Would you consider adoption?

Topics related to family affairs.

Would you consider adoption?

Postby haysi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:11 am

I have been wondering about this lately.

Would you consider adoption? Would you adopt a baby or consider giving a home to an older child?

Do you know anyone who has adopted a child?

What is the adoption process where you live? Is it a difficult thing to do?

Thanks for any input

Hays x
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:31 pm

I would have no problem adopting a child. I have a foster brother, he came in at 17. In his case it was fairly easy, the childservice asked him where he wanted to live, he mentioned us and we said yes.

Babies are more difficult. you have to be a coupple with steady jobs, incomes and establishment. I don´t know all those rules.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Thank you for responding silke.

I think it is very difficult to foster or adopt in the uk. Its a shame because I am sure that there are lots of people who would love to do it.
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby lpg » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Look into it Haysi. You won't know for sure until you do and some kid may be out there waiting for someone just like you.

I always thought adoption made more sense than giving birth. But then again, I never wanted kids.
lpg
Hero Of The Day

Postby mdkilmer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:41 pm

My sister started out as a foster parent and ended up adopting 3 of them-- two sisters and an infant from another mother.

Personally, I think that should should have taken the older sister and gave the younger sister and the infant (now two years old) back.

There were a lot of other kids that she fostered that I'd be happier being an uncle to.

I have no idea what she went through to get the kids, but it was a long process even though she was their foster parent for quite a while. I know that you have to be married, with a stedy income, a stable household, enough living space, and she has to take them for State-regulated doctor visits at scheduled times.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby salamandrina » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:04 pm

seemsrules are a lot stronger for adopting a Kid than giving Birth to one....
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby haysi » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:17 am

I know a couple who foster kids and have fostered about 40 over the last 10 years. It must be difficult to let them go.
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby legend » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:07 pm

no .
youre too old haysi.
so i wouldnt consider adoption :biggrin:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:11 pm

in canada single people can adopt, but i sure as hell wouldn't recommend that unless it's an older child.

also, stay away from chinese adptions unless you have lots of money and time, i've heard some horrendous stories.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby skin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 am

If we can't get a kiddie ourselves, i think we will opt for adoption. No idea how that works though, when time comes, we'll figure it out.
Don't you hate it being in an utter good mood?
skin
Bad Seed

Postby Mads » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:57 am

I am currently in the process of legally adopting my god-daughter. She's 13 now, and it's easier for me, because I have the backing of her grandparents. Her parents both died in a car crash.

I have never considered adoption otherwise, but I do sponsor a few families from third world countries. I'd rather do that and keep the family unit together, than take the child away to live in a country that is strange to them. I also help orphanages in other countries.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Return to Family Matters