Do you mingle with family alot?

Topics related to family affairs.

Do you mingle with family alot?

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:26 am

I went to a party on Saturday and seen the usual suspects, inlaws, outlaws, aunts, uncles, cousins, old friends and made a few new friends. I only really see most of these people now on a family occasion, like a wedding, funeral, christening, special birthday. It's a shame really as we all get on so well when we do get together.

What about you. Do you keep in close contact with family or like me do you just kind of bump into one another now and then?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am

well, i live with my youngest daughter, her daughter, another granddaughter... the other two daughters call a lot, visit frequently.

but that's about it.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:26 pm

My sister and I see a lot of each other... but as for extended family,
aunts uncles cousins... they are now scattered and there are few times we get together..
too hard in times when everyone is working....
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby bea » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:30 pm

mostly bumping. I sort of live with my ma and sis but we v much ships in the night. DOn't see papa v much (maybe twice a year) but when i do the whole side of that family gets together and we all get lashed :biggrin: See my other side of family more often but not usually all at the same time.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:52 pm

joy of joys i live with my dad. but he's pretty rad so i can't truly complain. my sister and her two little kidlets visit quite a bit but not as much as i'd like. i spent a few months in NY visiting many relatives and that was AWESOME!!!! especially staying with my Aunt Elena for a week...she's 71 and looks [and acts] like someone in her 40s. she's kick ass!

other than special occasions like weddings or anniversaries we don't normally all get to be together at one time. we have visits and we go on vacations to visit.

but it's not nearly enough for me.

i have nothing to do with my mother's side of the family. they are the most useless bunch of humanity gathered in one swampy place.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sarah » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:41 pm

I see my dad's side of the family once a year and it's not very exciting (you don't get to know your aunts and uncles too well when you see them once a year). On my mom's side, I see my grandma all the time, but I only see my extended family if I go to the anual family reunion, which I also don't exactly enjoy. I really hate it, I wish so badly that I had a bigger family and that we all got together and shared the love!
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Mads » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:48 am

Once a month we all get together - aunts, uncles, cousins, the lot! It's usually at my house, which I don't mind. We'd only meet at funerals and weddings otherwise, and they're few and far between.
When helping the wicked, twisted and evil, expect no gratitude and be thankful if you escape with your life.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:43 am

Once a month we all get together - aunts, uncles, cousins, the lot! It's usually at my house, which I don't mind. We'd only meet at funerals and weddings otherwise, and they're few and far between.

now that is really great! I just don't think that sort of thing happens enough. When I was little.. it was every sunday and holiday at my maternal grandmothers
house. There were great times, good times, and some pretty awful ones... lol but it was family... you know?
Once my gram got too old and too sick . it sort of fell by the wayside. My own kids are scattered.. they live to far away to get them home on sundays..
but I wish!

.. life and the world has changed....
too bad...
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:53 pm

Enjoy your family while they are here -- believe me when I say they will be gone much too quickly. I am an only child and both of my parents have long since departed this earthly plane. I have not kept in touch with any of my other distant family, cousins, etc, but on occasion run into them as we live within about ten miles of each other. They don't bother to call or visit me, and I return the favor.
My husband's family, on the other hand, has always been around in Charleston and we visit with his brother and sister and miscellanous aunties and uncleys pretty regularly. I have been told that my husband did not visit and stay in touch with his family until he met and married me. I like his family though - why wouldn't I? They are a comical bunch!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Mads » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:12 am

solana wrote:now that is really great! I just don't think that sort of thing happens enough. When I was little.. it was every sunday and holiday at my maternal grandmothers
house. There were great times, good times, and some pretty awful ones... lol but it was family... you know?
Once my gram got too old and too sick . it sort of fell by the wayside. My own kids are scattered.. they live to far away to get them home on sundays..
but I wish!

.. life and the world has changed....
too bad...

Solana: They're usually good times, but we've had our moments! This month will be the last get together until Christmas though. My girlfriend's due to give birth in around eight weeks time, so it's too much for her. When the babies arrive, it'll be a total madhouse so Christmas seems the next best time.

After my grandparents passed on, we didn't see the family much at all. It's only since I've settled down and my sister's had children too, that we've all yearned to get together.

Why don't you ring your children and get that special 'Sunday,' in fact the whole weekend marked in your diary? You don't need an excuse! :D
When helping the wicked, twisted and evil, expect no gratitude and be thankful if you escape with your life.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:06 am

I have four kids.. ranging in age from nearly 30 to nearly 36...

One is In Baltimore Maryland
One is in Atlanta Georgia
One is in St Louis Missouri
And one in Charlotte North Carolina...

this means the closest one to me is about 5 hours drive away... the farthest about 14 or so....

One works for a huge company and supports many lawyers internationally ( computer)
one works in a college and supports the students
one is a web person for a large company
another works in finance

they have worked at these particular jobs for varying lengths of time, and have different amounts of time available for trips

it has been years since I have managed to have them all home at once...

but when I did I took pictures! lol

I do see most of them at least 2x a year ... some more.. one less... ( he is very ... frugal.. and unwilling to spend money on travel....lol)

I do wish though that we could get together .. all of us.. at least once a year...

on the good side though...

they do visit back and forth with each other ... as well as coming home..
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby bermbits » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 am

I have one brother who lives a few hours away. We're not close, but we have become more so following the passing on of our parents. We talk once or twice a week and see each other a few times a year. The only other relative is a first cousin in NY.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Family Matters