Books for children!

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Books for children!

Postby Lore » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:11 pm

I was in Waterstones today with a few friends and decided to go for a mooch around whilst another searched for a certain book. I found one of the other girls in the children's section tittering away to herself with a book she had bought for her grandaughter a couple of weeks back.
- she insisted I read it before we left the shop!

The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business

Synopsis
A terrible catastrophe befalls the little mole one bright, sunny morning. It looks a little like a sausage, and the worst thing is that it lands right on his head. So our plucky little hero sets out to find out who has left their business on his head.

Oh my! so there he is, this poor little mole who one day wakes up to find a pile of poo on his head. He knew he didn't do it, so, off he went in search for the filthy animal who did the dirty deed!
Everytime one of the other animals needed the loo, there he was continuing with his investigation! ...

I couldn't stop laughing either! I was so tempted to buy it but then thought on, it just wouldn't look cool at my age. :( I might just pop back and buy it for the class!! :idea:
Lore
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 pm

look good at your age?

good grief! i read kiddie books at the doctors office. as in who cares, a good book is a good book.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Makinamess » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 pm

I whole heartedly agree with Pivlikki - a good book is a good book ! I often get books out of the public library that are from the kiddies section - so what, they look interesting to me and that's what really matters !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby skin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45 am

Yesterday i've bought the 'Give me space' trilogy by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thea_Beckman" target="_blank">Thea Beckman</a>. It's kiddie age 12+. Still they are really fun to read and interesting too: the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years_War" target="_blank">hunderd year war</a> (in late middle ages europe between England and France) seen through the eyes of kids.

No misplaced shame at all; read what you like, even if it's 'kiddie' books, so buy the Little Mole book!
skin
Bad Seed

Postby mahtilda » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:23 pm

Just do what I do, buy it for your kids :wink:
mahtilda

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:18 am

Two of my all-time favorite books are children's books: The Littlest Prince and Charlotte's Web. Neither of these should ever be left on the shelf simply because they are "children's" books. Sometimes the greatest lessons we learn are from children ...
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby ashes13 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:40 am

:lol:
I know that book! We had a copy at one of our library branches. I actually bought a copy for a colleague of mine who fell about laughing when she first read it.

Another set that is quite amusing is written by Louise Rennison.
The titles include:

Knocked Out By My Nunga-nungas

Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging

"...and That's When It Fell Off in My Hand."
ashes13
Frantic

Postby salamandrina » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:42 am

My all time favourites are
Der kleine Mann+ Der kleine Mann und die kleine Miss from erich Kästner

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kleine-Mann-erich-Kaestner/dp/3789101532/sr=8-24/qid=1162736766/ref=sr_1_24/202-4935214-4422268?ie=UTF8&s=music">Link #1</a>

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kleine-Mann-Die/dp/3789101559/sr=8-26/qid=1162736890/ref=sr_1_26/202-4935214-4422268?ie=UTF8&s=music">Link #2</a>
(links edited by administrator)

here as cd's(?)
Its the story of a little Guy, little that he can sleep in a Matchbox
then I like all the Erich Kästner books.
more to follow....my daughter woke up ;-))
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby StVandal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:03 pm

I'm reading Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett right now, I get the feeling it's a kid's book, but it's still really good!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Often the kids books are far better written, a lot more care taken etc because the author knows his/her audience is going to be quite critical and not accept any old rubbish - the Philip Pullman "Dark Trilogy" stuff, for example, is beautifully crafted and very well written and had me totally gripped !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby salamandrina » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:50 am

I'm a huge fan of Childrens and youthbooks too ;-)
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Return to Reading