How much is your dog worth?

If they swim, slither, prance, fly or just sleep on the couch with you, this is where you can tell us about your pets.

How much is your dog worth?

Postby Yogi » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:54 am

I ran across this blog which brings up an interesting question. How much would you pay to keep your pet alive - a dogie in this case? We had to put down our last dog because she developed several old age diseases. The vet suggested a course of treatment, but it got into the thousands of dollars range, with no guarantees. Essentially we made the heartbreaking decision based on costs. Of course, in humans that would not be a factor, but in animals it is.

So ... how much is YOUR dog (pet) worth?

<a href="http://stanleybing.blogs.fortune.com/2007/04/27/what-is-the-cost-of-one-dog-barking/?section=magazines_fortune">Read the blog</a>
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby mdlvettechie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:37 am

in this case, I would pay it. I would consider cancer treatments if I had a young pet, I would fix broken bones, I would do surgeries to help my pet. But I am realistic with the problem the pet has, there are some conditions that I would not wish on any dog, and I would be humane if I had a pet with any of those. Money isnt really an object with my pets, its more quality of life and thier happiness.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-- Immanuel Kant

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
mdlvettechie
Frantic

Postby Silke » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:19 pm

my pets would be worth life-quality. I'm not of the richest and so everything has a prize. One of the reasons I don't have pets: I can't afford them (both timewise and economically)
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 pm

we have spent enough on our pets: my old faithful had a cyst on his elbow and developed septicemia. that cost over $1000, thanks to the greedy vet who decided to talk hubby into all kinds of extra tests that smokie didn't need after i'd already said so. [why not, i was paying for it!]

then he got cushings and that set me back a 1/4 of my miniscule pension.

he lived to be just shy of 14, which is quite the feat for a wolf/shepherd mix -- and ye gods how i miss his big brown eyes!

Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:26 pm

I really want a dog and a cat. I could afford to feed them, but I couldn't afford a vet if one of them got sick. That's why I don't have any animals. :(
I'd pay whatever the cost for whatever the animal needed, as long as I had the money.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:31 pm

my bree is worth 9 pounds a month. shes insured so she can get as ill as she likes and she'll always be able to get better
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Tue May 01, 2007 11:49 am

I would pay whatever I had to to keep my pet alive. GiGi has suffered some severe allergy/skin problems for which I have spent several hundreds of dollars trying to get her some relief including with a vet dermatologist. I didn't even know there was such a thing!

I think we finally got to the source of her problems and have fixed it with http://www.nzymes.com together with a good old-fashioned remedy: H2O2 - a.k.a. hydroxen peroxide!

My last furbaby lived to within two weeks of her 20th birthday and like the proverbial old lady who lives to 100, she never needed a doctor!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:00 am

And while on this subject (again!), I took GiGi back to the vet yesterday -- the damage? $193. and some change. Granted, she got her rabies shot & tag, that parvo virus shot thing, a shot for the itching, the butt gland expelled, a $22. bag of Science Diet food that is non-allergen, a $17. bottle of special shampoo, a 14 day supply of antibiotics, and various and miscellaenous things that no dog or human should have to endure. I felt SOOO sorry for her, she just couldn't stop scratching. She is feeling much better today and after her bath last night with the new stuff, her skin is not as inflammed as it was. Doc thinks she has a protein allergy which could be anything from chicken to grass. :shock: So the only logical way to approach treatment is to eliminate everything except the new food and water. This is going to be much harder for me than it will for her!!
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 am

i would spend a reasonable amount but thousands of dollars? nope. only if i was so wealthy all my bills could be paid easily and without trouble.

we had a poodle named Gigi and when she was about 17 we had her put down because it wasn't cost effective to keep her alive. i think after a certain age point it's not smart to basically throw money away on a pet. i'm all for doing a humane thing and letting them go peacefully. my mom held Gigi while they put her to sleep and we had her cremated.

well, until my dad threw the box away while cleaning out stuff thinking it was just some random box. :confused:
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:03 pm

I rescued my dog 2 1/2 years ago... cost? 100$

6 months later he fell ill. 1800$ later he was diagnosed with Addison's disease..
( a disease where the adrenals stop working.. )

for a year, monthy bloodwork and meds..about 100$ a month

now, I give his shots myself.. his meds cost about 70$ a month....

he is about six months old.. and to me?

worth every dime and more..
I love him to bits...
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby solana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Vandel

you are always so mature and filled with common sense !

good decision for now....
but I hope that someday you can have pets in your life and be able to care for them properly

:D
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:28 pm

see i couldn't justify that kind of expense to myself. my lifestyle doesn't have money for $1800 extra dollars for vet bills!!!! i wouldn't want to have to live a life where i had to come up with that money! eep.

sorry, i'm sure that makes me mean. but it's also the reason why i don't own any animals and haven't in the last 8 years on my own. animals are great but knowing i have peace of mind at the end of the month with all my bills easily paid is more worth it for me.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Care Credit...
a card to pay for vet bills....I was okayed for 3 thousand dollars...
and signed an agreement to pay 3300 for his hospital stay when he was finally diagnosed..
but it didn't come to that much... inly 1200$ there and the rest with my local vet who didn't diagnose him ..

I couldn't give up on him.. and I paid it off in a year.....
lol, and now that I give him his shots expenses are down....

But it insures that I will be working for a few more years ........

I don't have a lot of disposable income, but I could thing of no better reason to go out
on a limb than for my kids or my pets...

but that is me.... and we all have to do what we feel is best for us
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:56 pm

i had horrid credit. there is no possible way i could pay that sort of bill off ever!!! so i choose to enjoy other people's pets and donate a few bucks here and there to the local Humane Society instead.

i couldn't live with myself knowing i spent that kind of money on a pet when i have such little money overall. that's like 4 months of fully paid bills for me! i just couldn't do it.
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:45 pm

like bea, my dog is insured for any medical problems, but if she wasn't I'd pay what was necessary to make her well again.

CLICK on the thumbnail above to see the full sized picture
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Sandra - your furbaby is so adorable. I thought I was going to have a little prissy dog like that, but mine turned out to be such a tomboy. She loves rolling in dirt and chasing squirrels.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Valleysailor wrote:Sandra - your furbaby is so adorable. I thought I was going to have a little prissy dog like that, but mine turned out to be such a tomboy. She loves rolling in dirt and chasing squirrels.

Hey VS :D

yes, she is adorable, but I think she's more of a tomboy than a lady, she just gives me that look when we dress her up, like :wtf:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Pets