierd neurological conditions ... check (musta been my House phase); revolving door relationship... check; suspicion, jealousy, and paranoia .... check; getting stuck trying to drive a 2wd f150 down a mud logging road two days after a hard rain and having to be rescued by two hotties with a backhoe.... double check (except the second time, it was a skidoo trail and a drop-off and it wasn't a hottie, just dennis with his dually).

hell, i've even had to shoot my faithful old dog! two of them!
threenorns
Helpless

Postby pilvikki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:27 am

that's not a soap, that's a country song!

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby threenorns » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:29 am

coulda bin worse - coulda been goth metal.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby pilvikki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:36 am

the music's better at least.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Debate and Discussion