Has your Baby/child temper tantrums

Topics related to family affairs.

Has your Baby/child temper tantrums

Postby salamandrina » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:19 am

How do you reakt when it is difficult actually? My daughter just strted being difficult when it doesn't go her way. And that is hard work as she is born under the same sign as me (just four days before my birthdaydate.)
But even without being a Ram I've read a healty Child has to get through this phase....often pretty difficult for both.
Last edited by salamandrina on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:49 am

How old is your child?

The "terrible twos" can start at age one and continue to about age six. It's usually brought on by frustration or boredom, in my experience. Raising my boys, I always kept "mysterious" things around-- puzzles, binoculars, kalidescopes, interlocked-rings-type puzzles, etc. I never thought much of the idea of plunking a kid down in front of a TV just to get rid of him-- the TV they watched were game shows and Sesame Street-- things that challenged them.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:38 pm

I always thought that those temper tantrums from wee kiddies were caused, as Marv says, by sheer frustration. The kid's brain is just too far ahead of what its body can do, leading to anger and rage when s/he cannot articulate wants, needs, anxieties, etc and when her/his body/limbs/hands just will not do what s/he feels are necessary to do RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT. We have to learn patience, tolerance, kindness, co-ordination etc etc so for a wee one it's just a BIT TOO MUCH !!
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby salamandrina » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:41 pm

it obviously is;...
She will be 19 months old tommorrow
CLICK on the thumbnail above to see the full sized picture
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby threenorns » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 pm

nik used to have glorious shitfits - volcanic in scale.

i used to have hte typical reaction (blush furiously, hiss "stop that! stop it right this second!", look around helplesslyand apologetically, then eventually drag her out). then i learned to take control of the tantrum: i would keep a book handy and when she flung herself to the floor, i would sit down beside her and read the particularly good bits out loud. when she started to quiet down, i would say "hey! i can't hear you! louder!" and that would set her off again until she realized who was controlling whom and just lapsed into a sullen glare.

the trick, though, is to keep your mind clear and really look at what's causing it: a tantrum for a cookie might be that the child is hungry; a tantrum because you didn't pick her up might be that the child is tired or physically sore; etc. addressing the underlying need usually stops the tantrum in its tracks.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby pilvikki » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:28 pm

addressing the underlying need usually stops the tantrum in its tracks.

not always. once the wee darling gets going, often nothing will pacify it.

in squeaky's case, i once got bored of her antics and i sat down on her floor [in her room] and started reading while she raged away. then i thought of something and said "i'm going to..." whatever it was.

she stopped yowling and tamely tagged after me, the whole thing forgotten. if she starts, you might as well let her screech for a few minutes, then distract her and that's that.

it's definitely boredom, she's high maintenance and needs a lot more imagination and energy than i have. lucky it's summer so that we can go outside, or we'd be both having tantrums.

marv's ideas of games and things are also a good idea, keeps them busy.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:14 am

pilvikki wrote:[
in squeaky's case, i once got bored of her antics and i sat down on her floor [in her room] and started reading while she raged away.

This is exactly what to do, when you get all flustered trying to work out what is causing a kids temper tantrum it just makes it 10 times worse, pilvikki hit it on the head, when you just turn away (but not leave the room) and start to do something else they calm down within minutes. You've got alot of this to go through :roll:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 am

Personally I would be pretty scared if my hypotheticly-future-kid never had those...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby steg » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:32 am

my daughter still has temper tantrums and she is 25years old, but i'ts now called PMT at her age :lol:
virtutis gloria merces
steg
Helpless

Return to Family Matters