Quotes and Proverbs

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Quotes and Proverbs

Postby van » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:18 am

Kia ora

History, (recorded, that is) has left us a legacy based on observation and practical experience
Recorded history (written)dates back 50 or more centuries
Yet what have we learned??
Sweet F A !, politely known as Fanny Adams!
History seems to pass us by, well most, however quotes we seem to recall, even if only in an attempt to teach an incorrigiable individual a lesson!
However, it never or seldom applies to US!
Is it any wonder the world is "Karitane Yellow"?
Therein lies understanding
In my neck of the woods "Karitane Yellow" has an implicit meaning, yet I seriously doubt that any on this forum have any understanding as to its meaning
I shall not divulge it except via a personal message, if you like, "Sorting the wheat from the chaff"
In the meantime allow me this for you to ponder:

"History is the propaganda of the victors."
­ Toller

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby bermbits » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:09 am

I heard it as "History is written by the winners." Pretty true!
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:35 am

I heard it same as berms. which is why I take much with a pinch of salt, if you know what I mean... after all, I can see what "history" say about samies... :wink:

what is more important is how the "looser" takes it? I mean... I stil live in a telt for godssake and people online have asked me if we have electricity! I of course had to tell the truth. No, we don't. the only reason I'm on nett is because we put some wire into the our fire and extract heat which we use for surfing the internet...*sigh*
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Skinjob » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:50 pm

"History is the lie we all agree on."
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:35 pm

Kia ora Skinjob

which is why I take much with a pinch of salt

Interesting quote
So why do you take your belief in the Bible so seriously?
Were all religious believers to take the Bible ,or any of their particular sacred writings , with a pinch of salt, I am sure the world would a better, more tolerant place

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill

OOPS! My apologies, didn't notice 2 different authors, blame on the oletimers!
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:54 am

Kia ora

the following Quotes have crossed my path
I love quotes
So much knowledge/wisdom, condensed into such few words, alas so few to grasp the meaning

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams, (1722-1803)

And a proverb

"It is better to live 40 years under a tyrant than one day under rule
by foreigners."
ancient Arab proverb

So little do we understand of other cultures, so little comprehension of what life is all about
Perhaps in a few months from now we will bewail that which has been unleashed, yet will we ever learn??

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:49 pm

I like reading quotes and proverbs; to me they are very philosophical. I think they have deep meanings and great lessons to be learned from them.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:06 pm

van dear...

So why do you take your belief in the Bible so seriously?

intresting that you ask... as I never have said I belive in the Bible as anything more than fiction. I've been raised with the bible(more or less), and if religious people want to use it as a argument, I won't stop them. I will play on thier terms, which isn't all that dificult thinking about all the times the bible contradicts itself...

If I am religious, my religion isn't written down anywhere. I good mix which is difficult to share, all though I'll try if anyone wants to hear it. I do not however try to convert people to anything. I merly question their faith, as I do all, even my own.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:59 pm

Kia ora Silke

I made a mistake when I made that comment
Not having noticed that both you and Skinjob posted, I attributed your comments to Skinjob and replied accordingly
You may note at the bottom of that post , I acknowledged my error and apologised
Sorry for the cockup

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:12 am

Van wrote:So little do we understand of other cultures, so little comprehension of what life is all about
Perhaps in a few months from now we will bewail that which has been unleashed, yet will we ever learn??

I agree, some peoples hatred is based purely on ignorance, this is the worst kind of hatred. Ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds hatred and hatred breeds paranoia. If the ones that hate would just try and learn about other cultures, it would lead to a new era of peace. But as you have said, in a few months maybe a new load of hatred will be spewed upon us.

Will we ever learn? Probably not in my lifetime, but hopefully the seeds are being planted that could mean my sons generation starts to see right from wrong.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Silke » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:58 am

ops, didn't see that van...

things are all ready happening in that department as more and more people get on internett, the world gets smaller, but I think it is optimistic to belive it get much better in your sons generation, AJ. I hope for my grandchildren when thinking worldwide...
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:16 pm

things have improved drastically in my lifetime: when my family moved to sweden in /61, finns were despised privately and publically. now they advertize "direct from finland" products in full page ads and finnish names pop up everywhere.

now, why would that be?

ah, after having thrown open their doors to one and all in the whole world, they now have other people to worry about; finns and gypsies turned out pretty tame compared to muslim fanatics, the russian mafia, bader-meinhof, an entire suburb of mostly somalis demanding education in their own language, which they haven't quite decided on how to put down in writing yet, etc.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinkeby

in this case wki is preety well right on and i forgot about the rinkeby swedish; a bastardized swedish which developed out of an excess of imigrants in one area.

check out the million programme.

it will be intresting to see how they'll dig themselves out of this mess; it's almost like karma caught up a millenium later.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:59 pm

Kia ora

Ignorance and arrogance the most frightening condition
Yet as mentioned, the information is but a click away
Much has been made of "brainwashing and conditioning" particularly as it relates to religious "cults", "commies", "leftists" "axis of evil terrorists" etc, yet when I examine many comments by those who pride themselves as being "western educated", I see their comments reflect that which they condemn!

"In expanding the field of knowledge, we but increase the horizon of ignorance."
- Henry Miller

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:50 am

i've lost it now, but having lived between russia and the west and then having moved further west, i saw over both sides of the fence and used to marvel at how short-sighted people are when it comes to others.

now i suppose i'm as obtuse as the rest.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Kia ora Marjaana

it will be intresting to see how they'll dig themselves out of this mess;

I sense it is part and parcel of this PC orientated society
Rather then educate people and let them learn via experience, making mistakes along the way, everything is legislated
Again I suspect that it will lead to more violence
When people are dragged thru the courts on the slightest pretense, it will not take long before someone says "Enuf!"
As more and more become disadvantaged it is merely a matter of time

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Return to Brain Formation