Excerpts From Bush's speech

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

Excerpts From Bush's speech

Postby jakimbro » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 pm

Bush: Even if strategy works, we must expect more Iraqi, US casualties

RAW STORY
Published: Wednesday January 10, 2007

President Bush outlined his new strategy to "change America's course in Iraq" in a speech to the nation this evening.

Bush plans to send an escalation of 21,500 troops to the nation which is either at - or approaching - "civil war."

"Even if our new strategy works exactly as planned, deadly acts of violence will continue – and we must expect more Iraqi and American casualties," Bush said. "The question is whether our new strategy will bring us closer to success. I believe that it will."

Much more with excellant links here:

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Excer ... _0110.html
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby legend » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 pm

onward into the valley of death rode the five hundred.
ffs more cannon fodder.
hail to the chief.
enter baaaaaaad4d to say how insignificant more dead american soldiers will be.
freedom comes at a price.
as long as you dont have to pay it eh???
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:55 am

I agree, Legend. The shrill of the Chickenhawk is always the loudest.

So, Dubya's new strategy is to do exactly what he's been doing for the past four years? Yeah that makes a lot of tactical sense, not! More troops will not win Iraq, in fact it hasn't been about winning for a long time, i know it still is for the zealot's, but for the rest of us it's about trying to stabilise the country to a point where we can leave without the country tearing itself apart. Winning doesn't even come into the equation.

Britain has started to pull the troops out because the public were sick of troops dying for no reason, if we could see progress then fine but there never was any.

It's like fighting fire with fire, all Dubya is doing now is napalming the fire.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:01 am

If we stop trying to be politically correct in engaging war, we could win it. Bomb a gfew masques that hold terror cells and go after the families of terrorist leaders would go a long way.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:01 am

More than a few mosques have been bombed already, terrorist leaders have been captured, Saddam has been executed. No amount of desperation will win this war. We need to train the Iraqi security forces, stabilise the country, get out. That would be victory in a lot of peoples eyes.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

70% against Surge

Postby jakimbro » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:51 pm

Poll: Americans oppose Iraq troop surge

By NANCY BENAC, Associated Press Writer
Thu Jan 11, 4:25 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Seventy percent of Americans oppose sending more troops to Iraq, according to a new poll that provides a devastatingly blunt response to President Bush's plan to bolster military forces there.

All sides in the Iraq debate are keenly aware of mounting public dissatisfaction with the situation: Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday it's one thing on which all Americans — including administration officials — are united.

Yet the Associated Press-Ipsos poll found widespread disagreement with the Bush administration over its proposed solution, and growing skepticism that the United States made the right decision in going to war in the first place.

Just as 70 percent of Americans oppose sending more troops to Iraq, a like number don't think such an increase would help stabilize the situation there, the poll suggested. When asked to name the most important problem facing the U.S., 38 percent of those polled volunteered war, up significantly from 24 percent three months ago.

The AP-Ipsos telephone survey of 1,002 adults was conducted Monday through Wednesday night, when the president made his speech calling for an increase in troops. News had already surfaced before the polling period that Bush planned to boost U.S. forces in Iraq.

The public's concern over Iraq was a prominent topic on Capitol Hill on Thursday as legislators reacted to the president's plan to increase troop levels by 21,500.

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Joseph Biden (news, bio, voting record), D-Del., harked back to the Vietnam War as he warned Rice that any solution to the Iraq problem must have public support. "They've got to sign on," he told her.

Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., told Rice: "You are not listening to the American people. ... And you wonder why there is a dark cloud of skepticism and pessimism over this nation."

But Republican Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) of Arizona said it would be an oversimplification to think that people just want the United States out of Iraq.

"They're understandably frustrated, they're understandably saddened," he said. "But if you can show the American people that there is a way forward to success, and also describe to them the consequences of failure, I believe this policy can be supported."

Iraq is a drag on Bush's overall job approval rating, too. That rating is at 32 percent in the latest survey, a new low in AP-Ipsos polling.

Just 35 percent of Americans think it was right for the United States to go to war, another record low in AP polling and a reversal from two years ago when two-thirds of Americans thought it was the correct move. Sixty percent, meanwhile, think it is unlikely that a stable, democratic Iraqi government will be established.

Democrats are far more inclined to oppose an increase of troops, with 87 percent against the idea, compared with 42 percent of Republicans.

Opposition to boosting troop levels is highest in the Northeast, where 79 percent of those surveyed were against the idea. That compares with 68 percent in the South and 67 percent in the Midwest and West.

The survey had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

___
On the Net:

Ipsos: http://www.ap-ipsosresults.com
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby kg5uc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Bedford: <i>"If we stop trying to be politically correct in engaging war, we could win it. Bomb a gfew masques that hold terror cells and go after the families of terrorist leaders would go a long way."</i>

No, I have to disagree with you here, Bedford. You are suffering the same misconception as President Bush and his administration when, near the beginning of the Iraq war, it was stated that Iraqis would welcome us as liberators and the war would be over within weeks.

The people we are fighting with - the Muslim Fundamentalist terrorists - are <i><b>not</b></i> fighting a conventional war, or even a conventional gorilla war with us. They are <i><b>not</b></i> fighting to protect home, family and country. They are <i><b><u>RELIGIOUS FANATICS</u></b></i>. In their minds, they are fighting "The Great Satan"...fighting because their Allah has commanded it. If they die in this great Jihad, Allah has promised them that they will go directly to heaven and have 26 vestal virgins, etc.

They don't care if you bomb mosques...that only gives them greater incentive to fight their war. The same if you go after their families, friends, countrymen, or whatever. They are not afraid to die (quite obviously, since one of their tactics is suicide bombing). They are largely unconcerned how many of their compatriots, fellow Muslims, or innocent women and children are killed (even in their own suicide bombings), or property is destroyed. It's all ever greater incentive to fight the Jihad.

I know it's hard to wrap one's mind around this concept, but we must try. In my mind, it is the single greatest mistake this administration made with regard to the war in Iraq...misunderstanding the mind and motivations of the Religious Fanatic, and continuing this war under the same misconceptions is as near to a disastrous choice as I can conceive.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby ohlia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:11 pm

There is nothing President Bush could say that would justify sending more troops to Iraq.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:13 am

Bedford wrote:If we stop trying to be politically correct in engaging war, we could win it. Bomb a gfew masques that hold terror cells and go after the families of terrorist leaders would go a long way.

As an educated man you must know that "if you think the solution to the problem is simple, you don't understand the problem."
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Bedford » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:23 am

I didn't say it was simple; I'm saying we need to do what we need to do.

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby jakimbro » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:31 am

Its not too late for you to join the surge, Bedford. You oughta go enlist and fight over there. It'd be the best thing for you.
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby Bedford » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:24 am

Sounds like fun.

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Skinjob » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Bedford, "The best thing for you"? That sounds like the lions trying to tell the Christians what is safe. :lol:

Remember when the Progressives, Marxists with a smiley face, were outraged at the "Death Highway", Hussein's retreat from Kuwait? After Hussein's forces had raped, murdered, and plundered Kuwait for weeks, and we ran them out, they formed a convoy of stolen property on their retreat. Our planes turned them all into Krispy Kritters; I still remember those dramatic pictures of the Death Highway. The Progressives in this country were totally outraged that we did that to those retreating criminals. But when the truth exposed the looting, rape, murder, and terrorism, the Progressives clammed up.

Currently they depict everything they can to discredit America, make us out as bad, and support the terrorists. This is nothing new for those traitors. Many of them claim to be Americans, themselves; But they left America in their black hearts a long time ago.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:43 pm

:lol: Skinjob, that's one of the funniest things i think i've ever seen. But shouldn't your post be posted in the humour category?
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby StVandal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:33 pm

Skinjob wrote:Currently they depict everything they can to discredit America, make us out as bad, and support the terrorists. This is nothing new for those traitors. Many of them claim to be Americans, themselves; But they left America in their black hearts a long time ago.

Ugh, it's creepy that people think like this.. It's like something straight out of Orwell.
When's the Two Minute Hate?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:58 am

We've done wonders in Iraq, and if that was reported on, there would be more approval. Instead, we keep hearing whining about 3000 American deaths in 4 years, when the Democrats gave us 3000 American deaths in 2 hours on 9/11.
Last edited by Bedford on Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:43 am

we keep hearing whining about 3000 American deaths in 4 hours

Wow, you really are a piece of work Bedford. I guarantee if there was ever a draft you'd be the first over the Canadian border.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:59 am

1) With my education, I'd be an officer in operations
2) With my eyesight, I would be rejected for military service
3) At almost 35, I wouldn't be desirable.
4) I'd love to serve my country, and being a veteran would help me eventually get a NPS job.

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:51 am

Excuses, excuses. How's your French, Bedford?
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby StVandal » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:17 pm

AJRC_CS wrote:Excuses, excuses. How's your French, Bedford?

lol.. I think there's height/weight constraints, too. But yeah, it's easy to talk trash about the military when you're a big, blind ogre.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Politics and Government