In Honor of Moms

Topics related to family affairs.

In Honor of Moms

Postby Valleysailor » Sun May 06, 2007 11:01 am

I think since Mother's Day is coming up in a week, May 12th, it would be nice if you could relate a happy mother's story to us. I was prompted to post this in response to answering Sandra's question about who were we closer to - our moms or dads. It seems like almost without exception, we were all closer to our moms.
So tell me a happy story about your mom ...
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Sun May 06, 2007 6:07 pm

My sister was extremely strict with her older daughter-- she wasn't even allowed to wear makeup at age 15.

One day I stopped at my mom's apartment. My niece (a frequent visitor as she lived very close) was in the living room and the pair were deep in animated conversation.

It turned out that my mother had bought a school backpack with a secret flat compartment in it. She had also restocked all my niece's favorite makeup materials and put them in the hidden pocket. It soon became apparent that my mom had been clandestinely buying makeup for a year. My niece would go to school early, apply her makeup, and wear it all day. Before she went home she'd carefully wash off all traces of it.

Tell on her? Never. Not only did it make the pair of them immensely happy to be doing this forbidden thing, but I feel that school life's cruel enough for a 15-year-old without having her stand out over such a thing.

I think it was the only time I ever saw my mother do anything even remotely naughty. Go, Mom!
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Mon May 07, 2007 8:42 am

my mom took my makeup away from me when i was in 9th grade as a punishment for lack of keeping up with my homework and schoolwork.

i, of course, am much, much, much smarter than my mother. i decide that i will just borrow other girl's makeup and then make sure i wash it off before i am picked up by my mother.

yeah, i'm super smart. i got caught with makeup like a week later! i had to bareface it for like 3 months after that one! but i brought my grades up and learned and extremely valuable lesson:

mom sees and knows everything.

and don't ever, ever lie or try to go behind her back. she always found out and i always ended up punished worse for lying and sneaking that whatever the original stupid thing i wanted to do was worth!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Skinjob » Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Most of the time our mothers never gave us as much hell as we gave them. Our mothers were precious and important; and they were as close to angels as we will ever see on this earth.

Today, would have been my Mother's birthday. She would have been 97 years old, but in my minds eye she is always young, and she is always in my heart.

She was the one that stayed up with me when I was ill. She was the one that made sure I had good food and clothes, and made sure I was safe and comfortable. No matter what the world handed me, my mother was always there, and always on my side. God bless her; she gave so much, and took so little.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby mdkilmer » Sun May 13, 2007 8:39 pm

In honor of all ever-patient moms...

So, we had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who just recently died.

Jack was a great cat and the kids would carry him around and sit on him and nothing ever bothered him. He used to hang out and nap all day long on this mat in our bathroom.

Well, we have 3 kids and at the time of this story they were 4, 3 and 1 years old. The middle one is Eli. Eli really loves chapstick. LOVES IT. He kept asking to use my chapstick and then losing it. So finally one day I showed him where in the bathroom I keep my chapstick and how he could use it whenever he wanted to but he needed to put it right back in the drawer when he was done.

Last year on Mother's Day, we were having the typical rush around, trying to get ready for Church with everyone crying and carrying on. My two boys are fighting over the toy in the cereal box. I am trying to nurse my little one at the same time I am putting on my make-up.

Everything is a mess and everyone has long forgotten that this is a wonderful day to honor me and the amazing job that is motherhood. We finally have the older one and the baby loaded in the car and I am looking for Eli. I have searched everywhere and I finally round the corner to go into the bathroom. And there was Eli.

He was applying my chapstick very carefully to Jack's . . . rear end. Eli looked right into my eyes and said "chapped." Now if you have a cat, you know that he is right--their little butts do look pretty chapped. And, frankly, Jack didn't seem to mind.

And the only question to really ask at that point was whether it was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cat's behind or the hundredth.

And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment ever, because it reminds
us that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little creatures, there will always be that day when you realize they've been using your chapstick on the cat's butt.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Family Matters