Messy Surprise

Be you a gourmet or a gourmand, this is the place to share recipes, stories, and experiences.

Yummy Potatoes

Postby Makinamess » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:27 pm

If you like potatoes, you will love this dish !

Messy's Yummy Potatoes

4 medium sized potatoes (about 1 lb/450 g)
1” (2.5 cm) cube of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 large cloves garlic (optional), peeled and roughly chopped
2 small fresh green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 fl oz (¼ dl) vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
¼ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt

Boil the potatoes in their skins until just tender. Drain them, leave to cool, peel and cut into 1” (2.5 cm) dice.

Put the ginger, garlic, chillies and 2 fl oz (½ dl) water into a food processor and whiz till it’s a rough paste.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds. Stir well and watch them pop ! Add the onions, turn down the heat and allow to cook for about 5 minutes until translucent (don’t let them burn).

Add the ginger, garlic and chilli paste as well as the turmeric, stir well and cook for a minute or so. Add the potatoes, 8 fl oz (¼ l) water and the salt. Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove the cover and break the potatoes into halves or quarters with a wooden spatula, so you now have ½ " (1.5 cm) cubes. Cover again and allow to heat through for another five minutes.

Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:14 pm

Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat Salad)

115 g (½ cup) bulgar (cracked) wheat
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
½ small onion, finely chopped
60 g fresh parsley, very finely chopped
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Place the wheat in a large bowl or saucepan, pour over freshly boiled water and allow to soak for at least half an hour (the grains will double in size, so use plenty of water).

Cut a small cross in the tomatoes where the stalk used to be, place them in a small, deep bowl or saucepan and pour freshly boiled water over them, covering them up. Leave for about 10 minutes, pour off the water and gently peel off the skin. Finely chop the tomatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.

Chop up the onion and parsley and add to the bowl. Add the lemon juice, oil and salt and then drain the wheat, getting rid of as much water as possible. Add the wheat to the bowl and mix everything up really well.

Serve chilled with crisp cos lettuce leaves.

As I didn't have quite enough fresh parsley, I added some finely chopped cucumber (just for the colour of course hehe)
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Rice Salad

100 g rice (I like short grain brown rice but any sort will be ok)
½ small onion, finely chopped
½ each red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper, all finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
¼ cucumber, finely chopped
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the rice in plenty of water, rinse, drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped vegetables, chick peas, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Eat. Now how easy was that ? You can of course add any of your favourite chopped vegetables instead and if you like it, a small amount of vinegarette.

Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Fizzy Chicken & Lemon Vinaigrette

Postby Valleysailor » Sun May 06, 2007 9:51 am

As promised - sorry Messy - it's not vegetarian, but DOES feature veggies.

1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 T, honey
1 T chopped fresh chives
2 t. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. vegetable oil
Combine all whisking until emulsified.

Cook 1 c. converted rice as package directs. Just before serving combine cooked rice with 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, 1/4 c. heavy cream & 1 T. butter.

Salt & pepper 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts and dredge in 1/4 c. all-purpose flour. Saute in 2 T. oil over medium high heat for 2 minutes or so, turn and brown 2 more minutes.
Deglaze the pan with 1/2 c. club soda, reduce heat to medium and add 1 T. butter and 1/2 t. red pepper flakes. Cover & simmer low until liquid is syrupy.

Serve chicken topped with lemon vinaigrette, Parmesan rice and veggie medley described below:

1 1/2 c. shaved zucchini
1 1/2 c. shaved carrots
2 T. butter
1 T. minced fresh parsley

The shaving works well with a potato peeler or just slice sideways really thin. Saute for just 2-3 minutes until tender. Off heat add parsley and salt.

Bon appetite!

(I will try to post the picture tomorrow - my server seems sluggish today - kinda like I feel :neutral: )
[/img]
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Montreal Thighs

Postby Valleysailor » Sat May 12, 2007 7:57 am

Here's the simplest thing I can do with chicken:
Brown some boneless skinless thighs in a small amount of oil. You might want to season the chicken with some Montreal Chicken seasoning. Once browned, push them to the outside of the pain and dump in some cut up red potatos and squash. Salt n pepper that pan and slam a lid on it. Steam on medium low heat for about 20 minutes. Stir and leave lid off for another 5-7 minutes, stirring a little until the potatos & squash brown up and you have a nice little one pot dinner.

Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby sassie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:47 am

My meatballs for spaghetti

Meat Balls ..

Ground Round
Ground Pork
Onion / grated
Eggs
Fresh Garlic. chopped
little dash of good olive oil
little glug of wine if you have
A can of petite chopped tomatoes juice and all
Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese / 2-3 handfuls
oregano
salt
pepper
parsley
Fresh Bread Crumbs

I put it in pretty much in the order I have listed .

I am not big on measurements so let me give it a try . more ground Round than Ground pork (half as much pork ) One large onion 2-3 eggs lots of fresh garlic. . 2-3 handfuls grated cheese . oregano salt pepper and parsley . well you know how much of that you like you know whatever enough bread crumbs to make the mixture firm

Roll into firm Balls brown in olive oil until brown on all sides .. then add a cup or so of water to steam they will firm up nicely and stay together in the sauce.. remove and add to you favorite sauce.

sorry i have no picture..
sassie
Helpless

Postby Valleysailor » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:48 am

ohhhh, I have a mental picture and they look DELICIOUS!!!!!!!
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:04 am

Indeed. Using two types of meat is an excellent idea.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby sassie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:37 pm

Valleysailor + bedford Thanks :lol: .. I will have to remember to take a picture next time I make them...
sassie
Helpless

Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Postby Bannerman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Firstly, I apologise if my 'weights & measures etc' seem odd - I'm in the UK, and it seems we're not allowed to use pounds & ounces anymore :wink:

Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Ingredients
Stewing lamb - 500g, in rough chunks
2 tablespoon Olive oil
2 large Onions
2 large Garlic cloves
½ a Lemon
2 tins Chopped tomatoes
Fresh thyme - a few sprigs
2 teaspoons of 'Ras el hanout' see below
50g Apricots
400g Cooked chickpeas
Spinach leaves - 1 packet, thoroughly washed, dried and chopped
Salt, freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Using a very hot pan and the olive oil, brown the lamb chunks in batches.

2. As they cook, put them into your ovenproof dish and squeeze the half lemon over.

3. Add a little more oil to the pan and fry the onions and garlic, season them with salt
and pepper and stir over a moderate heat so that they cook without burning.

4. Add to the ovenproof dish with the tomatoes, thyme, Ras Al Hanout, apricots and chickpeas.

5. Cook at 190°C/375°F for an hour and a half until lamb is tender.

6. For the last ten minutes of the cooking time add the chopped spinach to the dish along with seasonings.

7. Serve with rice or couscous.

Ras El Hanout: (رأس الحانوت). It is a 'must have' blend of herbs and spices is used across the Middle East and North Africa. The name means "head of the shop" in Arabic, and refers to a mixture of the best spices a seller has to offer.

There is no set combination of spices that makes up ras el hanout, but most versions contain over a dozen spices, including cardamom, mace (spice), nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground chili peppers. Some recipes include over one hundred ingredients, some quite unusual, such as ash berries, chufa, Grains of Paradise, orris root, Monk's pepper, cubebs, dried rosebud, and the potentially toxic belladonna and Spanish fly (however, the sale of Spanish fly was banned in the spice markets of Morocco in the 1990s). Usually all ingredients are toasted and then ground up together. Individual recipes are often improvised.

It is often believed to be an aphrodisiac.
Bannerman
n00bie

Previous

Return to Food