Strained Back Muscle

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

Strained Back Muscle

Postby Makinamess » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:36 am

I've strained a muscle in my back and am unable to move about very easily ! It's *OUCH* if I try to stand up quickly or bend over or reach out. I have no idea how I did it - it just came on Wednesday afternoon and by Thursday night I was in agony, so much so that I didn't even attempt to go to work on Friday (took a day's leave instead). It took me an hour this morning just to get dressed (hehe, I am still walking around without any socks on, I couldn't reach down that far). My body tells me to lie down but my first aid training tells me NOT to sit or lie still as I will just sieze up even further. I have moved my laptop to the dining table and expect to sit here rather than on the sofa. I went out for a walk yesterday afternoon to get a few bits and pieces and the exercise seemed to help loosen me up. Any suggestions as to what else I can do ?
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:11 am

Hi Messy,

Sorry to ear about your back. :( Taking a hot shower and allowing the water to massage the area helps a lot; let the water temperature be as hot as you can bear it. Or soaking in a hot bath also helps. But, my recommendation is to allow the hot water massage the sore muscles. Hope this helps and you feel better soon!
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36 am

OUCH!

I've had similar problems recently. It is no fun. You have my sympathy.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdkilmer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:28 pm

My sympathies, too. Try Advil and lots of bed rest.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:27 pm

a few years back i snapped my spine out of place by incorrectly picking up a piece of wood. i thought the pain would go away. i thought wrong.

eventually i went to see my medicine man who sent me to a chiropractor. i thought "yeah, whatever, sure..." i had spent 30 mins getting dressed and was wondering who was going to help me get dressed after the session...?

well, he pulled, twisted and yanked, said i was ready to go and lo and behold i was healed! praise the lord of your choice! he then mailed me back to the doc to pick up a couple of prescriptions. i was off work for a week and had to go back a couple of times, but i'll never forget that feeling of being able to bend down to put my clothes on!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:30 am

My girlfriend hurt her back two years ago, and she was in agony. Very hot baths do help, but just three visits to a Chiropractic Physiotherapist put her right. He even made her half and inch taller by correcting her posture, which was amazing.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:26 pm

well, how's your back now, messy? hopefully all better!

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Makinamess » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 am

Unfortunately not ..... :( I want a new body and I want it now !

I have just returned from the doctor's surgery and she confirmed that I had strained a muscle in my back but I was doing everything correctly - trying to keep moving so that I didn't seize up was right. She did give me some serious painkillers but I'm only going to start on a small dose of them, just enough to take the edge off the pain as I know if I take the maximum dose, I'll probably fall asleep and just wake up all stiff again !

Thanks for your concern guys !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 pm

I have suffered a similar episode with my back and the only thing that truly helps is ... time. I know that is not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is unfortunately the correct answer. Applying moist heat helps some but the only thing that heals it is itself over time.
Moist heat would be a hot water bottle as opposed to a heating pad which would be dry heat. Aleve or Advil or some other type of OTC pain reliever might be better for you than the prescription if you want to keep your mind clear. Hope you are back on your Messy feet again real soon!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 pm

i find that sleep actually helps fix a lot of my aching problems. but then again, i'm not nermal...

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:10 am

:omg: poor you messy, I've every sympathy for you, I hurt my back last year and the pain was unbearable. hope you start to feel better soon :love: xx
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Well, I am sure you will all be really pleased to learn that today was the first day I spent without too much pain ! I managed to get through this morning's seminar only by dint of some strong coffee and painkillers but by the afternoon, I no longer needed to take any ibuprofen... hehe.... plus the drive home from work was virtually pain free YAY !!! No, I am NOT going mountain climbing tomorrow, thank you...
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Health