deafness

A forum for pointed and structured discussions of any topic. The rules of engagement are more rigorously enforced here than in the other forums.

deafness

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:30 pm

hearing impaired or whatever the latest pc word is.

silke got me thinking....

i worked with several deaf people and found their over the top body language hard to watch. i was brought up to give away as little as possible and learned that a bit too well. except for the lying part, can't lie to save my life.

i had the golden opportunity to learn sign language, but simply was too stiff and self-conscious to let it sink in.

why do we do that to ourselves?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 am

leaving your comfort zone is what holds everyone back in life. even if it's abusive, unhealthy or wrong for you...we feel compelled to do it.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby emanresu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:11 am

I really think it's what we let other people do to us rather than what we do to ourselves. Fear of ridicule is hard to overcome, especially if one's upbringing is filled with such phrases as, 'shhh, they'll hear you' or, 'don't make a scene.' I was always taught to be as unobtrusive as possible, and as I look back, it wasn't really training at all, it was just to save my elders from any potential embarrassment.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Silke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:08 pm

I know what you mean, pilvikki. I learned the same when I was little, all though not at home. That was when I lived up north; there wasn´t many deaf around.

Atleast for two years I spoke only with the signing part of signlanguage and fell off whenever people started to use body language. Little by little I learned to trust myself and I learned that the use of body language doesn´t really give off anything you don´t want to show. I got better after that...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Kia ora Hooch

why do we do that to ourselves?

Does it have to do with our "nature"? introverted,extroverted?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:47 pm

well, bill, i'm an introvert, so possibly that is the root cause? i've overcome a lot of my cultural conditioning and can perfectly happily speak with total strangers. i've nothing interesting to hide either, more's the pity.

silke also has a point, as i ponder this, i realise that if i'd been thrown in with a bunch of people solely commuting by signing, i would have lost the self-conscious feeling -- eventually.

watching the sign language has always felt to me like evesdropping and very rude, yet how else does one learn?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby threenorns » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:35 pm

watching sign language conversation is eavesdropping, true - but then again, how may times have you been in a restaurant and found yourself listening (without really listening) to the conversation behind you while maintaining your own?

same thing.

and we do it to ourselves so we don't get whacked by mom for making ourselves look like tools and casting doubt on her parenting ability.

now, if you were *italian*......!
threenorns
Helpless

Postby Silke » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:44 am

it´s not really eavesdropping unless you understand what they are saying... and wouldn´t it be more like "sightdropping"? or "seedropping"? "eyedropping"? (lol, nevermind)
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby threenorns » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:06 am

nah - it's "sightseeing", lol.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:44 pm

I have had to learn basic sign language to work where I do...
it is what we often use to communicate with kids..

I have been known to forget myself and use it when I am speaking and frustrated...lol

it has made a store clerk or two look at me oddly..
not to mention dan..
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Silke » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:51 am

solana wrote:I have been known to forget myself and use it when I am speaking and frustrated...lol

... or tired, or angry... or not getting my pont across... or there is some distance between me and the one supposed to get the message.. When I get annoyed though it is sami and THAT gives some funny stares!
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:28 pm

... or tired, or angry... or not getting my pont across... or there is some distance between me and the one supposed to get the message.. When I get annoyed though it is sami and THAT gives some funny stares!

even my dog is learning a bit ... lol

Now if nly the person I am signing at would get it! :P

hehe
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Return to Debate and Discussion