True where you are?

Topics related to family affairs.

True where you are?

Postby bermbits » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:54 am

This is today's quote from

"In the United States, it is now possible for a person eighteen years of age, female as well as male, to graduate from high school, college, or university without ever having cared for, or even held, a baby; without ever having comforted or assisted another human being who really needed help. . . . No society can long sustain itself unless its members have learned the sensitivities, motivations, and skills involved in assisting and caring for other human beings." - Urie Bronfenbrenner

It strikes me that this could be true anywhere; how about where you are?

(Of course, there are more than enough teens who probably have multiple children, but that's another post.)
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby emanresu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:34 am

The quote almost but not quite seems to put the responsibility of teaching the qualities of nurturing and humanitarianism on the educational system. While it's true that many useful habits can be gained in properly led group situations, not the least of which are the concepts of teamwork and mutual concern, selfless attributes are traditionally taught in the family unit by example. For whatever reason, that practice is not as widespread as it once was. To answer your original question, there's still a good deal of empathy for others in my neck of the woods (midwestern U.S.) but it is usually a strained affair preceded with a lot of horn-blowing (by both groups and individuals) and punctuated by a growing apathy.
Are we there yet?
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Silke » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:47 am

I kind of agree that that is parents and family's problem (or responsebility if you want) to teach their kids. School is not the one raising your children (all though because of the time spend there, it does have enormous impact), you are.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:30 pm

My next door neighbor is an elementary school teacher and tells me it is truly appalling how many people send kids off to school with not even a minimal amount of education in caring about others or having any etiquette in any department, and expect the public school system to be both educator, morals instructor, disciplinarian, and life coach -- all without touching said child. Occasionally in high school, teachers will have students "care" for a baby in the form of a five pound sack of flour, but it is true that a large percentage are unlearned in ideas of caring -- what should be a requirement for beginning life as an adult. Without having it turn into something like fascism or communism, I wouldn't mind seeing high schools require students perform a certain number of community service hours doing something like working with Habitat for Humanity or the local soup kitchen, so they have some idea of how the rest of the world lives.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Outlaw Torn

Postby haysi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Personally I dont think schools have a responsibility to teach about caring and nurturing. YES there should be an environment condusive to allowing pupils to demonstrate care etc but I dont think it should be 'taught'

Parents/family are the place to teach about nurturing/responsibilities and being a decent human being .

"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:25 pm

i'm not sure that the quote had anything to do with education per se, but demonstrated the fact that kids grow up without having any concept of caring.

very scary.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
Holier Than Thou

Postby emanresu » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 am

I agree, Pilvikki. That's why I put, 'almost but not quite' in my first sentence. Still, I think the association is probably intended.
Are we there yet?
Trapped Under Ice

Return to Family Matters