Will Bush Cancel The 2008 Election?

A forum for pointed and structured discussions of any topic. The rules of engagement are more rigorously enforced here than in the other forums.

Will Bush Cancel The 2008 Election?

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:06 am

by Harvey Wasserman & Bob Fitrakis

It is time to think about the “unthinkable.”

The Bush Administration has both the inclination and the power to cancel the 2008 election.

The GOP strategy for another electoral theft in 2008 has taken clear shape, though we must assume there is much more we don’t know.

But we must also assume that if it appears to Team Bush/Cheney/Rove that the GOP will lose the 2008 election anyway (as it lost in Ohio 2006) we cannot ignore the possibility that they would simply cancel the election. Those who think this crew will quietly walk away from power are simply not paying attention.

The real question is not how or when they might do it. It’s how, realistically, we can stop them.

In Florida 2000, Team Bush had a game plan involving a handful of tactics. With Jeb Bush in the governor’s mansion, the GOP used a combination of disenfranchisement, intimidation, faulty ballots, electronic voting fraud, a rigged vote count and an aborted recount, courtesy of the US Supreme Court.

A compliant Democrat (Al Gore) allowed the coup to be completed.

In Ohio 2004, the arsenal of dirty tricks exploded. Based in Columbus, we have documented more than a hundred different tactics used to steal the 20 electoral votes that gave Bush a second term. More are still surfacing. As a result of the King-Lincoln-Bronzeville federal lawsuit (in which we are plaintiff and attorney) we have now been informed that 56 of the 88 counties in Ohio violated federal law by destroying election records, thus preventing a definitive historical recount.

As in 2000, a compliant Democrat (John Kerry) allowed the coup to proceed.

more here

I have been worried for some time that the administration would blow something else up... and declare a need to postpone the election.
They can, and if anyone would do something like that it is the current administration.

in 1933 GW Bush's grandad was involved in a plot to overthrow
the government and install a fascist government.
Seems Georgie boy is going to do it for him..

BBC story here

I heard nothing about this on our media..

BE afraid... be very afraid
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby threenorns » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:53 am

you know what, solana? there's a LOT you're not seeing on your media.

when i was in new york, i was all excited to see the long list of channels, figuring finally i'll get cutting-edge stuff.

what i got was:

gunsmoke - the original series!

wild wild west - again

i love lucy - seriously, folks, how many times can you listen to that whine?

news shows that were oddly bereft of actual content

and weather reports that stopped at the border when they weren't blaming canada. unlike our reports, however, which say "our neighbours to the south", american weather reports just said "from the north" or "from north of the border".

thanks, guys.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby Bedford » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 am

Solana, that piece was written by delusional paranoids that have taken way too much pot and have a blood alcohol level of .34

It's not even worth dignifying.
Last edited by Bedford on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:59 am

believe me three.. I know.. that is why I read Canadian and UK news online....

Bedford.. you are most certainly entitled to your opinion...

of course I disagree...

and even if you were right about the writers.. which I disagree with..
but the facts remain the facts...

I keep hoping for a huge sinkhole to open.... and close quickly... during a cabinet meeting..

Bush, Cheney, Rove, Condy etc.....
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:05 am

Solana, you do realize that Novemeber 2008 will eventually come and go, and you'll look foolish for entertaining this possibility. :roll:

Even the tyrant Lincoln allowed elections.

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 am

I wouldn't put anything past Dubya and his corrupt administration, would the people stand for it though? Dubya is already one of the worst Presidents in American history, that fact will never go away. But will the American public allow a man they have no respect for to basically hijack the White House, tear up the Constitution and piss all over everything America stands for? I'd like to think the public just wouldn't stand for it.

Where's a Presidential assassin when you need one. :biggrin:
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:29 am

well, aj, they did allow it...
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby bermbits » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 am

How ridiculous it is to think Bush would try something like that. He'd have to, well, read this to see what he'd have to do to lay the groundwork:

"In a stealth maneuver, President Bush has signed into law a provision which, according to Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont), will actually encourage the President to declare federal martial law (1). It does so by revising the Insurrection Act, a set of laws that limits the President's ability to deploy troops within the United States. The Insurrection Act (10 U.S.C.331 -335) has historically, along with the Posse Comitatus Act (18 U.S.C.1385), helped to enforce strict prohibitions on military involvement in domestic law enforcement. With one cloaked swipe of his pen, Bush is seeking to undo those prohibitions.

Public Law 109-364, or the "John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007" (H.R.5122) (2), which was signed by the commander in chief on October 17th, 2006, in a private Oval Office ceremony, allows the President to declare a "public emergency" and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities, in order to "suppress public disorder."

President Bush seized this unprecedented power on the very same day that he signed the equally odious Military Commissions Act of 2006. In a sense, the two laws complement one another. One allows for torture and detention abroad, while the other seeks to enforce acquiescence at home, preparing to order the military onto the streets of America. Remember, the term for putting an area under military law enforcement control is precise; the term is "martial law."

Hey, wait - he already did it? Be afraid; be very afraid. Power is intoxicating.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 am

sorry, i don't buy it. and we all know of my loathing and hatred for this administration.

he couldn't pull it off. there is no way that the MILLIONS of "Democrats", left wingers, liberals, libertarians, Green Party enthusiasts, anarchists, tree huggers, hippies, ANSWER Coalition, anti-war contigent would ever even let that get close to happen.

yes, our media does leave something to be desired. but that is what the Internet and books are for not to mention that people have NPR as well! and when i lived in NY we had the BBC World channel. man, i miss that. everyone has to take control of their own ability to find and disseminate information.

i still don't really buy it though. i've seen absolutely nothing rumbling around on other websites about anything like this coming up. i'll believe it when i see more than one article or "source" on it.

it could only happen if we LET IT HAPPEN.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby bermbits » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 am

I don't buy it either, but between the power grabs and secrecy of this cabal, I wouldn't be surprised. It's the stuff novels are made of.
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:08 pm

It's the stuff novels are made of

and remember.. truth is stranger ( and often uglier ) than fiction...
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby bermbits » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:16 pm

From a writer's perspective, novels have to follow rules.
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

does that count if they are a politician as well as a writer?
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:27 pm

*gasp* I feel I have to agree with Bedford's analysis here.

Out of curiousity, does anyone besides me remember 2000, when the same thing was said about Clinton? And how everyone of any sense simply said that the accusers were insane?

Some people will say anything about someone they dislike, even if it has no relationship at all to reality.

I denounced it as stupid Right partisan politics in 2000. I denounce it as stupid Left partisan politics now.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:30 pm

hope you're right...
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby threenorns » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:21 pm

you're damn skippy he'd do it in a heartbeat!

once he's no longer president, he's screwed, since he hasn't ay skills and abilities enough to even land a job at macdonald's.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby pilvikki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:35 pm

but he doesn't need any! he's got enough stashed, not to mention a royal pension.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby threenorns » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:37 pm

puh-leez. his wife is obviously handling the finances and if she's that smart, she'll dump his sorry ass as soon as he's the former mister president.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:40 pm

you're damn skippy he'd do it in a heartbeat!

Just stay out of the way about 30 days before the election...
thats about when I expect him to blow something up....
unfortunately , probably not himself.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:16 pm

Yes, I desperately need to make that lmao vid ASAP. Just need to find the right day so I won't be interrupted.

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Next

Return to Debate and Discussion